Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG T3 floppy drive issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sythn-boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: KORG T3 floppy drive issue Reply with quote

hi all

i'm finding info hard to find for the T3!

anyway i recently repaired this nice synth as it had been well used

i have one last problem with the floppy drive

it starts to format and says "formatting" on screen but when it get's right to the end of the formatting process it displays a message saying " data error"

now i don't know if this is the drive itself as usually a dodgy drive would not format from the word go

according to the manual it uses 1.44mb HD disks which i am using

can anyone advise if anyone else out there has one of these keyboards!

would be great to have it fully working Smile
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I just caught your post. Its been a while so maybe you no longer need this info, but in case you do I hope this might be helpful to you.

I have an O1W/fd.
Now, assuming the floppies used on T-series were same (likely), the "fix" is simple.

First, to understand why the fix works a little background info is necessary.
Even though the manual states you can use 1.44MB disks, the truth is you can only use 1.44MB floppies if the drive is the original Korg issue drive that was installed by Korg.

I know this sounds wacky, and I used to know the complete explanation (the one that made sense).
But in essence, something like the original drives couldn't tell the the difference between a 720k and a 1.44... whatever..it's been a long time!
And get this, even the replacement drives sold by Korg had this problem.
By the way, I know this is fact because I'm speaking from personal experience.

Since you're getting the data error right at the end of the format operation I'm assuming the drive in your synth has been replaced at one time or another.

Now, here's the fix.
Stick a piece of tape over the right hole of your floppy disk (the one without the write protect switch).
Make sure the tape covers both the top and bottom of the hole. This is of critical importance.
The reason for the tape is to 'trick' your Korg into thinking its got a 720k floppy instead of a 1.44.
It will then format the disk as if it were a 720k and you're in business.

If for some reason this doesn't work, make sure the tape is covering both the top and bottom over the hole.
If it is and it still doesn't work then try using a piece of tape more opaque in color.
Honestly, I've never needed to do this. Good old Scotch tape works fine as long as the hole is completely covered, top and bottom.

Hope this helps.

David
sythn-boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorted it

the drive would not write data or format but can load

anyway the drive is dead and i have now replaced it

if anyone has a T3 and has the same problem, message me as soon i will have some replacement drives for sale (only for the T3) and they won't be selling for silly money either! Wink
sythn-boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used fully working replacement drive for the T2 and T3 - £25 plus postage

i'll include a floppy disk of the original factory sounds too

exact fit as original drive - no modifications whatsoever, just remove the old one and replace

message me if interested

NOTE: i only have the drive for the KORG T2 / T3 so please don't ask me for other synths

thanks
Ricoche

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Old post I know but topic still relevant today.

I recently purchased a Korg T2 EX and am getting the dreaded "data error" message and the floppy drive won't work.

Is it likely that buying a replacement drive will fix the "data error" or is it something else?

T2 floppy drives are being sold on Ebay and I might pick one up.

Thanks!

Jim
sythn-boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 1 x T2 drive left

£20 delivered (in the UK) postage more if outside

NOTE: the drive i have has a white front/button ok NOT black

so it will look different even though it fits in the same

reply if interested Smile
Ricoche

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! PM Sent.

Jim
Ricoche

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the drive. Hopefully I'll have a fully working T2 EX shortly.

Jim Smile
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the T2, I had a T3 ex for many years and I loved it! Hermanmusic that is very heady troubleshooting. There are a lot of great folks on this forum.Smile
Ricoche

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Today I managed to solve my "data error" problem with the Korg T2 EX Floppy Drive. What I found was that the Korg T2 EX would not format any floppy I gave it including anything with tape on it. I had discovered this when I tested and successfully installed the HxC floppy drive emulator and started working with Omniflop and CopyQM.

When I was able to format and copy a Korg T2 EX image file to a floppy via Omniflop, my T2 EX Floppy Drive worked perfectly. I then used that same disk and formatted a blank floppy in the T2 EX. I was then able to load, save, format, etc on the T2.

As a result, I took the formatted "blank" T2 EX floppy and ripped a .img file using Omniflop. I was then able to take literally any HD floppy disk and copy the image file to create a new pre-formatted T2 EX floppy. I then found my T2 EX floppy drive worked perfectly with these floppy disks. "hermanmusic" is likely correct in theory, but the use of the tape is not likely to work for everyone as in my case.

My advice to anyone with the "data error" message is to get a physical floppy disk that is already formatted for the T2 EX or T3. That "should" work. Then use Omniflop to make copies of that formatted disk for the T2. EVERYTHING will work 100% with preformatted T2/T3 disks.

The "data error" message does not mean your floppy drive is broken, nor does it means it's dirty necessarily. The is an HD disk format issue and the only way around it for me was to create and feed it with pre-formatted Korg T2/T3 blank disks. End of problem!
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work yourself, Ricoche! Thumps up. Smile
Alexandro9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: KORG T3EX floppy replace Reply with quote

Hi
I tried to replace floppy drive at my T3EX by USB Floppy Emulator
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-1-44MB-USB-SSD-FLOPPY-DRIVE-EMULATOR-E100S-Version-/230694431364?pt=UK_Computing_FloppyDiskDrives_SM&hash=item35b675aa84

but Korg doesn't format it ( BAD DISC message ) or hangs up with formating process

are anyway to replace original drive by the same model
like this for example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-1-44MB-3-5-Black-Floppy-Drive-Model-FD1231M-/400246259276?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item5d30893e4c
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... That's a tough one. There's no other way than buy and try, as far as I know there's very little information out there on the drive compatibility with T series. I think it is a little more forgiving than older synths, but the format is very different from regular DOS and therefore not all drives will be compatible - as your experience with the USB drive might suggest.

What's wrong with the old drive? Usually a good clean (several passes) with a cleaning disk and (if applicable) a belt replacement cures such problems, those drives are built rather robust, by my experience.
Jeff_HxC2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthjoe wrote:
Hmmm... That's a tough one. There's no other way than buy and try, as far as I know there's very little information out there on the drive compatibility with T series. I think it is a little more forgiving than older synths, but the format is very different from regular DOS and therefore not all drives will be compatible - as your experience with the USB drive might suggest.

As said Ricoche earlier in this thread, the HxC Floppy Emulator already works with the Korg T2 EX. So this should works without problem with the Korg T3.

Here his feedback :
http://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/korg-t2-ex-importing-pcm-samples-and-floppy-drive-repair/
Quote:

UPDATE #1: The Korg T2 EX works with the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator. Awesome!! I installed the HxC Floppy drive emulator into the Korg T2 EX, made some configurations to the floppy drive cable and HXCSDFE.CFG of the emulator. Presto it worked flawlessly! I converted some DSM-1 .DSK images to .HFE files and the HxC Emulator loaded up the PCM samples perfectly. I now can dump all my .DSK PCM images to one SD Disk in the HxC. I have further testing to do with regards to saving data but that shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll update with more info shortly. If your Floppy Disk Drive is broken on the Korg T2 EX, the HxC is a fantastic and powerful replacement solution.

More informations on the HxC Floppy Emulator project page :
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

If you have any question regarding the HxC Floppy Emulator don't hesitate to contact me. Smile
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a great little piece of kit solving a lot of the complicated FDD compatibility issues but a bit pricey to my taste. Not talking about development effort and production cost, just referring it to my taste. Smile

Certainly cheaper than the (second hand?) replacement FDD drive at $160 Shocked for the 01/W in the other thread, but more expensive than a potentially successful FDD cleaning kit (at about $5)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: