Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it true korg samples sound differently now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microkorgy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Is it true korg samples sound differently now Reply with quote

compared to before, it's what some have told.

If so, why? Did anyone ever complain that a synth sounded too 'warm'?

And do real instruments ever sound cold? No. Fluit, piano, guitar, all sound warm, compared to cold. Why would they do that, and stick with it, I don't get it. Only to then end up with a bunch of retro oriented synths as people crave the old sound? Why not just stick with the warmer sample frequency?

Is there a way to tweak the higher sample frequency in newer synth, to get the same warmer sound as the older synths?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the 'warmer' sound of the older synths is exagerated compared to the real thing. But people liked it and so some people still see that kind of sound.

IMO the (real) EPs on the M3 and M50 sound much more like the real thing - or at least a finished studio recording of the real thing. It is mainly the synth waves that suffer.

The warmer sound has however become desirable. KORG needs to find a way to implement both. The drive and punch parameters go some way towards this but aren't really the same. I think you could probably get a similar sound with some clever programming - use of drive/low boost, limiter and decimator for example.

but also not sounding so warm or 'fat' helps to fit in better with a mix with other instruments. In modern rock particularly (up until recently anyway) keyboards have taken a back seat and need to blend in more than be heard.

I don't think the newer synths have to sound 'cold', and not being fat or warm does not necesarily mean that it is cold either. But I think the problem is not the synth but mainly a lack of programming. For example

I've mentioned a number of times when people complain that the Radias sounds cold and digital compared to the MS2000 or microKorg:
It does sound cold and digital, when you start from an init patch and do the same things you do on the MS2000. But when you bring in the other parameters like drive and punch and play with the EQ and compression you can get a really fat analog sound that is sometimes even more powerful than that on the MS2000. It can be all these things but you have to program the sound to be that way. It is just more flexible. For example I wouldn't go to the MS2000 for a really cold atmospheric digital pad because it would sound too warm, whereas on the Radias I could do a cold digital atmospheric pad and a really fat bassline at the same time.

Warm keyboard sounds only suit a percentage of the people who want these sounds, whereas the ability to do both suits a lot more people.
And from the perspective of a workstation, having realistic 'real' instruments is more desirable than having really exaggeratedly warm and fake sounding instruments.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they sound different. Korg's acoustic samples sound much better and more realistic now. Still not up to par in certain parts, but much, much better than what was on AI/AI2/HI.
microkorgy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool answer.

I didn't wonder so much about accoustic instruments as the synths overall warmnesses.

They could've used the frequency that best emulates real instruments for the acoustic instrument samples. But why change frequency for the whole synth?

Synthesized sounds will sound more 'real' when they're warmer, have more presence.

I agree it'd be best if they provide both in a synth so users could select themselves, and how hard would it be for them, and why given the demand for older 'warmer' sounds don't they seem to commit to it?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 'warmth' is down to just the sampling quality, but probably a number of things. If you consider all that goes in to it: microphone/recording medium, processing (most samples are heavily compressed), sample compression on the ROM chip, digital and analog circuitry in the keyboard, particularly the D/A converters.

I think a lot of it is actually down to the D/A converters which were not so perfected back in the 80s and 90s and it was still an emerging technology for audio use.

And there is Korg's 'Decimator' which you can use to reduce bit depth and sample rate. I use this quite often in my own programs.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicians have been using old sounds from way back to the 60s or 70 when synthesizers where just a dream. Take the Mellotron, for example. All Mellotron lovers (me included) forgive me, but they sounded horrible. All the wow and flutter and low quality tape recordings. Now, the fact was that it was the ONLY thing that could reproduce a brass section, or a choir or a strings section without having to haul the London Philharmonic around.

Fast forward 30-40 years and we find ourselves trying to recreate those sounds. Synths of today have amazing strings, brasses and choirs, BUT the problem is, they sound like the London Philharmonic or the English Chamber Choir. Now we must use decimators, or tape echo effects to "turn down" these sounds and make them sound more "like the old stuff".

That is one of the reasons people think sounds of old where warmer than sounds of today. Old synths had all the presets and samples with all effects and eq taken care of. Today samples are, as Tony Banks pointed out in a Korg interview, "nude". But that is a good thing, since now we can just apply the right amount of effects and eq to turn that nude sound into recreating the old synth sound we learned to love and cherish.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
Musicians have been using old sounds from way back to the 60s or 70 when synthesizers where just a dream. Take the Mellotron, for example. All Mellotron lovers (me included) forgive me, but they sounded horrible.

I wouldn't say they sound horrible, they just don't sound like their purpose- to emulate real instruments. But as there own instruments, they sound great (IMO) though only for certain kinds of music.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:

I wouldn't say they sound horrible, they just don't sound like their purpose- to emulate real instruments. But as there own instruments , they sound great (IMO) though only for certain kinds of music.

You are totally right. I used the wrong words. I didn't meant it sound horrible, but not for what it was intended for, which was (as you pointed out) to emulate the real instruments. Which in fact they where, because the tapes contained real recordings of real instruments, but the technology of that era didn't helped, and the end result was a low quality sound, which by accident was awesome, and so much that we are all trying to get it back with samplers and effects.

My point is, that old synths have their charm, because the sound designers did a great job, even if they didn't nailed the real sound they where intending to. Now, today's synths are more "realistic" in the true nature of the word, but that means the sounds are like recorded in a perfect room, with perfect mikes and sampled to a high rate. Which in fact they are, but they sound too clean and perfect, so we must use effects like the decimator and tape echo to name a few to bring them down to the warmth of late.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans

Last edited by mocando on Sat May 15, 2010 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microkorgy wrote:

Did anyone ever complain that a synth sounded too 'warm'?

Yeah i'm sure people did...the AI2 synths def had a "warmth" about them. The 01/W's multisounds were said to be sampled at 32kHz, and that apparently gave it a certain presence. Word is, they only did this so that the sample ROM wouldn't take up too much space, because they had to fit 255 multisounds into 6MB. In reviews of all of the AI2 synth lines, reviewers often referred to the sounds as "cartoonish," like a clarinet sounded like a clarinet, but not a REAL clarinet, you could definitely tell it was not a real instrument. I've found that by sampling some of the 01/W's multisamples, even if i can't recreate the program the same way, it still has that warmth about it. I think it's just because they are very good samples, and the tones are so pure and raw.

The piano is a great example of this ... it doesn't sound realistic at all, but it has a personality about it that i love. It's warm, doesn't take over in a mix at all or stick out like a sore thumb.

If anyone wants an earful of how the 01/W sounds, here's its demo sequence: http://www.karma-lab.com/Audio/sk/pd/WKRGRadio.mp3 "WKRG Radio" by Stephen Kay. My favorite of his demo sequences that he's created for different synths. Everything in there sounds pretty fat and beefy... pay attention to the strings, piano, and other acoustic instruments.

When CD's and other forms of digital music came out, a lot of people complained that recorded orchestra and even rock music sounded "cold," and that there was something missing as compared to LP records. maybe it's something about 44.1 and 48kHz sampling that SOME people's ears don't like. kinda like how some people like spicy food and other people hate it.

I personally noticed a huge difference in the sound of the M3 vs the HI and ACCESS synths. when the Trinity came out, i felt everything was cold and tinny, i hated pretty much ALL of the acoustic samples from the Trinity. (partly why i never bought one despite all the hype about it). Reviewers even made notes then about how the sound was too clean and too sterile sounding. The Triton was an improvement, but not much of one. Everything still sounded so harsh, but when the M3 came out, i felt it was more of a compromise between the AI synths and the Triton/Trinity lines.

I think if someone wants a warmer sound from the M3 or any of the newer synths, they need to lower the filter C/O a bit. Maybe it's the higher harmonics in the sound that makes it sound cold.

microkorgy wrote:

And do real instruments ever sound cold? No. Fluit, piano, guitar, all sound warm, compared to cold. Why would they do that, and stick with it, I don't get it. Only to then end up with a bunch of retro oriented synths as people crave the old sound? Why not just stick with the warmer sample frequency?

Ever hear an orchestra? Not from a CD, a real LIVE orchestra, in person. There's definitely something that is lost in the recording, no matter how much they digitally master something. I went to see the Philadelphia Orchestra play at the Academy of Music once, the sound was SO RICH. I listen to CD's of them and i can't even remember what hearing them live sounded like, but i always know something's missing.

When they use the lower recording frequencies, you lose things like articulation sounds (like key clicks, finger slides, the sound of the pick hitting the string, etc) and all the extra little nuances in a sound.

One day, when they make the M8 like 30 years down the road, people will refer to the M3 as being a "warm" sounding synth and people will make complaints "why don't these newer synths sound more like the M3?"
cminor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...
did some one try "other" stuff?
I had a fantom-xr, and I could say that my M3 doesn't have 50% of the "power" that I had in Fantom-XR.
The M3 sounds "warm" and "muddy" and "fluffy".
Altt the inserted fx (Ifx, Tfx) didn't get me the rich, powerfull, perc sound of me x-fantom Sad
So you bettter compare it to other gear too... Korg sounds warmer then other keyboards, warmer then you think...
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right ... Fantom X does sound a lot colder than the M3 just after listening to some of the demo songs. not really sure why though. But still sounds pretty sweet. my question to everyone else is, how would you describe "cold-sounding?" cause i think this seems to mean something different to everyone.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Fantom sounds way more sterile than Korg ever did. And Korg kills Roland in FX quality, IMO, especially the Leslie.

Then again, Kurzweil kills them both. In everything. Even with old samples. ESPECIALLY synth sounds, as VAST is.... well, vast. The most flexible synthesis available on a hardware rompler. For over 20 years now.
microkorgy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that cold sounding means different things to most.

The bottom line is, the Microkorg got popular because of its vocoder and sound power 50/50? The MS2000 got popular because of its sound power 90%? It couldn't be the knobs, as many other synths had more knobs. The MS2000 seems to sound more pleasant than the MK for sure, based on all demos I've heard. And the MS2000 has a warmer sound. That seems to be 'warm' enough to me.

The M1 sounds as well, get at you more I think than the M3's sounds. Warm is simply more comfortable rather than cold.

And whoever said Kurzweil beats them all. Nah.
cminor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
you're right ... Fantom X does sound a lot colder than the M3 just after listening to some of the demo songs. not really sure why though. But still sounds pretty sweet. my question to everyone else is, how would you describe "cold-sounding?" cause i think this seems to mean something different to everyone.

Some demo?
So you didn't play at all on a Fantom-X..
Then why bother to write?
When you don't even play at a keyboard you can't say anything about that keyboard...

evildragon wrote:
To me Fantom sounds way more sterile than Korg ever did. And Korg kills Roland in FX quality, IMO, especially the Leslie.

Then again, Kurzweil kills them both. In everything. Even with old samples. ESPECIALLY synth sounds, as VAST is.... well, vast. The most flexible synthesis available on a hardware rompler. For over 20 years now.

I played about a year on K2600.
Yes, it was powerfull, rich sounds, but just like M3, too many natural sounds, too many GM, and a few "exclusive sounds", sounds that could be found ONLY on that keyboard...
But it was a powerfull sound engine...
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cminor wrote:
Gargamel314 wrote:

Some demo?
So you didn't play at all on a Fantom-X..
Then why bother to write?
When you don't even play at a keyboard you can't say anything about that keyboard...

for the record, i was agreeing with you, and i was continuing the discussion and i wanted to ask a question. i think that's allowed, isn't it? but if you're gonna nit-pick, i'm pretty sure the thread was about korg synths. no one's mentioned anything else until you, hoss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: