Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with 20 year old M1 KORG Keyboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M1KORG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Problem with 20 year old M1 KORG Keyboard Reply with quote

Hi,

My parents have a M1 Korg Keyboard in perfect condition that they bought in 1989, that has been in storage 17-18 years.

So after all these years i blow the dust off the case, and open it up.....like opening a time capsule Laughing , take out the dinosaur and plug it in.

Ok, So i get an error message that immediately states:

Quote:
Battery Low (Internal)

So i flip open the instruction manual read the section related to error messages and it states:

Quote:
The battery for internal memory backup needs to be replaced. Call the KORG distributor nearest you or your local KORG dealer or service center and have a qualified technician replace it.

Well, the problem is that i live in Greece currently ( my parents had all their music equipment shipped here years ago) and there isnt exactly a KORG distributor down the block Confused

Soo.....My father says that he knows some guy that fixes keyboards and such....but the people in this country arent always exactly trustworthy, or know what they are doing...but that's a whole different story Rolling Eyes

So, the Keyboard DOES work. Although i noticed a bit of electrical burning smell around where i would assume the power supply internally is Shocked I dont know if thats from it sitting so long....but if it dies, oh well. i'm also using a transformer because everything here is 220 of course Mad

Also, the Keyboard is supposed to have a bunch of internal sounds and effects, but when i punch in the functions for them, they dont appear. i can go into more detail regarding the exacts on what im pushing and what it says, but i will leave at that for now. I'm guessing maybe since the battery died, the internal memory cannot be accessed for the effects and sounds.

One last thing, i thought maybe if i left the keyboard plugged in for awhile that maybe the battery might charge, but i have had it on for some time and it hasnt done anything.

thanks
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something you'll find useful reading :

http://www.geocities.com/tlittle72/

Smile

Daz.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery is not a rechargeable type its a Lithium Coin cell(CR2032)They basically retain the Memory when the Keyboard is switched off,they can last as a backup battery for up to 10 years or so,Although average is around 5 years or so,but they do not charge when the Keyboard is on.If your M1 has been stored for almost 18 years I would say its well in need of replacement.
The CR2032 should be availible from most decent electrical shops,they should be no more than a couple of euros(They even sell them in supermarkets here in the UK).

Its not a massive job to undertake and if you follow the instructions on that Link that Daz gave you it should take about 15 mins or so to do,then you'll have to reload the Factory Sys exclusive data back into the M1 for the sounds to work properly.

I would say the Burning odour would be because it not been used for a long time,it should dissapear after a few hours of usage.
M1KORG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, i just put in a new Battery Very Happy

Now, on to the sounds...

I'm not an expert in computers, and i'm new to the whole keyboard thing.....

So, I checked out the link DAZ gave me.....how do i get the factory sounds and the added sounds from my computer to the keyboard?

Do I needs cables? software? Question
M1KORG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i downloaded the 500 sounds + factory sounds. Its zipped, so i downloaded winzip from Download.com, and i cant get it to work.

I hate having to deal with this kind of stuff. I need help. Sad
M1KORG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, forget trying to get it from the PC to the korg..too complicated for me! Embarassed

I'm just gonna order the card from voice crystal.
Jim Davies

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the card, and if so, did it work? Komputaz don't like me, so i'm wary of spending the money for nothing. Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: