Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the price of Keyboards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: the price of Keyboards Reply with quote

Has the price gone rocketing upwards? I've noticed prices increase by up 30%

so we are apparently in a recession and retailers must assume we all have more money.. I guess it's the weak pound causing the increase, but even so..
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located and which retailers do you speak of?

I can't speak for other brands as I only surround myself with Korg products but with that said, their prices haven't gone up(atleast not on any workstations/synths I've looked at).

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the prices have been falling like a rock. Not of new keyboards, that is, but of used ones. There's lots of bargains to be had.

Pretend you have a time machine. All those great keyboards that were being sold for top dollar several years ago are now being dumped for a small fraction of their price. Most of them still sound great to an audience. But yeah, if you want the latest greatest *whatever* flagship workstation, you'll pay top dollar, and I may buy it from you when you dump it to get then next one. Wink

Most of the time the newest keyboards only offer marginally better features - a lot of nice to haves - but not a lot of really needed stuff. And sometimes the manufacturers take a big step backwards with the new model. The Roland SP-555 comes to mind vs the SP-606.

There's plenty of cool, cheap, and useful things that are around too, like the Kaossilator and DS-10.
tonyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been think about getting a Roland Juno G or a korg m50 61. the price for the m50 has gone up from £725 to £869. The Roland Juno G £618 to £809. Bear in mind we just had a 2.5% vat reduction.. that's a steep rise.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyman wrote:
I've been think about getting a Roland Juno G or a korg m50 61.

Play them both first and see what you like best.

I wasn't impressed with the overall sounds and features of the Juno G vs. the M50. Cool
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyman wrote:
I've been think about getting a Roland Juno G or a korg m50 61. the price for the m50 has gone up from £725 to £869. The Roland Juno G £618 to £809. Bear in mind we just had a 2.5% vat reduction.. that's a steep rise.

On Ebay UK there's 3 Juno-Gs currently at auction from £250 to £375. If you don't want to save money buying used gear, that's your choice, right?

No retailer is stealing your wallet. You have to pull out your wallet, take out your money, and then give it to them. There's no point to complaining about it. If you don't like the price, then don't pay it.
tonyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err yeah, thanks XMLGUY.. not too sure what you on about with the "stealing wallets" and "time machines".

Those second hand "Juno G" on ebay still have some time to run and it's my guess they'll be a whole lot more expensive by the time the hammer falls.. And, personally I'd rather not buy a keyb secondhand over the internet with no protection for my hard earned cash (my choice). There is actually a "new" one on there for £525.

Who is complaining? I was simply pointing out a fact. In a recession one would hope to find a price drop, whereas, here in the UK we have the opposite. I wonder how those retailers will be able to survive, and, in turn, the manufacturers will be suffering too.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of pricing...

I notice O1Wfd ...and the two larger..., are going for $400 tp $1200 so they are holding on well for their age...

Same seems to be happening with Triton, tho' not the level (yet!) of the O1W series.... When compared with age....

Yet all of these older Korg's remain a great buy for the cash strapped, recession hit...., musician....

John (ellll)
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufacturers and retailers can't just lower the prices because the economy goes bad. They still have to make a profit on everything they sell, and if fewer people are buying, or if currency fluctuations affect how much they get, then often they _have_ to raise prices to stay in business. It takes a long time to design, build, ship, and sell a keyboard. If the economy stays bad for a long time, then they will naturally have to cut features and manufacturing cost on new models to get them at a more affordable price point.

I was just pointing out that if you can't afford the pricing of the new keyboards, that other options are available that are affordable and still have very good sounds and features, if you don't eliminate those options.

You also don't have to take all that much risk when buying a used keyboard if you take a cautious approach. You can buy only when there is a reliable guarantee that you can return the keyboard it is defective, and then check it out thoroughly when you get it. For used keyboards that are only a few years old, you might find that they are still under warantee and extended warantees are available from the manufacturer. Korg now has a 3 year warantee, and you can check in advance what other warantee options that might be available to cover you for hardware failure.

When the economy is bad, there's lots of perfectly good keyboards that musicians need to sell at a bargain price because they only need the cash.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus when buying secondhand hardware you will almost certainly get your moneyback should you sell it on,(Providing you don't undercut yourself for the sake of selling)Secondhand Older Hardware instruments tend to have a better resale value and your buying something that should you not get on or like it,you've not spent thousands that your gonna lose if you want to sell it on.

I've always bought loads of secondhand synths to try out,and those I've not liked,sold and always got my moneyback and in some cases,made money on the deal,this way you get to try out stuff you never would have probably bothered with for a fraction of the price,there have been loads of stuff I was impressed with and found some real gems I never even thought were any good,makes it all the more special when you get them for silly money.

Wink
tonyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol .. thanks guys.. but I really do not need advice on buying second hand musical equipment or on how to use ebay and that is really not the point I am trying to make here.. Rolling Eyes

Having lived thru several recessions .. I've always noticed in the past that retail price of luxury good often decreases.. even retailers are not dumb enough to increase prices when there is less money around.. Smart operators reduce prices to maintain market share.

The point is prices have rocketed by over 30%, now is does not take genius to work out that if sales were depressed before this prices increase, then now they will be non-existant..
I can see this having a disastrous effect on the British music industry (IMBY).. If Korg/Roland/yam, etc are not selling units they will have to reduce their running costs, and drop less profitable lines.. EG Radias?.. now looking back at what makes certain devices "sought after" is when they manufacturer has stopped a good line.

PS please.. no need to explain any further that I can get one cheaper on ebay, gumtree, record and tape exchange, etc..
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The point is prices have rocketed by over 30%, now is does not take genius to work out that if sales were depressed before this prices increase, then now they will be non-existant..

And it doesn't take a genius to work out that if your 1 pound or 1 Dollar bought you say for instance 1,000 yen last year at it strongest trading point,then a year later it only gets you 500 yen because now your currency isn't so valuable,then the prices offset or rise against your currency so that everything you buy outside of your currency costs more.

It Doesn't mean that if there is a recession that all manufacturers slash their prices to still up sales,The manufacturing and retail sectors are not stupid,they understand that if sales were low before Then rising prices will only highlight the lack of sales,but they have no control over the prices when they are importing from outside of their own currencies,its not Roland or Korg or Music retailers hiking up the prices its just how much your getting for your Sterling,if Korg were manufacturing in the UK I dare say we wouldn't have seen such high rises,the fact is we have to import those items which is working under a different financial market.

You'll more than likely find that the price increases in the MI retail sector were because many of the items at the lower price they had already in stock already bought at a lower price before the decrease of the Pound then once they have to buy new stock the prices rocket because they're buying in now with the lower value of the Pound,most of the Price hikes are from Eastern manufactured instruments,mainly imported from China or Japan or Europe,which have a better Value against the pound now,things like the Moogs have maintained the same prices because the Pound against the Dollar is still ok.

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:

And it doesn't take a genius to work out that if your 1 pound or 1 Dollar bought you say for instance 1,000 yen last year at it strongest trading point,then a year later it only gets you 500 yen because now your currency isn't so valuable,then the prices offset or rise against your currency so that everything you buy outside of your currency costs more.

I understand that the pound has dropped against other currencies (original post).. but not anything like 30%. So I am still somewhat miffed by the sudden massive increase in prices.. further I cannot see that UK retailers all ran out of older, cheaper stock at exactly the same time. also, I can still buy a KEyb from USA at pretty much the same price as we had in the UK 4 weeks ago..
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyman wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:

I understand that the pound has dropped against other currencies (original post).. but not anything like 30%. So I am still somewhat miffed by the sudden massive increase in prices.. further I cannot see that UK retailers all ran out of older, cheaper stock at exactly the same time. also, I can still buy a KEyb from USA at pretty much the same price as we had in the UK 4 weeks ago..

The Prices fluctuate on UK retailers from week to week,I bought a Nord 2X rack just prior to Christmas for £580,this was the lowest online price I could find and they had 2 in stock at the time a week later it was up to £649 and they had a No stock banner against it,so do the equasion as to why the sudden increase and many of the other online retailers had them almost £749

It would also depend on the Retailers buying in power,if they buy in Bulk they would get a larger discount than simply buying in a single unit,and they normally pass the discount onto the Punter,It would also be possible that some retailers simply undercut themselve's in order to shift old stock,certainly Sound Control when they were trading did this on many occasions and soon became a Box shiftng company which most certainly added to their demise,and if many other retailers continue to do this now they most certainly will be bankrupt before long,but would say many of them would have learnt from SC position.

Now that the pound is not so strong and the instability of People buying such Items in the volumes they were last year or past years means that many retailers are reluctant to keep stock unless they have an order placed,or alreayd had the stock prior to increses,you have to realise that much of the MI retails sales are bought from people's disposable income,much of which most people have little of due to the cost of living rocketing and many people being out of a job.

With Regards to the Dollar vs the Pound,we have always managed to have a strong offset against the Dollar and as already stated in my previous post about the Moog prices,this is because we still have a good value against the dollar,I never understand why people think the cost of synth is cheaper to buy in the states,Perhaps if you live there then yes,but that would depend on your cost of Living,but when you buy abroad to ship to your own country add all your Customs and VAT on top to import to the UK its not that much of a saving at all.

We've seen the last of the cheap luxury Musical instrument items in the UK now our currency is finished,so don't expect any significant drop in prices for a very long time if at all again,I suspect that the UK will have no other option but to join the Euro now,we've lost our strong position in the financial world due to everything we've manufactured being shipped abroad for cheaper labour costs against larger profits or taxed to death by the Government,our only option now is to Join the Single Currency.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some people, keyboards are a luxury good. To others, it is a tool of the trade. During an economic downturn, the luxury good customers stop buying, leaving those who can justify the cost as part of the trade.

To use economics terminology, the demand curve becomes more relatively inelastic during a recession, which is known as the Price elasticity of demand. Therefore, manufacturers can raise their prices, knowing full well that the current customers left in the market will usually still pay it, up to a certain point.

Since one of the determinants for elasticity is the availability of substitutes, then your willingness to buy other products, new or used, becomes a key factor in the price the manufacturer can set and that you'll pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

Yea Korg! Squeeze every last shilling out of those Brits who insist on buying new. Hip Hip Huzzah! Korg, you can probably charge these Brits even more because they're only squealing at this point and are still planning to buy regardless of your increase. We in the USA are buying used gear, so you'll need to lower your price here, which you can do when you charge the Brits more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: