Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rookie Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prasanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Rookie Question Reply with quote

I'm planning to buy a MacBook Pro for music making.
(1) I don't know why almost all the musicians prefer Mac over Windows. Please let me know why.
(2) For music making, which is better - Imac or Macbookpro?

Thank you so much!

Prasanna
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie Question Reply with quote

Prasanna wrote:
I'm planning to buy a MacBook Pro for music making.
(1) I don't know why almost all the musicians prefer Mac over Windows. Please let me know why.
(2) For music making, which is better - Imac or Macbookpro?

Thank you so much!

Prasanna

Hello Prasanna,
I'm wondering the same thing.
1)Though this is what I've heard is that it just works faster and better for music productions.
One of my friends who's been working in Music for over 12 years was using PC the whole time, then two years ago he switched to Mac and realized that he had wasted about 6 years of his life on a PC.

2) He also said go with Mac Book Pro. They just came out with the newest edition so the older ones are going to be much cheaper if your looking for a deal and they are not much different.

maybe this helps? Very Happy

good luck! Wink

puravida
DJ
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another reason now to go with pro is that now normal macbooks have done away with firewire. if you use any firewire audio interface you have to get a macbook pro. seems like a con to me though.... its better than USB but its still being phased out...
and the number of usb ports on the macbooks is shameful when you consider that its probably the only peripheral being used.

don't even get me started on the number of useless USB devices around...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Prasanna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guyz,
Thanks for the reply! I finally got hold of a MacBook Pro even though I still don't know why it is used by most of the musicians. Very Happy

Prasanna
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that USB 3 is coming. It could be that Apple are moving in that direction because USB 3 will be 6 times faster than Firewire 800. And it will crush SATA. Just musing.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think *most* musicians are using Macs, I suspect that most are actually using PC's. However a lot of the very visible professional musicians and studios use Macs, and that is because the Mac was the platform that many early music software companies went to after the demise of the Atari. At that time it was far more friendly and powerful than a PC running DOS ! Macs are also traditionally associated with creative people, because of the software that was available for the platform, but that is not so much the case now. There are many legacy/historical reasons why musicians/studios use Macs, but today there are lots of less fuzzy reasons to do so too. The modern Mac is a really stable platform, that has very modern music making underpinnings in CoreMIDI and CoreAudio. It's also a pleasure to use in comparison to Windows which is increasing becoming a bag of mixed design metaphors and generally yuck. Importantly Macs are a specific hardware configuration, so writing stable driver and application software is a lot easier. People say PC's are unreliable because of Windows, really they are not, it's just all the drivers and different hardware configurations that lead to many messes.

Anyway ... welcome to being a creative person and not an office worker Wink

Daz.

p.s. I am a Windows software developer by day, but at night I use Macs for all my music making, personal use, photo's etc. I've a foot in both camps.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
a bag of mixed design metaphors and generally yuck.

Hehehehe Laughing nice one Daz!

I came from Atari, and have more than 20 years PC usage behind me, last year I switched to Mac's and although I had some problems, which were rather related to incompentend dealers than Mac, I only wonder why I waited so long.....

The system is much more mature and stable in deed. To give you an idea, totally new to Mac, in an afternoon, I setup an ethernet network of two Mac's, two attached large format printers, wireless network, backup solution, seven attached external harddrives on different busses, USB, eSATA, FW, and a bunch of other externals such as Wacom Graphic Tablet, Keyboards, PCIe soundcard, THX surround sound etc.

Out of the box so to speak, all worked, and this is frankly amazing considering the hoops I would have to jump through with a comparable windows environment, let aside security of Internet, and other benefits such as filesystem etc.

While some consider the system to be of benefit because they can run Windows stuff via VM or similar, I do not see any need for that road, in fact I have no windows applications or Windows OS at all on my Mac's.

It's a different world, stuff just works! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: