Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motif vs Fantom vs M3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is best?
Motif
34%
 34%  [ 13 ]
Fantom
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
M3
50%
 50%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 38

Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Motif vs Fantom vs M3 Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm looking to get a new keyboard and its hard for me to decided which! Very Happy
I realize its just what I pefer but please give me your advice!!!! Very Happy
I'm looking for something that can get my music out easily, without having to go through a Computer. Thats like Number 1 priority. Also it must be small, or as small as possible. that's Number 2. and it would really nice to be able to record my vocals right into keyboards in to Vocal Tracks.
If you thnk that theres a keyboard that would fit my needs that isn't one of the ones I mentioned please post it!!! Very Happy
I realize this is a Korg Forum but if you people could give me your real opinion that would be great.
I currently own an Oasys and Karma. I am going on a trip and need something much smaller/cheaper than the O. and the Karma can't do any of the thngs i mentioned! I know the M3 would be the best transition for me cause i already know the O but I thought that maybe if I got something different I could get some inspiration from the different sounds i will get.

thank you guys! really! Smile

puravida
cheioes
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Motif vs Fantom vs M3 Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

You'll probably want the Fantom-G then. But there are a LOT of complaints about the Fantom-G still, since Roland had to screw it up after they PERFECTED the Fantom-X. I have the Fantom-G8 and TWO Fantom-X8's as well so I speak from personal experience. Until Roland gets their CRAP together and give that Sequencer the attention it deserves, it's ONLY gonna be used as a Scratch Pad for phrases and ideas! I used the OASYS Sequencer a LOT MORE than the Fantom and the OASYS Sequencer is OVER 15 YEARS OLD! Says a lot, doesn't it?

BUT! If you can live without doing Vocals and just buy a used Roland VS-1880 for like $400, get the Motif XS. This board is incredible and will give you a WEALTH of inspiration, because of its soundset! PLUS, if your into Enigma, Enya, New Age type stuff, the Motif will probably EXCEED your expectations.

Take it from me: After owning the OASYS, NOTHING can come even CLOSE to it, sonically. A mohttp://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=267079nth after I got my OASYS last year (in May of 2007), I played the Motif XS and man was I blown away! EVERY keyboard I had played sounded like CRAP and yet the Motif STILL sounded incredible! If you get the Motif, you'll have to buy a Hard Disc Recorder of some sort, like a Roland VS-1680/1880 or a Korg D1600, etc. to record vocal tracks. But trust me, man. You want the Motif! You'll get a LOT more milage out of it because of its sounds, than the Fantom-G with its over-hyped INCOMPLETE Sequencer. They HAD to SCREW it up with the Fantom-G! Unbelievable! Rolling Eyes

You want the Motif. 'Nuff said.

Sina

Thank you Sina! Very Happy really I appreciate all you've written. This really helps me make a decision.
So you say I will want the Fantom. But then you say Motif 'nuff said. Are you saying the Fantom if I really need vocals?
and the Roland V1880.....what does that let me do? Can I get the music out without using a computer? what kind of sequencer does it have?

thanks again!!! Very Happy

oh and calm down about the Fantom! Wink lol

puraivda
cehio
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can record vocals on the Motif XS. Just stick some sample RAM into it and you can record audio in a very similar fashion to the M3's In Track Sampling mechanism. Get yourself a USB memory or hard disk to save your audio recordings to and you're good to go.

http://files2.keyfax.com/XSPDFs/SamplingSeqMode1.pdf

Daz.

Last edited by Daz on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motif XS and Fantom-G are the worst choices for the stated goals of something that is small as possible and that can do audio tracks.

Only the M3-M fits the bill, and you can choose a small lightweight midi controller to go with it, even something as small as a battery powered midi controller like the Novation ReMOTE SL.
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody!
I know the Motif and Fantom are quite bigger than the M3, espically if I do what you said Xmlguy. But I may want a different board than something so similiar to the O. Because its more inspiring to have something you don't know and sounds you haven't used. Smile

The Battery Powered board you mentioned could really work for me. Then I would need to plug it in at all right? Very Happy

Thanks Daz! thats just wat I needed to know! Smile

Whats the differences between the Motif xs and ES? just newer models?
and hehe How many Midi and Audio tracks does the Motif have?

thank so much guys! your all great!!!! Cool

puravida
chieoesseseeseeseseseses
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Motif vs Fantom vs M3 Reply with quote

[quote="Sina172"][quote="Ultimate Dj"]
Sina172 wrote:

The VS-1880 is basically a Hard Disc Audio Recorder with Mic Preamps to record your vocal tracks. It's pretty sweet. The screen on it is huge and it makes it a joy to use,Think of the Triton's screen, except that its not a touchscreen. !

"Well Think of the Korg D16XD/D32XD a Hard Disc Audio Recorder with Mic Preamps to record your vocal tracks. It's pretty sweet. The screen on it is huge and it makes it a joy to use,Think of the Triton's screen, except that, IT IS A TOUCHSCREEN."

Did anyone but myself actually buy a XD Series recorder???knocks the s**t out of any VS,especially the 32XD a powerful beast with tons of efx,
I don't think many people ever discovered the XD HDR,shame because they're perhaps one of the best stand alone Audio recorders ever built coupled with Touschscreen makes it a breeze,even the Oasys HDR doesn't seem to have the same ease of workflow,even with such a large screen.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Motif vs Fantom vs M3 Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

The VS-1880 is basically a Hard Disc Audio Recorder with Mic Preamps to record your vocal tracks. You can record up to 18 Tracks of audio with this thing and edit on the fly. It's pretty sweet. The screen on it is huge and it makes it a joy to use (once you've overcome the mild learning curve and understand the workflow of it). Think of the Triton's screen, except that its not a touchscreen. I've used these and they work REALLY well. You can use it as a mixer as well so you can feed the audio off your keyboards and record your vocals at the same time, too. VERY useful.

Couple that with the Motif XS and your golden!

Regarding the Fantom, ONLY get it if you can NOT live without an all-in-one solution that does your vocals (Audio), has a Sequencer (MIDI) and has some decent sounds to get your ideas rolling. The Fantom-G is great for that. A LOT of great features. But it's got a LOT of shortcomings, too, that make this keyboard look REALLY bad and makes Roland look REALLY bad, too. I own one of the these and it's a very cool keyboard, but the "small" missing features that were NOT inherited from the Fantom-X are CRUCIAL to almost everyone that wants to make FULL use of its capacity to Record and Edit in Audio and MIDI. Features like an Undo function, a Pattern Grid like what the Triton has but a LOT MORE flexible and more than twice the length (up to 8 bars on the Fantom-X vs. 2 1/2 bars on the Triton). Also be aware that the Fantom-G is capable of using a mouse (instead of a touchscreen) to edit parameters, change settings, etc. BUT! It's NOT fully implemented! You can't drag the notes on the Piano Roll editor to shorten, lengthen, or even move them from one place to another (i.e. another measure)! You can't copy notes very easily from one place to another. AND! You can't CREATE notes, either! NOT with the mouse! THIS is what I mean by Roland f*ck*ng up the Fantom-G that INFURIATES ME! Sequencer Resolution (in the case of the OASYS's 192PPQN Sequencer) is one thing and that can EASILY be fixed with an update and thus, UNLIKE the Fantom-G ,DESPITE the "better" Sequencer it has, the OASYS Sequencer is actually COMPLETE and it WORKS! VERY WELL, might I add!

I have a friend that owns a music shop here in Reseda, CA called Kaye's Music Scene. He specializes in Arranger Keyboards, but also has Workstation Keyboards. But guess what? He STOPPED carrying Roland because they can't seem to get their CRAP together!

This is why I'm telling you to stay away from the Fantom-G. It's NOT the keyboard Roland is claiming it to be! Not even CLOSE! Roland has been a marketing GIMMICK in the past 2 years and it's REALLY pissing me off! The Fantom-X was AMAZING! It just needed a better Synth Engine and better converters! Had they KEPT the ENTIRE Fantom-X feature set and actually IMPROVED it's functionality with the bigger screen, the realtime controllers, and the GORGEOUS new user interface of the Fantom-G with all the improvements it currently has, with FULL mouse support, AND added a NEW Synth Engine with better converters, the Fantom-G would be a no brainer! Bar none! But they HAD to screw it up! They HAD hype it up and make it THE WORST "improved" workstation in their ENTIRE history! WOW! Rolling Eyes

But like I said, ONLY get the Fantom-G IF you can NOT live without an all in one solution for your vocals and ideas.

Sina

P.S. the Motif ES vs. the XS is night and day! Very Happy The XS has TWICE the ROM memory, better effects, an AMAZING new Synth Engine, and a MUCH better Sequencer and Screen! It's about TIME they offer a big screen! The ES was a BITCH to use because of that small ancient screen! lol But the XS is SWEET! The sounds, the drums, the unbelievable inspiration that makes this thing an absolute JOY to play is amazing!

wow Sina your great! Very Happy and all you people.
But I have more inquires! Twisted Evil Wink
Is the VS-1880 crucial to have with the Motif? Daz dropped in and said all i would need to record vocals on the Motif is a some sample RAM & a USB hard drive...so what do I need the VS for?
I hate to just keep asking but it is a big decision for me. Smile Embarassed
also, You say that the Fantom G sucks but what about the Fantom X? is it just as bad?
thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Thumbs Up Cool

puravida
DJ
*cyclops*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172: It's kinda weird you talk about Motif's soundset. Yeah, the Motif maybe sports the most complete soundset of all three major workstations. But I wonder, don't you know that all of them are samplers as well? Well what can I do with 256MB, 350MB or even 512MB of ROM sounds when I can load any samples I want from my personal Akai, Emu, Roland Kurzweil etc libraries? I've got the Fantom-G and untill now it's loaded with hundreds of MBytes of sample data that fits to my personal liking. And they load really quick.
In case anyone forgot, each of the workstations compared here can load samples: Motif-XS up to 1024MB - Fantom-G up to 1056MB - Korg M3 up to 320MB.

The only thing you're right about the Fantom-G is the sequencer. Currently it's much of a disappointment. It's nothing that a synth user could expect from a flagship workstation. But this will most likely be fixed with a future software update. Till then you're right.

I wonder though: when the Fantom-G's sequencer gets updated, will you be here to comment on it? I'm willing to believe there's no secret rule for not being able to say good things about non-Korg products in a Korg forum, but then, one can really hope... Rolling Eyes
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cyclops* wrote:
I'm willing to believe there's no secret rule for not being able to say good things about non-Korg products in a Korg forum, but then, one can really hope...

There is no secret rule, of course, this is an independent forum and we receive nothing from Korg for running it. So there really is no need to hide your identity the way you did when posting Wink
*cyclops*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
There is no secret rule, of course, this is an independent forum and we receive nothing from Korg for running it. So there really is no need to hide your identity the way you did when posting Wink

Could you please explain to me when and how did I hide my identity? Confused
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just joking, hence the smiley/wink. The proxy used by your cell phone/browser can flag falsely that someone is IP spoofing, it just struck me as funny when I saw that in relation to your quip about "secret rules". LOL, okay it's not that funny, but hey. Welcome to the forum ! Smile
*cyclops*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
I was just joking, hence the smiley/wink. The proxy used by your cell phone/browser can flag falsely that someone is IP spoofing, it just struck me as funny when I saw that in relation to your quip about "secret rules". LOL, okay it's not that funny, but hey. Welcome to the forum ! Smile

Ah, ok then. It's true that I spend much time accessing the web, fora, e-mail etc, thru my cellphone when I'm out of home/work, that's why. Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Smile

It's irrelevant that currently I own only a Roland synth. It's been many times that I wanted to make the breakthrough and buy a Korg synth. I was considering buying the M3, but there were some things that annoyed me, mainly the small amount and the proprietary type of sample RAM. But, hey, maybe in the future they'll produce something that will really can stand next to my Fantom-G, who knows! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: