Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudess, now using Fantom G instead of OASYS for live use.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Rudess, now using Fantom G instead of OASYS for live use. Reply with quote

Hello frieds.

FWIW for those of you who follow Rudess, I was doing some surfing over the net, and I found this.

Its seems that he is no longer using the OASYS in his live shows.
Jordan Rudess quoted from its web jordanrudess.com:

" I took the Fantom G keyboard with me on the tour instead of the Korg Oasys for two reasons.

- One is that I put a lot of thought and energy into the development of the instrument and was very proud when some of the features that I requested were part of the instruments design. Not only that- the features of the instrument make it a unique instrument in the vast world of keyboards. There is no other keyboard that I know of out there today that allows the seamless transition between large combination (Performance) sounds. This is the basis of my (and most other real players) performance concept!

- Aside from having the switching from one Performance patch to another being really smooth, I programmed the entire song set without using ANY outside samples. Everything was done with the Factory ROM and I did not feel I had to make any sacrifices to the integrity of my sounds to do it!

- Finally- I worked hard on this instrument both in the design of it and then the programming of the sounds and I am proud of what it offers for the keyboard world.

-Last comment- It's built like a tank."

Indeed, to me this synth looks like a metal brick in its design and construction Smile
A pic:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to clarify your 'research" - what tour? Jordan does many projects and uses a variety of gear in his music, but he has not abandoned the OASYS, and we just are making plans for him to perform at our NAMM booth using it etc. So perhaps you are quoting from some smaller, mini-tour he did, perhaps with Rod?

Something else?

Regards,

Jerry
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we just are making plans for him to perform at our NAMM booth using it etc.

Cool Sweet...!!!!
He's one guy I'd love to get hold of actually for one of those long music discussions over a few beers. Bet he has some interesting theory's to share.

Regards.
Sharp.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, he's a most amazing and talented player/musician.

We first met when I started at Casio with the CZ-101 and he was a demonstrator for a small company making color-coded music conducting software for the Commodore 64.

I used to support with them with CZ's for their shows.

So we go back to around 1985. And he has always made me feel "unworthy" as a keyboardist!

Wink

Jerry
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this from a buddy a while back :

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10644

Quote:

Now that I'm settled back and have some time, I wanted to talk about the Fantom G and mention what happened around my keyboard going down during an LTE show in Chicago.

I took the Fantom G keyboard with me on the tour instead of the Korg Oasys (which I play on the Dream Theater tour) for two reasons.

Some of this quoted text appears to have been lost in the OP's quote, and the interpretation "now using Fantom G instead of OASYS for live use." is not quite correct Wink

D.
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

Cool Sweet...!!!!
He's one guy I'd love to get hold of actually for one of those long music discussions over a few beers. Bet he has some interesting theory's to share.

Regards.
Sharp.

Yes! Cool Sweet!!!
I have always had a deep respect for Mr. Rudess. It would be great to see him perform at Namm with the OASYS! Beer

Current hardware:
OASYS 88 (EXs1-3, STR-1, LAC-1, MOD-7, EXb-DI), Haken Continuum (˝), Alesis A6 Andromeda, Novation Supernova II ProX, Doepfer A-100 BS2, PC, 220lbs Anvil, 3.3lbs Hammer.
dranandj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

That was great to hear!!! So, we can expect some new announcements at the NAMM... an update perhaps?!!
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dranandj wrote:
jerrythek wrote:

That was great to hear!!! So, we can expect some new announcements at the NAMM... an update perhaps?!!

Well, Korg's not gonna reveal anything before it is time, but at least we could put the "is the Oasys discontinued" rumours to rest!!
tonybanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rudess, now using Fantom G instead of OASYS for live use Reply with quote

Davidb wrote:

Jordan Rudess quoted from its web jordanrudess.com:

There is no other keyboard that I know of out there today that allows the seamless transition between large combination (Performance) sounds.

We can do that using Karma: at least 4 possible multi patch (more programs per patch up to 16 programs) in a song or combi.
As many as the number of the karma modules.
I remember also Mr. Rudess doing that........it began the rumors about "how does Jordan change his sounds by striking a single key?"
I posted earlier one way to do that, and there's another more simple one.
If I understand well, the fantom has this possibility because it has a multi-effect module for each patch (4 tones), up to 8 patches.
Then there are the total multi effects, which remains the same for the 8 patches.
I do not know (found nowhere the details) how many and what are the effects one can apply to a single patch.........and this can make the difference............
We have a fixed array of 12 IFX, 2 MFX, 2 TFX, thru which we can process 16 programs (with multiple available synthesis generation). These programs can be grouped in various way and switched seamlessly with the touch of a finger, the tap of a feet.........even, I should be correct, with a programmed delay* (if you switch them with an RTTP).

And, yes, may be Mr. Rudess is talking about a side project (such as the one with T. Levin).

*delay in bpm
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

You know we could have "those long music discussions" here Shocked Idea Shocked
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dranandj wrote:
jerrythek wrote:

Nice one Laughing

We all wish Jerry would answer to this as fast and as firmly as he has done to clarify the Rudess´subjet.

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Sharp wrote:

You know we could have "those long music discussions" here Shocked Idea Shocked

Long discussions - I'm not having any of that - short snappy answers, that's the way I like it.

Rolling Eyes

Kevin
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Jordan post on here..? Might be nice if he could do a quick comment.....
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really stupid thing in Fantom-G: is the ability to connect a mouse.(probably the stupidest thing in the whole workstation history)

it is completely the opposite of what musicians/producers etc.. need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: