Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

changing programs/patches on multiple keyboard setup live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnguyen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: changing programs/patches on multiple keyboard setup live Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm sure this is an age old proglem that has been solved. What software/hardware will I need to be able to change sounds on multiple keyboards at a touch of a button? I'm sure live musicians don't fumble around on stage trying to set the sound for each keyboard/module for each song. I don't have a sequencer or use computer so will just need a bare minimum setup to be able to preset the sounds for about 30 songs on 3 keyboard/modules for a quick changeover during live gigs.

Thank you very much for any advice, tips or point to the right direction.

Jay,
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You're right, it's not a huge problem, and it's already been solved.
I do like follows: I use one master controller, which controls every other module or keyboard settings.
On this main controller I program every sound/setup wich sends out MIDI patch change messages to all other midi devices; I step through patches using a switch pedal on the floor assigned to "Program up" on my main controller and so I can play and change sounds without leave my fingers from black and white keys.

HTH,
regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what keyboards you have. What Diego described CAN easily be done from a master controller type keyboard, or even boards such as the Triton which can broadcast patch assignments (I think) via MIDI channel.

But obviously this cannot be done from all keyboards, unless you have the patches sequentially numbered in order for each song. And that might help your situation some.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
keego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

I use a Roland A90 expandable controller which IMO is probably one of the best controller keyboards ever made. 4 MIDI outs and easily programable to do what you want.

Here is one on Feebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roland-A-90ex-in-excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ320315514113QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320315514113&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Also with the VERD1 board installed you can use on board sounds too. Wink

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
jnguyen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the information.

I have Korg N264, Roland X30 and an old Yamaha TG30 module. I can use the N264 as a main controller.

The pedal switch is an interesting lead but where can I read up on the specifics of setting it up?

I would be happy with just controlling 1 slave keyboard, the X30, from the N264.

Greatly appreciate any websites and/or additional materials on the subject. I have spent days Googling without much luck until I found this forum. May be I just don't know the right term(s) to search for. Bests,
jnguyen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...more information.
I read up on the pedal idea in the N264 manual and JonSolo was right. the pedal "program up" wouldn't work unless all the sounds are in the right sequence - it would be too much to rearrange the sounds on the keyboards for every gig; (plus you know how things can go astray with live situations that can ruin your best plan).
I do appreciate the feedback. Any other advise?

Regards,
Jay
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Don't warry, it's a common stage to pass at the beginning of giggin live with multiple key/modules to control Wink
I don't know much about the N264, but generally speaking, you need to put in order all sounds you need during a gig, and then set from the global mode that the Switch pedal is assigned to the "Patch Up" function.

In example, when I've to play at live with my band, I need these sounds: Piano (A001), Strings (A007), Hammond organ (B015), Synth Pad (A003).
To use the tecnique we're discussing, you have to put them on consecutive locations on a free bank (or you'll have to overwrite some sounds, be sure to back'em up!), haveing Piano 001, Strings 002, Hammond 003, Pad 004.
If so, pressing the switch pedal you will go from 001 to 002, then from 002 to 003, and so on.
Of course, if you need to control external modules, you'll have to be at least in combi mode...but the concept is the same!

Let us know if it works for you

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: