Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

don' know what to buy??whats best
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim parkin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: don' know what to buy??whats best Reply with quote

Hi all I am going to buy new korg,, pa800?pa1x? need help BEST is?? thanks jim/p
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Pa1x has now been superceeded by the Pa2x.
The main differences between the Pa2x and the Pa800 is keyboard size and feel (Pa2x has semi-weighted and 76 keys and as far as I know extra Piano sounds, Pa800 smaller and not semiweighted). The Pa2x also has more sampling ability - more Ram.
There's a new operating system about to be released for both that should make either one a really nice keyboard to own.
All the best,
John
jim parkin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Hi,
Pa1x has now been superceeded by the Pa2x.
The main differences between the Pa2x and the Pa800 is keyboard size and feel (Pa2x has semi-weighted and 76 keys and as far as I know extra Piano sounds, Pa800 smaller and not semiweighted). The Pa2x also has more sampling ability - more Ram.
There's a new operating system about to be released for both that should make either one a really nice keyboard to own.
All the best,
John
thanks for your in put,,both the 800 and the pa1x are the same price,, the pa2x is more, but it needs sound sys..
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buying PA800 and 1X, the 1X is more powerfull sounding and better OUTs.
The rest is personal taste.
jim parkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
If you buying PA800 and 1X, the 1X is more powerfull sounding and better OUTs.
The rest is personal taste.

thanks for your input,, I still need to know what keyboard is the BEST
do both boards have the same voice sys. for mic's, and is the sound the same .. I just got back from mexico ,, and I am now in tyler texas, no one I know has either one...thanks jim/p
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Vocal Harmonizer is WAY better on PA1X, XLR in, more voices.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of other points to think about.
I should correct my comments above as I was thinking of the Pa1x pro (the larger non-speaker version of the Pa1x) when I mentioned semi-weighted keys.
The Pa800 is newer technology than the pa1x so you get more polyphony and other options like guitar mode. They have also fixed some problems such as the tendency for the plastic buttons to break on the pa1x.
The downside is there are still a few bugs in the operating system (Which as far as I can determine really only effects hi-end users making styles etc) - I'm likely to get shouted down for this comment but most users of these boards dont get into these areas. I'm confident Korg will fix these with operating system upgrades.
Some Pa1x owners who bought a Pa800 found the sounds not to their liking (different but debateable if better or worse) and some of the vocal effects available on the Pa1x didn't come with the Pa800 (but all the main ones like reverb and harmony are certainly there.)
The Pa2x is really the pro version of the Pa800 and if you like the idea of inbuilt speakers then I'd say the Pa800 is for you.
Regards,
John
jim parkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Just a couple of other points to think about.
I should correct my comments above as I was thinking of the Pa1x pro (the larger non-speaker version of the Pa1x) when I mentioned semi-weighted keys.
The Pa800 is newer technology than the pa1x so you get more polyphony and other options like guitar mode. They have also fixed some problems such as the tendency for the plastic buttons to break on the pa1x.
The downside is there are still a few bugs in the operating system (Which as far as I can determine really only effects hi-end users making styles etc) - I'm likely to get shouted down for this comment but most users of these boards dont get into these areas. I'm confident Korg will fix these with operating system upgrades.
Some Pa1x owners who bought a Pa800 found the sounds not to their liking (different but debateable if better or worse) and some of the vocal effects available on the Pa1x didn't come with the Pa800 (but all the main ones like reverb and harmony are certainly there.)
The Pa2x is really the pro version of the Pa800 and if you like the idea of inbuilt speakers then I'd say the Pa800 is for you.
Regards,
John

thanks john,, I have the pa80,, I am looking I guess for the new sound,and the voice sys.. both boards costing the same I want best for my money,I know they will be out with a new better,better one soon..thanks please tell me all you can about b0th;thyaqnks jim/p
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say again, if you can buy them for the same exact money i would still
go for a PA1X synth, its at least a PRO machine which PA800 isnt't.
Not cuz of my liking or anything but it is only a Semi Pro machine which lacks
a lot of PA1X stuff...
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jim. Just my two cents.

I own the PA1X. If you play live then the PA1X is the better instrument in terms of being able to control the arranger functions in real time.

Noone has told told about the importance of physical sliders which the PA1X has and the pa800 does not !!

The Pa1X sliders enable you to control the volumes of the accompaniment parts immediately and intuitively . Let me give you an example

lets say you are playin a style live and you want to simplify the style to the bare minimum, bass, drums and piano. You can adjust the sliders in real time whilst playing to do that .

If you use draw bar organs at all you can get great realism by adjusting the drawbars in real time like a real organ player by using the slider.

None of this is possible with tha PA800 IN REAL TIME. In my view Korg really dropped the ball by removing the physical sliders on the PA800.

Lastly if you play at home or in small venues (say less than 50 people), the PA1X intenal speakers are second to none and i mean accross all other manufacturers that produce keyboards with internal amplification. The dynamic range will genuinely surprise you . Again te PA800's internal speakers are simply not in the same league. Consequently the PA1X weights about the same as a small 7 year old child !!!! but thats the compromise you pay for in sound quality from the internal speakers. To my ears there is minimal difference between the sounds ogf the PA800 and the PA1X although thats very subjective .

I just thought i would expand a little bit on some of the good opinions you have had already.

Oh last bit. There are probably about 6-7 people on this forum that have complained about broken stop/start buttons. This is a tiny fraction of the people on this forum that use the instrument daily. I have had my PAX for about 4.5 years and i have never had a problem with any buttons or any thing to do with the build quality of the PA1X. With respect to Reuben, i dont think the PA800 has been around long enough for us to say whether this is an issue with it or not yet.

The one issue that might swing if for you is the fact that the PA1X will not recieve any more free upgrades from Korg as its SSD memory is fully used up . Also i think Korg has simply decided that its time to make some more money by producing a "new board" for people to buy and i cant blame them for that. They are a business afterall. However i believe that the PA800 has scope for some more future POTENTIALLY free upgrades and the last upgrade was quite substantial as the instrument now has the equivalanet to yamaha,s "Super Articulation Voices" although that is yet to be truly heard.

Anyway best of luck with your choices. Either way you will have the tools to make incredible music.
jim parkin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
hi Jim. Just my two cents.

I own the PA1X. If you play live then the PA1X is the better instrument in terms of being able to control the arranger functions in real time.

Noone has told told about the importance of physical sliders which the PA1X has and the pa800 does not !!

The Pa1X sliders enable you to control the volumes of the accompaniment parts immediately and intuitively . Let me give you an example

lets say you are playin a style live and you want to simplify the style to the bare minimum, bass, drums and piano. You can adjust the sliders in real time whilst playing to do that .

If you use draw bar organs at all you can get great realism by adjusting the drawbars in real time like a real organ player by using the slider.

None of this is possible with tha PA800 IN REAL TIME. In my view Korg really dropped the ball by removing the physical sliders on the PA800.

Lastly if you play at home or in small venues (say less than 50 people), the PA1X intenal speakers are second to none and i mean accross all other manufacturers that produce keyboards with internal amplification. The dynamic range will genuinely surprise you . Again te PA800's internal speakers are simply not in the same league. Consequently the PA1X weights about the same as a small 7 year old child !!!! but thats the compromise you pay for in sound quality from the internal speakers. To my ears there is minimal difference between the sounds ogf the PA800 and the PA1X although thats very subjective .

I just thought i would expand a little bit on some of the good opinions you have had already.

Oh last bit. There are probably about 6-7 people on this forum that have complained about broken stop/start buttons. This is a tiny fraction of the people on this forum that use the instrument daily. I have had my PAX for about 4.5 years and i have never had a problem with any buttons or any thing to do with the build quality of the PA1X. With respect to Reuben, i dont think the PA800 has been around long enough for us to say whether this is an issue with it or not yet.

The one issue that might swing if for you is the fact that the PA1X will not recieve any more free upgrades from Korg as its SSD memory is fully used up . Also i think Korg has simply decided that its time to make some more money by producing a "new board" for people to buy and i cant blame them for that. They are a business afterall. However i believe that the PA800 has scope for some more future POTENTIALLY free upgrades and the last upgrade was quite substantial as the instrument now has the equivalanet to yamaha,s "Super Articulation Voices" although that is yet to be truly heard.
thanks Worth for your 2 cents,, it makes a lot of cents to me, also I use a lot flopy diskswith my pa 80 and the 800 does not have a fd drive..can you get the mp3recorder for the pa1x ?? thanks ,, and right now the 1x is cheeper than the 800... I will keep on looking on e bay for a new one 1x in a box.. thaqnks for your time and 2 cents jim/p

Anyway best of luck with your choices. Either way you will have the tools to make incredible music.

chrisdance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all Worth says. I have the Pa1X and I think it is a good giging instrument I also used it for teaching until recently when I retired.
It did have a major fault last year and the main board had to be changed. Korg UK had a job to find the reoccurring fault. They were very helpful and eventually sorted it out.
At the moment I am getting letters from dealers pointing out the advantages of the new Yamaha Tyros 3. and suggesting I should change keyboards. The information letters I have received point out the advantages of having 8 sliders to adjust instruments and digital drawbars on the new Tyros 3.
The korg Pa1X and pro already has these sliders as explained so well by Worth.
Best buy in my opinion is the Korg Pa1X but if you do need a 76 note keyboard get the pro. version.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot flopy diskswith my pa 80 and the 800 does not have a fd drive..can you get the mp3recorder for the pa1x

Yes you can although i am not sure where from. Korg should still have some so your best bet is to try Korg first
jim parkin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdance wrote:
I agree with all Worth says. I have the Pa1X and I think it is a good giging instrument I also used it for teaching until recently when I retired.
It did have a major fault last year and the main board had to be changed. Korg UK had a job to find the reoccurring fault. They were very helpful and eventually sorted it out.
At the moment I am getting letters from dealers pointing out the advantages of the new Yamaha Tyros 3. and suggesting I should change keyboards. The information letters I have received point out the advantages of having 8 sliders to adjust instruments and digital drawbars on the new Tyros 3.
The korg Pa1X and pro already has these sliders as explained so well by Worth.
Best buy in my opinion is the Korg Pa1X but if you do need a 76 note keyboard get the pro. version.

thanks for your input,, I think the pa1x is for me..thanksd againjim/p
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a final thought before you buy - you should read this:http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36787
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: