Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pa1X pro OS update - finally?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtomsf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: pa1X pro OS update - finally? Reply with quote

Hi All

First, let me say how glad I am to see the forums back on line. I love this resource and have been reading here every day for years. I missed it when it was gone and I hope that never happens again. Smile

Now, having the forum gone for a few days has scared me. You see, I have never bothered to update my pa1Xpro to the latest OS. I believe I am still running 2.54 on mine. Here's my problem. My keyboard was set up for me by another guy and I am pretty sure it is loaded with a special set that rearranged all the styles and stuff. I think this was perhaps a British upgrade. I do not want to lose any of that and not be able to come back to it. I think it is a good idea to try OS 3.01 and see if I like it. But I want to be able to come back to my current setup , if I find that is better for me.

Can anyone tell me the exact steps to saving everything I now have in my pa1X? I guess I need to save the OS, the Musical Resources and what else? If you don't have time to tell me the steps, can you tell me where to look to find this info?

Two other quick questions... Will updating to OS3.01 allow me to play the pa800 or pa2X styles in my pa1X? I believe the style format will be updated and that will break my copy of EMC StyleWorks? Is that right - StyleWorks will no longer work if I update?

Also, is there any place I could download a nice, comprehensive Songbook file? I want one with the names spelled properly and all set up to go. Or is this something I can only do myself, one at a time. I haven't used the Songbook much because the limited number of entries in it and the weird names.

Any help would be appreciated and welcome back!

Tom G. Very Happy
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Tom,
I'm also glad to see the forum up and running again.
I wish I had more knowledge on your questions but here's my comments since no one else has replied yet.
OS 3.01 is great - the screen is more legible, loading sets or parts of sets is easier, polyphony is allocated much more cleverly (you don't tend to run out of notes) and you can run the new Grand Touch Pianos and other versions of them if you have a hard drive. You also get 16 oscillators giving you far more flexibility in sound mode.
Unless your particular styles are really that different than the factory ones then I'd recommend you go for it.
The main problem is maybe not being able to go back - even if you have a full backup including the old operating system. This is because the musical resources will need to be reloaded and I dont know where to source a copy of the old versions and if yours is a "special" version then this may not be possible.
If you do backup and you have a hard disk make sure you put a copy of your DirectHD folder on your computer (via USB connection) because this will or should contain your other imortant files sush as midifiles (which are not backed up even with a full resource backup).
As for the songbook correct titles - there was a post about a year ago that had these and I have a copy and its great. I would gladly upload mine but its no longer the same with lots of other entries. Hopefully someone reading this has a copy of the new songbook they can share. If my version would be good enough let me know and I'll make it available.
Finally, as far as I know the Pa2x/Pa800 styles will not work in Pa1x.
Hope some of this is usefull.
Best regards,
John
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

OS 3.01 is great !!!

I would recommend that you do the following:-

1. Backup "ALL" your currently loaded data (i.e. SET) to the internal hard drive (Disk Mode - Save)
2. Backup your Resources (SSD internal) to your internal hard drive (Disk Mode PA1XPro Disk > Utility page and select “Full Resource Backup" (choose a name for the backup))
3. Connect your PA1XPro to your PC (USB) (as suggested by John) and copy the entire contents of the Pa1XPro hard drive to a new folder on your PC's hard drive (This is a paranoid step as the update should not affect your hard drive contents at all).

Now you have everything backed up safely on your PC.

Install OS 3.01 & Resources 3.00:-

Here are the instructions - hope this helps:-
Quote:
SAVE ALL YOUR USER DATA FIRST...(as above)

You may already have the diskettes prepared etc but here are the details anyway.
MAKE SURE YOU OBEY THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR DISKETTE #1 AND PRESS "Intro 1" INSTEAD OF THE "OK" ON THE SCREEN (see below) if you wish to clear your PA1XPro before the installation....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download the following file to your PC from:-
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/software/pa1x/os/Pa1X_os_v301_PC.zip

Unzip this file and you will see 5 files like this:-
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk1.exe
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk2.exe
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk3.exe
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk4.exe
Pa1X_Upgrade_Procedures.pdf (instructions)

I strongly recommend that you read the "Pa1X_Upgrade_Procedures.pdf" upgrade
instructions in conjunction with the steps below...

Prepare 4 blank diskettes
Insert first diskette and double click Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk1.exe
...this will build diskette 1
Remove the diskette when finished and label it "OS3.01 Disk #1"
Insert second diskette and double click Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk2.exe
...this will build diskette 2
Remove the diskette when finished and label it "OS3.01 Disk #2"
Insert third diskette and double click Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk3.exe
...this will build diskette 3
Remove the diskette when finished and label it "OS3.01 Disk #3"
Insert fourth diskette and double click Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk4.exe
...this will build diskette 4
Remove the diskette when finished and label it "OS3.01 Disk #4"

These four diskettes will be used to build your OS 3.01

Make sure the PA1XPro is powered OFF
Insert OS3.01 Disk #1
Power on PA1XPro
Follow the prompts on the screen
(Note: for diskette #1 press the "Intro 1" button
INSTEAD of pressing the "OK" on the screen if you wish to clear your PA1XPro before building the new OS)
The remaining 3 diskettes will be prompted for and all you do is simply insert them when requested.
When finished loading all diskettes, power OFF the PA1XPro.

Remove diskettes and Power ON the PA1XPro
The keyboard should start up but you will see a "no style" and no sounds - this is OK.

Now you must load the OS Resources file into the PA1XPro

Download the resources file to your PC from:-
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/software/pa1x/resource/Pa1X_res_v300_hd.zip

Unzip the file (using folder names) and you will end up with a folder on your PC called "pa1x_300.bkp"
Connect your PA1XPro to your PC (USB) and copy this folder to your PA1XPro hard drive.

Disconnect your PA1XPro from your PC
Go to the PA1XPro Disk > Utility page and select “Full Resource Restore”, then press "Execute".
The hard disk contents will appear..
At this point, select the “pa1x_300.bkp” folder you previously copied to the hard disk.
At the end of the Restore operation, turn the Pa1X off and then on again.

## WARNING ## !! MAKE SURE YOU RE-CALIBRATE THE TOUCH SCREEN (seems to always be necessary when installing OS3.01)
NOTE: if the calibration is a mess and you cannot select screen items properly, you can get to the Calibration screen by pressing "Global" button to enter Global Mode, then PRESS & HOLD DOWN "Global" button until the calibration screen appears.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now please remember that if you load up any SOUNDS which use USER samples, you must "re-write" these SOUNDS to ensure the new OS 3.01 format is updated - THIS IS ONLY FOR SOUNDS LOADED FROM PREVIOUS OS LEVELs WHERE THE SOUND USES SAMPLE RAM.
This is explained in the update manual for OS 3.01:-
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/pdf/pa1x/multilingual/Pa1X-301UPG-EFGI.pdf page 13 "New Sound File Format"

Hope this all works out well for you...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
tomtomsf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I intend to follow them step-by-step. I sure appreciate you taking the time to post these.

Two other questions:

Will updating to OS 3.01 allow me to play the new pax2 and/or pa800 styles?

If I want to revert back to my old (current) OS and settings, how do I restore those from the hard drive?

Thanks again for your help!

Very Happy

Tom G.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

The PA series are not "backward compatible", however, I have most of the PA2XPro styles ready to play on the PA1Xpro and would be happy to send them to you when you are ready.. there is also the BonusCollection SET on the korgpa site.

Don't load PA2XPro/PA800 sets on the PA1XPro as they can create problems.

Hope this helps

Pete Very Happy
tomtomsf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Pete!

I assume that I must have OS 3.01 in place for your set to work?

Tom G.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
I assume that I must have OS 3.01 in place for your set to work?

Correct.

You can always revert to a previous OS by re-installing from diskettes and then reloading the appropriate Resources.
If ever you do this, please use the "Intro 1" button INSTEAD of "OK" when installing the OS - this will clean out your SSD.

Take it easy,

Pete Very Happy
jim parkin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi Tom

OS 3.01 is great !!!

I would recommend that you do the following:-

1. Backup "ALL" your currently loaded data (i.e. SET) to the internal hard drive (Disk Mode - Save)
2. Backup your Resources (SSD internal) to your internal hard drive (Disk Mode PA1XPro Disk > Utility page and select “Full Resource Backup" (choose a name for the backup))
3. Connect your PA1XPro to your PC (USB) (as suggested by John) and copy the entire contents of the Pa1XPro hard drive to a new folder on your PC's hard drive (This is a paranoid step as the update should not affect your hard drive contents at all).

Now you have everything backed up safely on your PC.

Install OS 3.01 & Resources 3.00:-

Here are the instructions - hope this helps:-
Quote:
SAVE ALL YOUR USER DATA FIRST...(as above)

You may already have the diskettes prepared etc but here are the details anyway.
MAKE SURE YOU OBEY THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR DISKETTE #1 AND PRESS "Intro 1" INSTEAD OF THE "OK" ON THE SCREEN (see below) if you wish to clear your PA1XPro before the installation....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download the following file to your PC from:-
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/software/pa1x/os/Pa1X_os_v301_PC.zip

Unzip this file and you will see 5 files like this:-
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk1.exe
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk2.exe
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk3.exe
Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk4.exe
Pa1X_Upgrade_Procedures.pdf (instructions)

I strongly recommend that you read the "Pa1X_Upgrade_Procedures.pdf" upgrade
instructions in conjunction with the steps below...

Make sure the PA1XPro is powered OFF
Insert OS3.01 Disk #1
Power on PA1XPro
Follow the prompts on the screen
(Note: for diskette #1 press the "Intro 1" button
INSTEAD of pressing the "OK" on the screen if you wish to clear your PA1XPro before building the new OS)
The remaining 3 diskettes will be prompted for and all you do is simply insert them when requested.
When finished loading all diskettes, power OFF the PA1XPro.

Remove diskettes and Power ON the PA1XPro
The keyboard should start up but you will see a "no style" and no sounds - this is OK.

Now you must load the OS Resources file into the PA1XPro

Download the resources file to your PC from:-
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/software/pa1x/resource/Pa1X_res_v300_hd.zip

Unzip the file (using folder names) and you will end up with a folder on your PC called "pa1x_300.bkp"
Connect your PA1XPro to your PC (USB) and copy this folder to your PA1XPro hard drive.

Disconnect your PA1XPro from your PC
Go to the PA1XPro Disk > Utility page and select “Full Resource Restore”, then press "Execute".
The hard disk contents will appear..
At this point, select the “pa1x_300.bkp” folder you previously copied to the hard disk.
At the end of the Restore operation, turn the Pa1X off and then on again.

## WARNING ## !! MAKE SURE YOU RE-CALIBRATE THE TOUCH SCREEN (seems to always be necessary when installing OS3.01)
NOTE: if the calibration is a mess and you cannot select screen items properly, you can get to the Calibration screen by pressing "Global" button to enter Global Mode, then PRESS & HOLD DOWN "Global" button until the calibration screen appears.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now please remember that if you load up any SOUNDS which use USER samples, you must "re-write" these SOUNDS to ensure the new OS 3.01 format is updated - THIS IS ONLY FOR SOUNDS LOADED FROM PREVIOUS OS LEVELs WHERE THE SOUND USES SAMPLE RAM.
This is explained in the update manual for OS 3.01:-
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/pdf/pa1x/multilingual/Pa1X-301UPG-EFGI.pdf page 13 "New Sound File Format"

Hope this all works out well for you...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Hi pete,, I just bought a pa1x it's 10 mo;s old it is running OS 3.00 I have made up all the FD:s for the OS 3.01,and the music res.3.00. followed instructions in pdf files ,,put in first disk,turned it on ,comes on in 3.00 will not bring up FD info... so tried to load music res.
will not bring up FD bk.file in fd.drive,, FD drive works fine for for styles??
also many of the sounds in the factory banks are not there, I only have 8 selections in all in the guitar select banks manual says should have many more,, this is myup gread from my pa80,, new toy,,,Need help thanks jim/p
wittid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jim,

what is the content of disk 1?
did you double-click the *.exe files for self-extracting? you have to do that.
disk 1 shall contain:
- FDBOOT.SYS
- PA1X_1.BIN
if not you only copied the *.exe-files to disk - that´s the wrong way.

About the BKP
if you use the disk-BKP it´s the same (self-extracting *.exe files - double click them).

If you use the hd-version - unzip - transfer via USB to PA1X.

Be sure you have no folder in folder !

cu
Detlef Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gorilla
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I read your instructions on updating. I'm just now getting around to upgrading and updating from 3.0 to 3.01. I followed the instructions on Korgpa.com regarding copying resources files to disk. I was able to copy all of the files to disk except Pax1 3.01 resource disk 3.exe. It appears the file is too large for a 1.44 disk. The file is 1,461,445. All other disk were copied without incident. I note your suggestion is to use a USB cable to the PC. Is this your reason? I was attempting to use the Korgpa manuals upgrading instructions yours seem easier.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AJ

DON'T COPY THOSE FILES........
Those ".exe" file have to be "run" NOT copied (i.e. have a blank diskette in the drive and double-click the ".exe" file - repeat for each diskette).
Each ".exe" is a program that you run on your PC and each one will correctly build the associated diskette (i.e. 1-4).

above, I wrote:

Hope this helps

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gorilla
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, for your speedy response. Your instructions are clear. I extracted the exe file using my RAR program. As stated, file/disk #3 is the only one opening as an error which informs me that there is not enough room on the disk. I've tried 2HD disk of three companies. What am I doing wrong Pete? Should I use a Winzip app to perform the task? What am I missing? Thanks. 👊😎
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha!! A little bell is ringing in my old brain.

I THINK I remember something like this - can you tell me what options it gives you when the error comes up - or show me a screenshot?

So I am guessing:-
You have unzipped the files.
You then load up a blank diskette
Then double-click the "Pa1X_os_v301_Dsk3.exe " file
Then you get the error - is this correct?

I have a gut feeling that you ignore the error and continue (that is if you have the option to "ignore" or "continue")

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Gorilla
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Screenshot: Reply with quote

Hello Pete, I have a screen shot of my incident:

Go here:
http://www.4shared.com/folder/eg4Xrjxu/_online.html
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM - solved - (I hope)

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: