Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M3 EXB-FW question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
princeali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Korg M3 EXB-FW question Reply with quote

I have some questions.. Do I need to buy the EXB-FW for my Korg M3 to fully use it with Pro Tools LE 7.1?

and what does it changes overall because right now im doing it with the USB 2.0

also when I try to record with my mic when my M3 is plugged it doesnt work but as soon as I unplug it it works.. (I have a Mbox2)

thx for your time !
princeali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: mistake made Reply with quote

Quote:
I have some questions.. Do I need to buy the EXB-FW for my Korg M3 to fully use it with Pro Tools LE 7.1?

Sorry I made an error I mean to I need to buy the EXB-FW to make the Korg M3 editor functionnal to use it with (in my case) Pro Tools 7.1. Thanks.

Quote:
also when I try to record with my mic when my M3 is plugged it doesnt work but as soon as I unplug it it works.. (I have a Mbox2)

for this question I mean my korg m3 is plugged on the TRS lines of my Mbox 2 (audio interface) and when I plug my mic on the mic line of the Mbox I cant use it to record something. Maybe I cant plug the Korg and the Mic at the same time...I dont know any help appreciated!

Thank you
Coronado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Mbox is basically a 2 in/2 out interface. So.. when your Korg is connected, there are no channels for your mic.. seems logical, no? I don't know the software of the Mbox, but it is possible that you can choose which connection to use in the mixer/control panel of the Mbox. But it will not be possible to "hear" all connections at the same time. May be.. your S/Pdif connection may be of use here. It is possible to connect your M3 through S/Pdif. In Protools you can select which audio device to use, probably there will be a separate listing for S/Pdif of your MBox. If that's the case this could be a way to connect all at the same time. Good thing is, you will have a better quality sound, because the M3 is grabbed digitally at 48 khz and no A/D conversion takes place when you record the M3. Bad thing is, your M3 has optical S/Pdif and your MBox has coaxial.. You'll need converters. One for the in-section and one for the out- A good alternative (I use) is the Behringer Utramatch Pro 2496 (approx. 130 dollars). A great tool which let's you connect everything, convert sample rates real time and as a bonus adds a stereo in and out to your set up. For this money.. incredible!
The firewire board, gives you not only an extra midi in/out, but a 6out/2in audio interface. You will be able to have all 6 channels of your korg on your protools, digitally. Besides that, you can send any 2 channels (or stereo) from your computer to the M3. To sample, record, or otherwise process.
If you open the M3 editor plugin, normally the sound will come out of the M3 itself. With the firewire board, it behaves like any plugin and gives you the sound in your protools channel(s).

Hope this helps..
princeali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronado wrote:
Your Mbox is basically a 2 in/2 out interface. So.. when your Korg is connected, there are no channels for your mic..

I found a picture for the Mbox 2 on this website :http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=29&itemid=4893

if you look on the back of it, there is 2 TRS lines in (where I plugged my Korg M3) and the inputs for the mic at the same time. I just dont know why its not functionning!

Coronado wrote:
The firewire board, gives you not only an extra midi in/out, but a 6out/2in audio interface. You will be able to have all 6 channels of your korg on your protools, digitally. Besides that, you can send any 2 channels (or stereo) from your computer to the M3. To sample, record, or otherwise process.

I dont understand about the channels...with a firewire board I have 6out/2in but what do you mean by i can have 6 channels of my korg on pro tools i can create a total of 16 tracks from the korg sequencer no?
rickb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Not sure EXB-FW will give you ALL 6 outs in Pro Tools Reply with quote

I was surprised my EXB-FW worked with my Digi 002 at all. I fully expected Logic and Live to work with and see 6 channels, but wasn't sure Pro Tools would be OK with another FireWire device on the bus. But it works! I just tried this today, so I haven't finished playing with it.

However, I only see two channels of audio when using Pro Tools LE with my Digi 002 and the M3's EXB-FW. Perhaps the RTAS version of the M3 Plug-In can only handle stereo? Maybe there's a multi-channel (more than stereo) version of the plug-in coming?

I just got my EXB-FW card, so bear with me if I'm missing something obvious.

It would be nice if Korg posted some demo sessions showing off the M3 being used with the EXB-FW card in popular DAWs, such as Pro Tools, Live, Logic, etc. Yamaha does this with some things and it's very helpful.

My first reaction is Korg might need to enable more EXB-FW specific features, or maybe add a specific EXB-FW routing page, or at least expand the documentation & examples.

By far the best investment so far has been the Radias card. The jury is still out, in my case, as to whether or not the EXB-FW is going to be that useful to me. The M3 plug-in editor works fine over USB.

One aggravating issue I ran into: When you ONLY use the FireWire cable, sending & receiving Combis, Progs, SYSEX, etc, is VERY slow. It seems I have to set it to use the USB for that. Anyone else see this happen?

Again, my hope is that Korg release an update to fix some of these things and maybe an example session or document with more detail about the EXB-FW.

Good luck,

Rick
Coronado

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you look on the back of it, there is 2 TRS lines in (where I plugged my Korg M3) and the inputs for the mic at the same time. I just dont know why its not functionning!

Like I explained, you're Mbox is not capable of handling more than 2 audio channels at the same time. It has 3 connections per channel indeed, but you can only use one at a time (per channel). So.. if you plug in the right channel of your M3 and the mike both in channel 1 or 2 of your MBox, you will just hear/see only one of the two audio signals. The only way is to use your S/Pdif as explained earlier.

Quote:
I dont understand about the channels...with a firewire board I have 6out/2in but what do you mean by i can have 6 channels of my korg on pro tools i can create a total of 16 tracks from the korg sequencer no?

Of course you can. These are miditracks!! But the Korg has only 6 individual audio channels, analog or digital (through Firewire). So.. if you want to record 16 midichannels all at once, you will have to devide the 16 miditracks/channels over these 6 audio channels.
You could compare this with the group channel section of a mixer. You have 16 Channels and 3 stereo group channels (6 indiv.). You can assign every individual channel to one of those 3 stereo group channels. At the and you will have 3 different stereo signals to process, or 6 individual if you like.
Coronado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Not sure EXB-FW will give you ALL 6 outs in Pro Tools Reply with quote

rickb wrote:
...However, I only see two channels of audio when using Pro Tools LE with my Digi 002 and the M3's EXB-FW. Perhaps the RTAS version of the M3 Plug-In can only handle stereo? Maybe there's a multi-channel (more than stereo) version of the plug-in coming?...

One aggravating issue I ran into: When you ONLY use the FireWire cable, sending & receiving Combis, Progs, SYSEX, etc, is VERY slow. It seems I have to set it to use the USB for that. Anyone else see this happen? ...

I'm not familiar with Protools or RTAS, but I can't imagine the plugin to be stereo. It may just be the fact that you're using two FW devices. Often the problem is IRQ related. Both devices are on the same adress (19?). If you have multiple FW ports to your computer, you coulld try and switch port. If not and all FW ports use the same IRQ than there's not much you can do, exept buying a additional FW card. You can than assign a different IRQ to it, or it will automatically do so. It might not be the problem, but chances are..

As for the slow midi through FW. This is normal. USB uses a fast midi protocol, where FW uses standard midi (same as the midi connection). Therefor Korg recommends to use the USB for midi, even when you use the FW expansion. As I understand it is not possible to use the fast midi protocol in FW, because it is developed for USB.
rickb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronado,

I think you misunderstood my posting completely. I have no idea why you're talking about IRQs and multiple FW cards, etc. These things have absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my posting.

I merely said I could only get two channels (stereo) from the M3 Plug-In using Pro Tools 7.4.2 and wondered if there was a forthcoming update that would do more then 2 channels.

Also, I'm not sure you have the facts straight on FireWire versus USB. I used the Yamaha MLAN over FireWire and it transmitted MIDI very quickly over FireWire, as do other systems using FireWire. I would need to read the MIDI over FireWire spec to double-check this.

ANYWAY, forget about all that.. Good news, tonight I created a Pro Tools session and got 6 channels (3 stereo pairs) coming from the M3!

I'm still have a bit of trouble with the routing (UI pages could lay this out more straightforward). Also, it seems I can only get 2 of the three stereo pairs at the same time.... But I'm making progress.

I'll keep working on it and see if I can't get that 3rd stereo pair. It's got to be a routing issue or a configuration issue in the M3 I'm missing.

R
Coronado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my posting completely. I have no idea why you're talking about IRQs and multiple FW cards, etc. These things have absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my posting.

No, I understood it quite correctly. Your conclusion though is a misconception. IRQ's are still very important in this area. Whether or not it might be YOUR problem is another matter. People tend to forget about them, because they cause less problems than they used to. If you're using two firewire audio interfaces (Digi 002 and M3) on 1 IRQ, which is often the case, this can cause various problems. These problems differ from Blue Screens to preventing the hardware to produce the audio in proper manner, or latency issues. On the other hand it might just work in which case you're lucky. Under M3/FW owners this is a well known problem.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure you have the facts straight on FireWire versus USB. I used the Yamaha MLAN over FireWire and it transmitted MIDI very quickly over FireWire, as do other systems using FireWire. I would need to read the MIDI over FireWire spec to double-check this.

It's a fact. mLan is a completely different protocol, although it uses the same connection. Korg uses standard midi in its FW connection and fast midi over USB. I think they're not keen on using Yamaha's mLan. Wink

I'm happy you got it working. Better if you know what the problem is/was. If your FW's are working ok, it could very well be just the configuration of the individual channels in the M3.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I believe that large sysex dumps take just as long on mLan as they do with M3-firewire.

Coronado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg:: wrote:
I could be wrong, but I believe that large sysex dumps take just as long on mLan as they do with M3-firewire.

I don't know. I never worked with mLan. Could very well be. Synchronizing the editor with the M3 through FW, takes about forever..
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronado wrote:
jg:: wrote:

I don't know. I never worked with mLan. Could very well be. Synchronizing the editor with the M3 through FW, takes about forever..

Yes, using only the EXB-FW means you're using original/legacy MIDI dump speeds. Try doing it with USB-MIDI instead - it's a faster protocol when it comes to MIDI communication. Which means mLan is just as slow.

Regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: