Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestation LCD dim, can I put in LEDs instead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoTriton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Wavestation LCD dim, can I put in LEDs instead? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I've had a Wavestation for a couple of years now and while I really like it she's getting long in the tooth in regards to the LCD.

It's really dim now. I've read about replacements etc.. but I was wondering if anyone has successfully disabled the EL backlight and installed LEDs around the LCD display instead? I'm very good with a soldering iron and I know how to wire up LEDs and such but I'm curious if anyone has done this?

I reckon the brightness and readability will be fine with such a retrofit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In a couple of weeks I'll be replacing the EL panel on my O1W becuase it's really dim, but I'm going to use another EL panel rather than go for LEDs because there's not really much space in the O1W. It seems that apart from having to take the whole keyboard apart, replacement should be fairly easy and simply involves securing the new panel over the old one and swapping the connectors. I should imagine it's pretty much the same in the Wavestation as well.

There's a couple of companies that sell what look like suitable panels, www.microstru.com in USA and www.glowsafe.com in UK. I'll be ordering from UK.

Also, I'm not sure that LEDs will give an even illumination, whereas EL panels are very uniform.

Mike.
NeoTriton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, let me know how you make out and which model you ordered for the retrofit as I might just go that route if there's not a lot of room in the Wavestation. I'll know more when I take it apart to have a look.

Mine is making a high-pitch whine from the EL and I assume it's because of it's age.

Thanks!
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. It'll be a couple of weeks at least. I might even write up a HowTo...

I've got an open air gig this weekend and I really wish I'd been more on the ball and got it sorted ages ago!

Mike.
synx508

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just replaced the Optrex DMF5005 LCD in my Wavestation AD with a generic 240x64 LCD that I bought from an ebay seller in Hong Kong for $49.
The replacement has an integrated white LED backlight which is brighter than the a new replacement EL backlight was in the Optrex, it also has better contrast - technology has moved on in the 15 or so years since the Optrex panel was released.
I did the swap because I'd bought the Wavestation knowing it was faulty and on disassembly I discovered that the original display had been
damaged, presumably during backlight replacement.

I tried to find the original Optrex display but it was easier to find something based on the same driver IC - the Toshiba T6963C.

The good news is that this generic part fits perfectly, it's not significantly thicker as some LED backlit panels are.
The bad news is that you either have to make up your own ribbon cable set or desolder the header from the Optrex display. I chose to desolder it, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone who doesn't have experience of desoldering multi-pinned parts from a double sided PCB without damaging the part. Additionally, there are some electrical differences. Pin 4, the LCD's negative voltage pin, needs less current and voltage than the original. I did this by putting a 10K variable resistor between the wavestation's pin 4 output and (logic) ground and taking the wiper to the display's pin 4. This preserved the range of the original contrast control nicely.
Pin 19 (font select) on the new part had no internal pull-up resistors so it required tying to +5 volts (pin 3) to stop the display randomly toggling between 8x8 and 6x8 pixel characters. The new display has an onboard negative power supply which isn't required, this is carried out to pin 20. I simply cut the ribbon for pin 20 just in case the wavestation end of the cable was grounded or similar.
The wavestation's EL backlight inverter also needs some kind of load or it'll whine loudly. I soldered a 22k resistor across the disconnected ends of the cable and wrapped it in electrical tape, ideally I'd remove the inverter's power source but I don't have the schematic and didn't fancy removing the whole main board to trace it.

The resulting display is absolutely gorgeous, the display I'm using is blue/negative, so the text shows up white on a rich blue background.

Here's a bad photo
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in another thread here, I've just replaced the EL screen in my O1/W and it's fantastic. I tried it out in sunlight (for those open air gigs!) and it's clearly visible. All very good. Took me a few hours but it's been well worth it.

The high pitch whine occurs when either the connection isn't made to the EL panel, or when the panel is old.

I used a panel from these people:

http://www.glowsafe.com/e-shop/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=161

I had trouble with their EL panel because I cut through the power tracks on the back. It's not obvious where the tracks go and the panel needs to be cut down to size so it fits. I managed to re-route the tracks and resolder everything back up but it took two hours. I would say that this is not the easiest panel to use, but it is the cheapest at 8GBP...

Total time was about 5 hours or so including the 2 hours fixing the EL panel.

Mike.
fac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synx508 wrote:
I've just replaced the Optrex DMF5005 LCD in my Wavestation AD with a generic 240x64 LCD that I bought from an ebay seller in Hong Kong for $49.

I think I saw the photo of your A/D @ Matrixsynth. It looks beautiful.

I just bought an A/D myself, and although I'm using the Soundtower editor, I wish I could also change the display, which is too dim. Is there an easier way to do it? That is, without any required electronic skills?

Nord G2 + Waldorf XT + Korg MS2000R + ER-1 + ES-1 + Boss DR-770 + Dotcom modular + Mobius + Ensoniq ESQ-1 + Atomo Mochika
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fac, there seems to be a few companies out there that will replace the backlight for you but it's genuinely a time consuming task and they're prices reflect this. The cost of the backlight itself is minimal in comparison.

If you do it yourself it'll take several hours and you will definitely need a good screw driver and a soldering iron. But, you don't really need electronic know-how because all you need to do is to cut the original EL panel wires and solder on the new panel wires.

BTW, I worked on my O1W so I can't really comment on how tricky it might be for your particular model.

Mike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: