Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alesis Andromeda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Alesis Andromeda Reply with quote

Is there a more recent alternative to this board that you think to be better?
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alesis Andromeda Reply with quote

laughing_bear wrote:
Is there a more recent alternative to this board that you think to be better?

Alternative Maybe the Virus TI for Moog replications and multitimbralism,

Better..

No!

I'm waiting for Moog to do a remake of the MemoryMoog or a Polyphonic/Multitimbral Voyager or something Along those Lines to Blow the A6 Out of the water...

Apart from the Obvious secondhand Vintage Analogs,you won't get as much bang for your Buck in one single Analog instrument Like the Andromeda.think of it as 16 Monosynths in one box each timbre able to have its own sequence or arpeggio(Analog sequencer can use up to 16 steps per part totally user Programmable/arpeggiator is not user programmable)..You may get some alternative synths but nothing of a Patch on the Andromeda its like a Modular synth without the Patch cabling..

DSI P8 maybe is an alternative for replications of certain types of sounds but it still falls short on the Features of the Andromeda with 8 voices(A6 has 16) for a start
The Andromeda is one of those synths that Makes you smile everytime you switch it on and play...

Its loathed by those who had ones with Tuning issues and Loved by those who didn't.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAAAWWW Shocked

You DO have some nice keyboards in your crib man! Love it!

Thanks for that, I could get one for 1600 euros new, but I just dished out for an M3 and Radias, however, I am really tempted.

Never looked into that baby, hence did not hear about tuning problems. Did that occur from day one or after warranty was passed? Wink

Sure I do not want to spend 1.6K on a sausage.

Must give it a good thought, if you have some useful links to read up, I'd be grateful for that.

How about soundbanks, is there good stuff available from top notch programmers? People like Rob Papen or similiar?

Cheers and thanks for your time!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Tuning issues were with the first batch of ASIC's chips(Pronounced A6)Hence where the Name came from..

Not sure which Serial Numbers were affected but many were sent back to the factory to have the new chips fitted,there was a forum which had a list of the Andromedas serial Numbers which were suspected of being dodgy,so if you were buying or being offered a 2nd hand model you could see if it was possibly gonna be a dud.

Most of the later models were rectified,so chances are buying a 2nd hand model maybe ok,Like many Analogs they work best if left to warm up then retune and have the Background tuning on so it alters the tuning according to ambient temperatures.To be honest I don't think many of the A6 have tuning problems now most that were still under warranty have probably been sorted.You cna tell one which has tuning issues by playing a few notes straight after another as each note will use an availible voice,and you can hear the Voices will be out of tune with each other,(More easy to spot if you continually press the same pitch note,you get that oscialltor drift,After initial tune up you shouldn't get that,if its still there its probably got Bad chips.

Not sure if you can still get them new,Alesis were rumoured to have halted production,as they were in some financial trouble,and were bought out or taken over by Numark,I bought mine new 2 years ago,Once warmed and tuned up never had a Problem with Voices whatsoever.

The Andromedas do also have a lot of Bugs with its O.S that Alesis were well aware of but due to financial problems I suspect they cut short the support for the A6,Personally for all its bugs I have only had one freeze,Had it almost 2 years now,the only crash was one of the Known bugs,whereby if you have your Sequencer or Midi devices hooked up to the A6 and switch the Andromeda on after the Connected device it would lock up due to some bug with the Active sensing,but if you power the A6 up first it doesn't affect it.an annoying problem but worked round so it can't cause any issues.

As for Soundbanks,I will say the Onboard sounds apart from a few are dire and don't really showcase the A6 abilities to full extent,Never tried the Rob Papen and the other few commercial banks for it,I have always been into programming so have created most of my own stuff anyway,it can do all manner of Ethereal pads to strange SFX and everything in between,it can growl as well as mellow timbres,a sort of Jack of all trades master of None synth

It may seem a lot of money for the Synth but it was almost double the price when released,and some reviewers classed it as the best New wave analog ever to grace the MI scene,and at that,with its current market value it even more a superb buy it certainly adds a presence to the Sound Pallette thats for sure.

If your a Programmer or have an interest in all manner of subtractive synthesis the Andromeda will keep you interested for hours,Its panel looks more daunting than you think its really quite well laid out and the routing capabilities and Modualtion are one of the best this side of a Modular,its eseentially a Hardwired Modular.

The fact that many A6 don't seem to grace the secondhand market often is testiment to its Desirability of the Owners.I'd certainly never part with Mine,You can pick them up usually around the £1000 Sterling secondhand,or possibly a little less,Anything significantly less I would go over it with a fine toothed Comb it could well be one of the Flakey tuning models.

If I was to choose only 2 synths on which to create Music the Andromeda would be in that 2 along with the Voyager

Here's a good In depth review from Sound on Sound,this review swung my decision to finally Buy one,after drooling over it since its release,but the original Price was a littl hard to swallow.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr01/articles/alesis.asp
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame I don't have the time to fly to London to try it...

Thanks for all the info! Very interesting read!

I am wonderingt, Arturia ORIGIN might be an alternative as well.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/origin/intro.html
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing_bear wrote:
Shame I don't have the time to fly to London to try it...

Thanks for all the info! Very interesting read!

I am wonderingt, Arturia ORIGIN might be an alternative as well.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/origin/intro.html

Hi Bear.

Something that you might have to consider if going with Arturia is that their support is dreadful. I know a few people who needed their help and got no support. I'm one of them.
Check out their forums too. Last time I was there the where lots of threads with 0 replies.

Great products, but noooooo support.

Regards.
Sharp.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL so whats that? Alesis is going belly up and Arturia no support, I think I get a bass triangle instead Wink
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na...get yourself an OASYS Smile

LAC-1 and AL-1 will blow your mind. MOD7...ha..!!! hooo sweet lord it's good.

Regards.
Sharp.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much money for me, I settled for a Radias and M3 instead, Love it Exclamation
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
The Andromedas do also have a lot of Bugs with its O.S.

Alesis itself has a lot of bugs.

I don't understand why they have been dropping the ball the last few years. The Fusion has come and gone (very buggy, to say the least), the Ion has also been discontinued, no new keyboards at NAMM....etc.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: