Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

frequency range of keyboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FigureofFiend

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: frequency range of keyboard? Reply with quote

i'm looking to buy an amp for a keyboard

what frequency range should I be looking for?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should generally be looking for a 'clean' amp, some manufactures specifically make keyboard amps, like I have a laney 150watt 'keyboard' amp. This basically means that it it produces a roughly even response across (within reason) across most frequencies, and doesn't have any gain, drive, or funny tricks with speaker cone shapes.

but two is also usually best so that you can hear in stereo. space them apart.

if you're talking about vintage synths then sometimes it is cool to use some kind of guitar or bass amplifier, but i assume you're not.

if you're just talking about playing at home, maybe you should consider some "active monitors" i.e. 'studio speakers'. or just headphones.
FigureofFiend

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the response

yeah two is what I was going for from the beginning. honestly mono has served me well so far but I know there is a lot that is missing from the sound. prob more than I know.

This amp would be for playing live. The problem with most, if not all of the amps they have at a music store and etc is that the brands they carry (barbetta, roland, etc) lack either power, and more so quality sound. they are really disappointing .

I've come down to considering either a
large active p.a.
or
bass amp (possibly modified with a tweeter?)...but like you said that seems to be for more of a vintage Hammond or something.

I guess I just want the power and personality of a bass/guitar amp, but the clarity and full range of a p.a. because a 450 watt mackie monitor (what i'm using now) will just get blown away by a 300 watt (tube) sunn amp. So i'm really stuck with that.

So -
do you have any suggestions for bass amps with a wide frequency range that have the 'clean' characteristic you spoke of? Or maybe a powerful p.a.?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a PA would be the best bet. if you want to get that driven cutting sound i suggest you invest in some professional stereo effects too. e.g. compression.

also it depends on what kind of sounds you are using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: