Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No programmable arpeggiator??!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: No programmable arpeggiator??!! Reply with quote

So before deciding on an M3. I read the whole manual to see if there is a simple programmable arpeggiator.

I then looked around the forums and saw that it would come in the next update...

That's terrible...
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who told you that? The entire KARMA system, which incidentally is eons beyond any multiple arpeggiators on steroids, is programmable. I realise KARMA 2 technology could be something alien to you, but I would suggest reading up on KARMA GEs and how to program/edit the multitude of parameters.

There are simple arp GEs that can be modified in realtime using the KARMA Switches and Scenes, sliders, etc. However, you can get in behind the scenes into the various Module layers to modify how you wish to have these simple arp patterns play and respond to the Karma Real Time controls.

There is nothing on the market, neither from the other big music manufacturers (Yamaha, Roland, Access, Kurzweil, Waldorf, etc), nor the software companies that can even come close to KARMA.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I'll read up on that. I just don't wanna have to do some insane programming that would literally take only like 2 minutes on all other Korg gear.
sani

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify things up:
Right know you are not able to take a musical phrase and use it as an arpeggio or phrase which can be used and modulated by karma.
I hope I'm correct with this statement.
vectorsynth

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhhhm, today I wanted to try out some things with Karma.
Just returned to my pc and now I see that I spent around 5 hours in front of the keyboard.
Seems that I forgot time and things around me Wink

I'm new to synths, but believe me, when you're a bit familiar how to use Karma,
you won't need an standard arpeggiator anymore, never ever.

Chechkout Stephens Videos: http://www.karma-lab.com/vp/klvp2.html?playID=40 and his webpage !
And the manual part of using Karma, and just have a look at all the Karma GE's in Voice Name List.
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... the songs that I cover sometimes use standard arpeggiators that I have to program myself.

I'm not sure if I'll find that exact one in Karma... such as the unique Trigger arpeggiator that all other Korg workstations (and synths) have.

Simple arpeggiators that's all.

I'm using it solely for live... so I don't really need dynamic arpeggiators at all.... maybe if I was playing by myself at home...
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Quick,
Check your VNL manual (voice name list) PDF. Make sure that you have the Bookmarks reference menu at the left open. Go down to KARMA GE bookmark, hit the + to expand, then click on Category: Arpeggio. Here you can read the information on GE #s 0 to 158. Looks like they're on pages 112 to the beginnng of 114.

Next, you can take any synth program that you like and start auditioning what each of these Arp GEs does. From there, you can select the one(s) that fit your bill. That should get you started for now.

Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thee are a lot of arpeggiator patterns through KARMA, but i still believe the topic starter made a good point.

The m3 is now for quite some time on the market, and still there is no possibility to fill the user GE's with your own patterns. In the beginning there was some rumour that we could transfer Easy patterns from the sequencer to the user GE's.
Even the M3 software which will be released by Stephen when it's ready, isn't capable to transfer the patterns you created to the user ge's in the M3 itself due to the M3 firmware currently available.

If you look other synths in the same price range like the Motif XS or the Virus TI, they all have programmable arp's.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
Hi Quick,
Check your VNL manual (voice name list) PDF. Make sure that you have the Bookmarks reference menu at the left open. Go down to KARMA GE bookmark, hit the + to expand, then click on Category: Arpeggio. Here you can read the information on GE #s 0 to 158. Looks like they're on pages 112 to the beginnng of 114.

Next, you can take any synth program that you like and start auditioning what each of these Arp GEs does. From there, you can select the one(s) that fit your bill. That should get you started for now.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric,

You have a good point that the KARMA function is versatile and has many standard arpeggio patterns. For many uses, this is nice and what one is looking for.

However it is NOT a fully user-programmable (Triton style) arpeggiator where the user can define any (and I repeat: any) sequence of notes to be played by the KARMA function.

Let me give you an example of what I want (this is probably more than the Triton could but it should be a piece of cake for the mighty KARMA function):

Whenever I press 4 keys on my keyboard I want them to be numbered #1-#4 (with the lowest note I press being #1 up to the highest note being #4). I then want the M3 to play this pattern (just an example):

#1, #2, #3, #3, #4, #2, #4, #1, #3, #1, #4, #4, #2, #3, #2, #2, #4, #2

In this 18-note sequence, I want the two last notes to be half as long and play twice as fast as the rest of the sequence (so if the other notes are half-notes, these two should be quarter-notes). I want the first two notes to play simultaneously. I also want the 5th, 8th, 12th, and 13th note in the sequence to be quite long while the 7th and 16th note to be very short or staccato.

I want to be able to create this exact sequence. Not just close but this exact sequence. I don't want to scroll through a thousand GE's in hopes of finding something similar that can be tweaked with tons of parameters hoping that I'll get close to this sequence. I want to be able to define this sequence and play it exactly the way I imagine it, whether it is the sequence I just used as an example, or any other conceivable sequence of notes.

Can the KARMA function do that for me? Nope.

This example was complex in that it involved different note lenghts and notes being played simultaneously. It might be more than one should expect from a standard programmable arpeggiator. But KARMA is the most complex, advanced and powerful phrase and pattern generator on the planet. It should be able to do what I outlined in this example, using just a tiny subset of its parameters and possibilities. All that is missing is an interface to put in the information about the pattern.
Voltan

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:

Can the KARMA function do that for me? Nope.

I believe Stephen Kay's KARMA software will do that (when it's done). But that's an additional purchase...
I also think I've read that once the software is released, a feature that lets you create user GEs inside the M3 is supposed to be added in a system update (not sure about this one)

But for now - Nope.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, such a feature has been talked about. Stephen Kay suggested that it could be done via the sequencer, ie. you record some notes into a sequencer track and then convert that data into a user GE, which would greatly enhance the KARMA feature on the M3 for me and a lot of other users as well.

But the final decision is up to Korg, and I haven't heard any Korg people promising this update, so I'm not holding my breath. If it comes, it'll be a big improvement to the M3 concept, if not - the M3 is still a great synth workstation.

I think it's a shame that such a feature is missing from such a good workstation. I mean, the KARMA function is extremely versatile and powerful and it's a good thing that it has been included in the M3. But the functionality and programmability of the old Triton's arpeggiators should have been in there as well.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
I think it's a shame that such a feature is missing from such a good workstation. I mean, the KARMA function is extremely versatile and powerful and it's a good thing that it has been included in the M3. But the functionality and programmability of the old Triton's arpeggiators should have been in there as well.

I'd agree with that as well. Karma may be dazzling, but it's also limited.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that above all the very first post it's true: M3 HAVEN'T a programmable arpeggiator as one you find on synth as Virus, Waldorf, Roland V-synth or other workstation.

Karma2 is extremly versatile and full of patterns ready to use, but si not a simply programmable arp...

and sometimes this sounds as a great great omission.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm using arps more and more on my TS and have started looking into how to create my own, because it gives me such complete control over how exactly each note will be played, for how long and with what velocity. If I get the M3, I will probalby need to keep the TS handy for the arp feature as well as the 2 audio tracks I will still need.
album cover
Westnik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also suffering from lack of simple arpeggiator, especially for base lines.

If I even found quite good base arpeggio in Karma, I can not change tempo of arpeggio - from 1/8 step to 1/8t or 1/16.

I want to be free! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: