Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

keyboard amp or powered speakers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maintech

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: keyboard amp or powered speakers? Reply with quote

I use my pa500 for home/personal use only and wish to improve the realism and slam the pa500 offers. I heard a demo is a store using one keyboard amp and was impressed, but wonder about the stereo/quality issue with a mono speaker. Some posts say that stereo speakers are important.
If stereo is important, should I consider two powered monitors or two keyboard amps? The room is 12ft x 10ft, and I like to listen to my hi-fi system at live levels, so what do you suggest?
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running my Triton and M3 through a Yamaha Stage Pas 300 system for about a month or so now. Sounds great in stereo plus it's lightweight and easy to operate.
candlewick

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my keyboards and E-Drums through a mixer in stereo in a room about the size you quoted. It's my mini wedding PA. Two community speakers with 12" woofers. Sounds really nice, I also have a powered speaker with 15" and a horn for projecting drums in a larger space. The stereo set up is nice when you've spent a lot of time recording sequencer tracks using headphones and want to hear it playback at "live" levels. Aside from that you can obviously push the space with a single speaker or amplifier.

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 1000W 15" with two 8" and horn cabinet that we use live. When at home we use a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors. Those monitors have great sound (I think) and can hold their own at pretty high levels (which I didn't expect at all when we got 'em). The great thing about the monitors is they are mainly for mixing so you won't compromise sound and you can still blast them pretty loud. They aren't a match for my bass cabinets or the keyboard amp each running at 1000W but, those monitors are loud enough to fill a room your size with ease Smile
maintech

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you've given me something to look at now.
Is the need for stereo output important? I was thinking about the Leslie simulation, which swings from one side of the built in speakers to the other side, and I guess there are other effects that could be lost to mono. Does anyone know if it has much affect due to the prominence of the louder speaker. [that tendency to pull sounds to the loudest speaker is a problem in hi-fi, so I'd think it would be the same for instruments-but I could be raising an issue that does not exist]
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereo output is great for recording situations - otherwise, you can get by without it. I personally like to have stereo going to the Mixer live. This allows us to make our sounds more distinct and when using individual outs it helps on frequency theft.

If you plan on recording and mixing - you absolutely have to have stereo and I most highly recommend studio monitors.
Marc
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use studio monitors in my studio and really prefer a stereo sound.

When I play live I use a Peavey KB300 keyboard amp with black widow speaker for larger venues. For smaller venues I go direct and use a pair of QSC 155F speakers through a Mackie mixing board.

Marc
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using two Behringer B-212As, but found that one was sufficient since I also run through the FOH system.
Very Happy
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: