Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about arranger keyboards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Question about arranger keyboards Reply with quote

It seems that arranger keyboards are very popular in countries other than the USA. I have seen several posts about them on various forums, including models I have never even heard of.

Why are arrangers so popular outside of the USA? Other than the Yamaha PSR series, I have only seen 2 or 3 real arranger keyboards in pro music stores over the years.

Confused
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about arranger keyboards Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
It seems that arranger keyboards are very popular in countries other than the USA. I have seen several posts about them on various forums, including models I have never even heard of.

Why are arrangers so popular outside of the USA? Other than the Yamaha PSR series, I have only seen 2 or 3 real arranger keyboards in pro music stores over the years.

Confused

Probably because people outside the US are not as talented as us Americans therefore need some help via an arranger!! Razz BTW, J/K I have noticed that the Italians make the BEST arrangers and styles!! I wonder why that is!! Very interesting question you bring up!!! Think
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arranger keyboards are huge here in Europe and off the top of my head I can think of two very good reasons why.

1: Compared to the starting price of a Workstation, you could easily purchase a few arranger keyboards Smile I know when you go up in the models to the pro end they balance out, but with such low prices for the less advanced models, it's no wonder why everyone starts out on an arranger keyboard first.

2: There is just more work out there for 1 and 2 man acts than full bands. Arranger keyboards are also dead handy when calling singers and so on.

My 2 Cents.

Regards.
Sharp
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK there seems to be a greater appreciation for live solo music performance at home and for communities such as retirement homes. Being able to do big band classics with a high end arranger is very nostalgic, particularly since the Yamaha PSR-S700/S900 and Tyros 2 can do such high quality brass and band sections. Modern arrangers can easily replace the huge Hammond/Wurlitzer organs from the golden era of Blackpool dance halls and the like. At least, that's my impression from observing the Yamaha arranger forums.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's due to the fact that Italian music is a little more complex than US... Twisted Evil our one man band need a chord progression, a few instruments and some fill in, in the US all you need is an arpeggiator to trigger the drum beat and some "Yo Gangsta Mother F****" audio samples to be played by the upper octave Twisted Evil
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
I think that it's due to the fact that Italian music is a little more complex than US... Twisted Evil our one man band need a chord progression, a few instruments and some fill in, in the US all you need is an arpeggiator to trigger the drum beat and some "Yo Gangsta Mother F****" audio samples to be played by the upper octave Twisted Evil

WHAAA Thats a Great responce Lorenzo!! LMAO True too!! Rolling Eyes Razz
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo always find the right (few) words to catch the point... ROFL

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

Cool
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many reasons why:

Roland's arrangers are made in Italy...

not only arranger keyboards are popular in europe, but Workstations and all the other keyboards.
US and Britain, are the countries that only like guitars (and drums).

Poka/Waltz are very popular in Europe. Arranger keyboards have lots of polka styles.

I used to "play" arrangers alot. But than i wanted to make my own music, instead of just using preset styles.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans also tend to be more self-conscience about appearances. For years I looked down on those who dominantly used arrangers till I found myself hours from a show with two or three synths, no time to do sequences, and having to take pre-recorded files onto stage with me, which totally flopped.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
nikola81

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of the reasons for arrangers in my country is economic. Why would you hire a band of 7 people when you can call just three, and believe me, sometimes they sound better than a whole band.
I'm not saying that we should all use arranger keyboards, but music is business now.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikola81 wrote:
Well, one of the reasons for arrangers in my country is economic. Why would you hire a band of 7 people when you can call just three,

I wasn't asking about that.... I meant why buy an arranger keyboard over, say, an M3, Motif or Fantom?

Cool
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I meant why buy an arranger keyboard over, say, an M3, Motif or Fantom?

Arranger lets you change your music while playing. Let's say, you play some song and while playing you decide to play some solo little bit longer than it originally is. On arranger, it's the question of for how many bars are you going to sustain certain phrase. On workstation, which allows you to play prerecorded sequences (arppegios aren't suitable for eastern music in any way), you can't do that. What you recorded, that's what you have to play. If some song has some 16 bars long solo, you have to play that solo for exactly 16 bars on workstation, because you recorded something else after that solo, like chorus for example. On arranger you'll just continue to play in certain variation for 4, 6 or 8 bars, then hit some fill in and go to variation dedicated to chorus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: