Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which SD card?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musikmachine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Which SD card? Reply with quote

Or does it matter?Would Ultra II offer much faster load times?It's twice as much as the normal SD but i don't know if it's worth getting,i could get two 1gb cards for the same.Any recommendations?I need a card asap! Wink
BostonGreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loading process isnt quick, im not sure whether it improves with the ultra II, i'd imagine it would help ....
BostonGreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how you linking that Mod3 effect Razz
musikmachine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonGreen wrote:
So how you linking that Mod3 effect Razz

Hmmm,i like the fx but the kp3 can't seem to handle much input.I've tried running my mx through it and it's a lot quieter than i'd like,i have to have the input level quite low.My levels are ok,i monitor them through my soundcard.And the quality doesn't seem to be as good as when it's plugged into my soundcard...

So how do i get it pumping if i've got to turn everything right down Confused

Is there something i'm missing?Would i be better of using the phones and mic inputs?

The KP3s on test anyway so i can take it back if it doesn't work out.Maybe ill pick up one of those blofelds instead Cool

I was going run fx chains itb using a midi controller to tweak them live which would be more straightforward but with the Kp3 gives me more flexibility...

The thing thats bothering mre is the led clipping even though the output is not very loud... Sad

[edit]Appreciate any help you can give me on this.I really want to like the kaoss pad but atm its leaving me cold Neutral
triplesquarednine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: i think this might be an issue with you production... Reply with quote

i use the kp3. never have any problems with inputs being too quite.

are you mastering samples before exporting them to the kp3???

computers aren't bullsy like physical gear, maybe you need you put more work into your sampling before hand...

hope that helps.... i know myself that is what i do. my synth's and guitars are always louder than something on my mac/interface. but with a little love they all pound at the same balanced level.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: i think this might be an issue with you production... Reply with quote

triplesquarednine wrote:
i use the kp3. never have any problems with inputs being too quite.

are you mastering samples before exporting them to the kp3???

computers aren't bullsy like physical gear, maybe you need you put more work into your sampling before hand...

hope that helps.... i know myself that is what i do. my synth's and guitars are always louder than something on my mac/interface. but with a little love they all pound at the same balanced level.

No it's not samples.I wanted to run my gear through the kp3 into a pa and manipulate the sound live.I tried running my emx and rs7000 through it and both clipped the outputs of the kaosspad.Thats what i was asking about;my levels were good going through my soundcard but clipping the kp3 at low input meaning the output was too quiet so i was losing a lot of the punch in my mix which wasn't very good,considering how much the kp3 costs...

Anyway i took it back and ended up with an R3 which has the kp3 effects plus the vocoder and radias synth engine.So it has similarities to the kp3,i can route audio into it and treat as an oscillator and manipulate the sound with the onboard fx,lfos and filters so i should be able to achieve what i wanted to with the kp3 without the extra cables Wink

Originally i was going to run audio tracks in Live with an fx chain on the master output with mx and a synth but i thought i'd try the kaoss pad but i can do most of what it can in Live anyway so i'm going to stick with my original plan for now. Smile
BostonGreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro audio gear runs at +4db, most everything else at -10db.

The KP3 is clipping because its receiving a +4db signal into the KP3's -10db input.

One solution is to run all your 'pro' gear (i.e the +4db stuff) into a DI box, most of these have a 'pad' button, allowing you to reduce the signal.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonGreen wrote:
Pro audio gear runs at +4db, most everything else at -10db.

The KP3 is clipping because its receiving a +4db signal into the KP3's -10db input.

One solution is to run all your 'pro' gear (i.e the +4db stuff) into a DI box, most of these have a 'pad' button, allowing you to reduce the signal.

Ah thanks!I thought it was something like that,at least it crossed my mind.I knew about the dB difference between consumer and pro gear from a long time ago when i had a budget soundcard.Is the kp3 not considered pro?Wouldn't it make more sense to give the kp3 more headroom than less and you can reduce the overall volume of the kp3? Confused

If it wasn't for that i probably would have kept it.As it is i'm happy with the R3,super synth Very Happy
BostonGreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, if you see normal rca connections as outputs, they'll probably be -10db output.

It would indeed make more sense to have the kp3 work at +4db, but you have to remember the kp3's roots, which are from the DJ side of musical production. Hence its been designed from the offset to accept, as standard, consumer inputs, mainly turntables that all run at -10db.

If they had the KP3's inputs accept +4db, all the turntable people (the majority of their customer base) would be moaning about signals that are too weak. They'd then have to add a gain control knob etc, to allow the user to select their input.

Its another of those issues where the KP3 is kinda straddling the line between a DJ tool or a production tool.
Scott M2

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which SD card? Reply with quote

musikmachine wrote:
Or does it matter?Would Ultra II offer much faster load times?It's twice as much as the normal SD but i don't know if it's worth getting,i could get two 1gb cards for the same.Any recommendations?I need a card asap! Wink

I've timed 2 different Ultra II cards and both took 52 seconds for a Load-All (and 45 seconds to Boot).
dayuri

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for timing Scott.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonGreen wrote:
Most of the time, if you see normal rca connections as outputs, they'll probably be -10db output.

It would indeed make more sense to have the kp3 work at +4db, but you have to remember the kp3's roots, which are from the DJ side of musical production. Hence its been designed from the offset to accept, as standard, consumer inputs, mainly turntables that all run at -10db.

If they had the KP3's inputs accept +4db, all the turntable people (the majority of their customer base) would be moaning about signals that are too weak. They'd then have to add a gain control knob etc, to allow the user to select their input.

Its another of those issues where the KP3 is kinda straddling the line between a DJ tool or a production tool.

Yeah i get that.I may still get one in the future,or a kp2 as i believe the delays aren't tempo synced and i didn't like that about the kp3.I have been digging into the fx on the R3,same fx as the kp3 and much more control and no rca connectors! Very Happy

Midi implementation is great,in the editor you can reassign ccs so i should be able to some extent be able to emulate the kp3 with my padkontrol Cool
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which SD card? Reply with quote

Scott M2 wrote:
musikmachine wrote:

I've timed 2 different Ultra II cards and both took 52 seconds for a Load-All (and 45 seconds to Boot).

That's good to know,thanks.I don't have the kp3 now i'm sure other people will find that useful Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: