Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is a synth so "alien?"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Why is a synth so "alien?" Reply with quote

OK, this is a bit off topic, but this morning I was looking through a clipart collection a friend gave me and came upon the section of music instruments. All there was in the group (representing keys) was a rather cheesy-looking piano. I wasn't expecting a synth in the clipart but it got me thinking.

Whenever I receive a comment on my playing (whether in a band or solo), people almost always refer to my keyboard as a piano or organ. Is it too difficult to just say "keyboard?" I mean.....a 61-key synth doesn't look like a piano to me.

Many times when you visit a local music store, there are lots of basic consumer-oriented keyboards on sale but rarely a synth.

So......is the synth that mysterious or "alien?" It has been used in mainstream music for ages now, but often goes unnoticed, or is criticized as "too 80's" or "cheesy." Rolling Eyes

Comments?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whenever I receive a comment on my playing (whether in a band or solo), people almost always refer to my keyboard as a piano or organ. Is it too difficult to just say "keyboard?" I mean.....a 61-key synth doesn't look like a piano to me.

Same here..... The general public are musical idiots Smile
An Organ is something you will always find the older generation referring to, where young kids now growing up generally don't even know what an Organ is. It's keyboard to them.

Quote:
Many times when you visit a local music store, there are lots of basic consumer-oriented keyboards on sale but rarely a synth.

In the shops here it's mostly arranger keyboards too. There's also a considerable divide with arranger keyboard players and synth/workstation user as far as technical ability goes. Synth users tend to be heavy into programming and using the keyboard for all it offers, where arranger users generally don't program anything, or go beyond basic edits.

Synths are seen as tools for professionals, where arranger keyboard are considered one man band or home keyboards.
You never see anyone playing an Arranger keyboard on MTV or any music channel. Smile

Quote:
So......is the synth that mysterious or "alien?"

To arranger keyboard players, they just don't get it. A synth is like an arranger without the arranger part Smile

Regards.
Sharp.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yes!

This is one of the two thnigs I hate most in general public!
When they refer to keybs they call just piano or organ!!
The other thing it really annoy me is that when someone ask you "what's your job?" "I'm a musician" "No, I mean your real job" [punch in the face]

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego wrote:
The other thing it really annoy me is that when someone ask you "what's your job?" "I'm a musician" "No, I mean your real job" [punch in the face]

Laughing
Voltan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
so true Laughing
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing someone brought the topic up!!!

i was always thinking about this..

People (even those that play instruments) only know about guitars, and a few other instruments like violin or saxophone.
Plus that like to constantly repeat "live music is better"

Sharp wrote:
The general public are musical idiots Smile

especially in US and Britain. where people only know about guitars.

and there is another group of people, that is even worse:
the people that say and beilieve that "arranger-keyboard" is "better" than a workstaion, because on arranger you play live, and on Workstation you just play midi files ( check out synthzone bbs arranger keyboard forum)
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

In the shops here it's mostly arranger keyboards too. There's also a considerable divide with arranger keyboard players and synth/workstation user as far as technical ability goes. Synth users tend to be heavy into programming and using the keyboard for all it offers, where arranger users generally don't program anything, or go beyond basic edits.

Synths are seen as tools for professionals, where arranger keyboard are considered one man band or home keyboards.
You never see anyone playing an Arranger keyboard on MTV or any music channel. Smile

[/quote]

YES!!

also, try to ask an "arranger" keyboard to play you something without auto-accompaniment, with both hands.
You'll be surprised!!

Also, the companies (Roland, Korg, Yamaha) ruined it the most!!!

Why didn't they try to name them properly like: "auto-accompaniment machine"
or something that makes sense????!!!!

I wanna kill myself and everybody!! when I look at a auto-accompaniment keyboard and it says "Arranger Workstation" or "Digital Workstation"

Hello!!!!!

What's wrong with Korg, Roland, and Yammie ?????!!!!!

That's why I Love KURZWEIL and ENSONIQ etc...

and that's why I'm moving into software, because there is no faking there or arranger-keyboard stuff in software, maybe just loops and stuff, but basicaly it's more "right"!
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, some none musical people, and a little musical people...
whenver they see a keyboard or a synth or a auto-arranger or whatver, they always think that that's an auto-accompaniment keyboard.
I hate when people come up and say can you play me a song?
I start playing, and than they say:

"no, something with music" , "can you make the keyboard play the music"

I can't beilieve how Arranger-keyboards ruined everything!!

Who invented arranger keyboard must Die!!!!!!
Voltan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Laughing

but really... I do myself feel that "live music is better", meaning I enjoy seeing bands live much more than listening to them from a CD and I enjoy playing live on stage a lot
what I can't understand is that some people (especially metalheads, I'm in a heavy metal band myself) keep saying that they prefer a band to play "live instruments" (probably meaning non-electronic and really meaning "no keyboards")...
as if the keyboard was not a real instrument or somehow inferior to a guitar or something

btw, a piano or a hammond organ is ok, a synth is not... WTF? Wink
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
btw, a piano or a hammond organ is ok, a synth is not...

Yeah.....totally illogical!

My favorite though, is when some guitarist starts playing an old riff from the 60's and people say, "that's cool," but if I play something reminiscent of ELP, or a song from the 80's I hear, "that's cheesy!"

Rolling Eyes
Voltan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to take this all with good humour.... and i'm still getting a keytar one day Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
Keytars in Poland have a double (or more) cheese factor because they do not only get instantly connected with the 80s but also with some very bad Polish dance music (mostly from the 90s) popular mostly in the least developed regions of the country...
Playing a keytar in a metal band here is total suicide but I'm still getting one... one day that is... got some purchases with higher priority before that Wink Laughing
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

but really... I do myself feel that "live music is better",

i can agree on "live music is better".

But i can't stand people saying that playing an arranger keyboard is better than prerecorded music or a synth..

Yes people like to see the musician on stage and hear their music, even arranger keyboard player.
But they have to uderstand that arranger-keybord player doesn't play everything himself.

I rather listen to a keyboardist playing along to a backing track.. rather than arranger-keyboard player playing "live"

and general public should understand that making a backing track is much more difficult than just playing live

btw, those people that really like LIVE instruments and hate keyboards because they're Synths should stop and think about electric guitar: is it Live or is it electric, or is only Acoustic guitar considered live.
so if they say electric guitar is live than synth is Live also...

and another example:
they say Turntablelism/DJing lis ive and synth isn't

Voltan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's with the font? calm down Wink
I agree on the "playing to a pre-recorded backing track" thing
higskies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
what's with the font? calm down Wink

Little Lord FONT-leroy.

(My wife tells me I am the only one who laughs at my jokes.)
Korg TR, Legacy DE, padKontrol, M-Audio Axiom, Alesis QS7.1, Yamaha YS-200, Casio VZ-8M, Roland D-110, E-mu ESI-32, Absynth 3, FM7, Live 7, Sonar Producer 7, PreSonus Firepod interface, KRK Rokit5 monitors, Focusrite/Behringer/PreSonus preamps, Rode/Blue/Shure mics, kazoos?, Fender Telecaster, Danelectro U2, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, VOX/Peavey/Gorilla amps, Sigma DY10 Acoustic
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go with Sharp, regarding the "general public"...

And I went through life as a classical musician....think about the abuse I suffered...!! However, people did get amazed if there was a piano nearby I could jump on...always impresses, so I guess the name is just such a part of the whole lexicon...we can't escape it..

John Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: