Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXB MOSS STRUCTURE (3 or 4 chips on the left part?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
korg_nikos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: EXB MOSS STRUCTURE (3 or 4 chips on the left part?) Reply with quote

Hi to all members.

I have one EXB-MOSS installed in my Korg Triton Extreme and recently purchased (lucky me!!!) a Moss-Tri for my Trinity. I have also one Solo-Tri but i would like to ask few questions regarding hardware structure and distinguishes between the EXB-MOSS and the MOSS-TRI and also possible distinguishes between two EXB MOSS boards (if there exist any after all) Let me be more specific and you will get the picture

I know (however without trying myself) that EXB-MOSS doesn't fit in Trinity and also MOSS-TRI doesn't fit to Triton.

Having a look at some images i have noticed that some boards have an I/C chip less.

Look for yourselves below.

The above picture shows an EXB-MOSS. Leave aside the 12 DSP chips on the right and focus on the three chips on the left part of the board. What you see is one horizontal chip with a sticker attached to it and two chips vertically positioned.

Now have a look at the following picture.
You will see the same EXB-MOSS but this time it has 4chips on the left part. There is no sticker attached on the top horizontal one and also there is a fourth chip (vertically positioned)

Does anybody know why is that and what it provides the Board with?

I have noticed this difference because as i have written in the beginning of my post i have recently purchased a Moss-Tri and just out of curiousity i wanted to know how am i supposed to identify the boards.

Having a quick search on Google images I have found out that there are even EXB MOSS boards that differ.

Now what is the case? Does EXB MOSS have 4 chips on the left part or 3?
My Moss Tri board has 3 chips.

The cover of the official EXB MOSS Korg carton box shows the EXB MOSS having 3 chips.

Check also the photo here:

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=EXBMOSS

Can somebody please help?

My EXB Moss has 4 chips on the left and my Moss Tri has 3 chips.
However Korg USA on the official site show the EXB MOSS having 3 chips.

Do the pictures that they use on their site show the real thing or not?

Can you guys that own EXB MOSS post here mentioning the number of the chips that your board has on the left part?

Also can you guys that own Moss-Tri (pre-installed in Trinity V3) do the same?

I need to clarify this issue.

Regards to you all and thanks in advance

Nikos

Last edited by korg_nikos on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
korg_nikos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check also here. This is a Moss Tri for Trinity. You can see that Moss Tri has 3 chips on the left part

http://www.netinstruments.com/picture/?p=34210.jpg
korg_nikos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one comments?

What i think after checking several EXB-MOSS boards and also several MOSS-TRI ones is that EXB has 4 I/C chips on the left while TRI has 3.

It seems that Korg put a photo of the Moss-Tri on the carton box cover of the Exb-Moss and also to the sub page of their official site dedicated to EXB MOSS.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably used similar circuits and programmable chips for the EXB-MOSS as they did on the MOSS-TRI to save development costs on PCB manufacturing and design.

The only functional difference I know of that separates the EXB-MOSS and the MOSS-TRI is that the Triton allows for multi-timbral Moss usage, where the Trinity's is mono-timbral only (a massive shame! I would have loved to be able to make duo-timbral Moss basslines or the like). So maybe that's what the extra chip handles on the EXB - the multi-threading (for multi-timbrality)?

Believe it or not I've never actually played a Triton, so don't know the finer points. The next time I open up my Trinity I'll take a look at the Moss board for you, but it might not be for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: