Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 vs Extreme
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
M has a ugly white/grey chassis with crappy material that tends to absorb dust and is hard to wipe off

It's not the material, it's your cleaning technique...or the complete lack thereof. Chuck the lint filled shop rag and get yourself a duster for electronics. Rolling Eyes
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
bkboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the heck are you talking about? i use microfiber cloths slightly dipped (semi wet) in distilled water to wipe my equipment. all synths in the studio its easy to wipe, the m3 panel (for the part where the buttons/touchscreen is) is sooo difficult to clean, the dirt just wouldn't come off. its like a sponge: it absorbs dirt and its hard to wipe it off.

soundwise, the m3 is awesome: nice korg sound, but bodywise, my god...it has a lexus engine with a lada shell.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
the m3 panel (for the part where the buttons/touchscreen is) is sooo difficult to clean, the dirt just wouldn't come off. its like a sponge: it absorbs dirt and its hard to wipe it off.

That's what the heck I'm talking about. If you wanna remove the "dirt" or whatever nasties you've slopped on your module, take a white terry wash cloth, soak it in the hottest water you can stand and ring it out thoroughly until the cloth is just damp and immediately begin wiping down the surface. Then take a clean swiffer duster and lightly brush the surface until it's dry. This may take a few applications depending on how much filth you're dealing with. Heat is the key. It will desolve the oils left by your fingers and any dirt trapped within. And always use terry cloth because it absorbs the contaminates and pulls them away from the surface as apposed to rubbing it in ....or as you referred to it "crappy material that tends to absorb dust." A nonporous surface DOES NOT absorb dust. The only reason you think it's crappy is because you can't deal with it.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
bkboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok smartie pants, the surface i am talking about is porous, its not non-porous like most metal sheets that come in other synths. this piece of crap material is porous and thus, it absorbs dirt like a sponge.

don't blame me about 'spreading filth' because i always wash my hands with soap and water and towel dry it after eating potato chips or some other greasy stuff.

anyway, enough of arguing, let's be friends and make music. do you see why the world has so many wars? i just gave my opinion and it turned out to be 'flaming'.

make love, tea and music, not war.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
plus the idiotic idea of separating the module from the keyboard (when the keybed is not sold separately) makes it look like an arranger workstation (just add 2 cheesy speakers on the cheap white plastic L/R sides).

Great idea! I will actually do this if I end up buying the M3 Very Happy
bkboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my other post fellows. Triton was the greatest Korg after the M1. M3 is not near as good in terms of sound quality. Agreed it has a kawaloopakawooza of features like Karma 2, XY Kaoss pad, computer integration, yadayadaya.

Oh how I miss those classic Triton character of sound.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
Read my other post fellows. Triton was the greatest Korg after the M1. M3 is not near as good in terms of sound quality. Agreed it has a kawaloopakawooza of features like Karma 2, XY Kaoss pad, computer integration, yadayadaya.

Oh how I miss those classic Triton character of sound.

funny... after trying the M3 I had opposite feeling. But maybe you like the old aliasing problems of the triton or the base digital noises at lower volume...
regards, Lorenzo
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
funny... after trying the M3 I had opposite feeling.

I own both. The M3 sounds are much brighter and cleaner than the Triton's. The acoustic sounds in the M3 are more accurate and the synth samples are top notch.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:
funny... after trying the M3 I had opposite feeling.

I own both. The M3 sounds are much brighter and cleaner than the Triton's. The acoustic sounds in the M3 are more accurate and the synth samples are top notch.

this is what I mean
georgnik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: It deppends Reply with quote

Hello fellows,

my opinion is...:

If somebody post in M3 forum such a gallop, he will realize that the majority prefers M3.

On the contrary, if one sets this dilemma in Triton Extreme forum you will get exactly the opposite impression.

Which means...:
Both are extreme good workstations, each one covering different needs and various musical worries Smile
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
i just gave my opinion and it turned out to be 'flaming'

Anyway...

You should seriously contact Korg about your situation. I'm sure they'd be very interested to learn that your particular M3 has a porous surface (a.k.a. piece of crap material) that's actually absorbing dirt straight out of the air...NOT from your fingers...and it won't come off! Or, you could just educate yourself on what porous actually means, follow my cleaning instructions and save yourself from any further embarrassment and so-called flaming. You got yourself into this.
bkboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, agreed it could be the volume level, the factory programs themselves, the aliasing or various different things that make triton totally unsuited to professional music production. Never mind the millions and millions of pros who have indeed used Triton and made it the industry standard.

On the contrary, I don't see much viewings of the M3 on stage (maybe because of its cheesy arranger style looks with trinity2112's porous surface or because of the sounds themselves).

I seriously think M3 demos lack in overall quality compared to the Triton. Even the warm analog tube has been removed, so is the string/physical modeling-capable MOSS board that could make awesome sounds from scratch including human laughter. After all, a little laughter is in order when reading trinity2112's posts.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
Ok, agreed it could be the volume level, the factory programs themselves, the aliasing or various different things that make triton totally unsuited to professional music production. Never mind the millions and millions of pros who have indeed used Triton and made it the industry standard.

On the contrary, I don't see much viewings of the M3 on stage (maybe because of its cheesy arranger style looks with trinity2112's porous surface or because of the sounds themselves).

I seriously think M3 demos lack in overall quality compared to the Triton. Even the warm analog tube has been removed, so is the string/physical modeling-capable MOSS board that could make awesome sounds from scratch including human laughter. After all, a little laughter is in order when reading trinity2112's posts.

The M3 has been out since May ( in the US) and all you have posted has been said by the same dozen or so folks on the Internet

I am not sure why you persist on beating your horse. Other than correct you or have you see possibilities, I am not sure who would want to keep up with your arguments.

Don't you agree this gets pointless after a while ?
bkboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, my buddy,

One of the things I learnt from Nazi germany was silence is not always golden. The first thing to correct an imperfection, whether in a government or in the design of an expensive digital device, is to acknowledge the imperfection. The second step would be correction. If I don't beat the war drum on the M3, chances are the next generation workstation (korg mextreme) would be a rehash with Alesis Fusion quality knobs.

Just like parents to their kids, its important to let Alesis, err...I mean Korg, know when they screw up.

I have been a big fan of Korg products a long time: the Kaoss Pad, Extreme, Z1, Wavestation, you name it. In fact, my opinion is Korg makes fatter sounds than the overhyped Access Virus or any other synth on the planet, except the genuine analog ones. But even the genuine analog keyboards cannot match the 'spaciness' of Triton series. I would never compare a 1 note of monophony - Moog Voyager - to 120 voice Triton Extreme, Extreme simply kicks a lot more ass.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I get it. You are passionate about your opinions. Thats ok by me

I have an Extreme 76 w/MOSS and I REALLY love it. I thought I might sell it after I got the M3-M but since they are quite different , I greatly enjoy using Both of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: