Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arpeg trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl2002

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Arpeg trouble Reply with quote

I think my arpeg deffective, unless i'm doing somthing wrong.
no matter what arp option I choose, it plays the note in the same order, from the lowest to the highest.
Am I doing something wrong ?
I just go to the options under pattern and select it therea, am I missing something ?
Thanks,,
JL
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can adjust your arp by hitting your Pattern Button and then using your down arrow to select an Arp Scale for it to play different notes.

Also, if you press the "part edit" button you can cycle through different sounds.

ANnnnd, if you select a keyboard part and then naer the bottom by your step keys, press the arrows right or left, you switch octaves. (You have to hit one of the 16 step keys afterwards to change the sound to that note.

I hope this helps.

-Clive
jl2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive,
thank you,
yeah I know all that.
The thing is, let's say I played chord and I want to change arpeggiator configuration, so I click on the "pattern" button I go to the bottom where I can pick different one, and it does not matter, it still sounds the same it still picks the notes one a time from the lowest to the highest, with no change in the sound, so I was wondering maybe I should click something else, like ok button or write to confirm that change in arp selection.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested mine and the different arpeggios work. But it is hard to tell the difference between some.
jl2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive,
can you do me a favor, maybe you can post some video on youtube or do you know where I can listen to some simple chord different style arp so I would know for sure, if mine works or not. I like this groovebox and I think that I will keep it, but if something is wrong with it, I can still exchange it while it is under 30 days. I do not want to send it back, if that is something I just do not know how to use, but I really think that there is a problem Sad
Regards,
JL
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I can post a Youtube video, make sure to send me a PM as well so I do not forget, I was a busy scientist tonight.

I do know, that, when you run your finger up and down the ribbon (if it's reversed) you can actually see the arp scale on the step keys at the bottom of the ESX-1.

SO, you should listen carefully to each arp scale , they are not that different, go to your octave or 5th or 4th arp scale and you will know 100% if it's defective.

The octave arp scale is just 3 notes and is found in "patterns", "down arrow" to "arp scale", and then turn your knob to the right until it says "Octave" and run your finger up and down the ribbon (or push the slider up and down to the top and down.)

And remember, if you still can not figure it out I can youtube you something to show you how mine works and we can compare.

^_^

-Clive
jl2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, after reading your post and manual again, that I just do not know how to use it correctly.
I though that I have to play several notes, for example in synth part and it will arpegiate it in certain order, depending on the arp scale, that you select, but I think it will just repeat these notes with different speed, depending where you touch the slider.
How is it really suppose to work ? I think I'm just to much of the noob to figure this out. In Reason when I use arpegiator, it is straigh foorward, here I'm getting really confused Sad
The Puppeteer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scale parameter under the pattern menu simply forces the notes selected by the arppegiator to one of the preset scales.

It means for example if the Arpeggiator would play C E G in a chromatic scale, and you select minor, for example, that the notes would play back as C Eb G.

For many chords, the scale won't change the notes.

The EMX1 as far as I can see only has 1 arppegio pattern, that being up. The slider will change the root note of the arpeggio up and down.

This is the single most frustrating aspect of the EMX1 - entering note data. The most effective way is to either step edit it in which is slow, or to play the notes in and then edit out any mistakes. Using an external keyboard or sequencer to input the note data is much easier and effective than trying to use those little pads.
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A way to check the difference in scale is to set ur arp control half way between the centre and top of the slider and play arp while changing scale . This is how i usually find what scale i want to use .

hope this helps a little ....
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now.

The arp is not automatic, you have to actually play the notes up and down with the ribbon or pitch slider.

Question

Only 1 arpeggio pattern for the EMX? That does not sound right, does it?
jl2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
I finally figured this out today, ribon is used to select how fast do you want notes to be repeated and slider actually used to play notes in the arp scale.
Now if I can only figure out how to change midi chanels that are being send by my xiosynth, I will be all set, because not matter what chanel I change it to, it always send data over midi 1
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want you can reverse the ribbon and the slider functions.

This lets you be more creative and intuative with your note playing, but does sacrifice accuracy because you do play almost 25+ notes with that ribbon if it is reversed. (depending on your arp scale)

Personally when I swapped my ribbon / slider functions it was very, very good for my jams.

Also, if you do this, remember to do a global write so you do not have to keep reversing everytime you fire your ESX-1 up.

I think the global write function is under the "Global" options.

Good luck with your music friend! Show us some stuff when it gets done!
The Puppeteer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can press several keys at the same and the arpeggiator will cycle through them, and it will remember them for next time you press the ribbon.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I did not know that!

Arpeggio thread wins.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: