Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the EXB-Radias?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: How's the EXB-Radias? Reply with quote

Just got an M3, and was curious about the various expansions.

Is the EXB-Radias a must-have? I know it's not MOSS, but it's got much more polyphony and interesting features. (I play a lot of synthy trance & electronica stuff btw).
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.....nobody?
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an extra $300 cluttering up your wallet then, yes, it's a must have. I ordered one with my M3 and really enjoy it, especially in Combi mode. I've also used it in almost all my sequences. You get a decent bang for the buck. I actually prefer it to insanely expense Triton MOSS board...which is rather lame when compared to a full blown Z1.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
I actually prefer it to insanely expense Triton MOSS board...which is rather lame when compared to a full blown Z1.

I was told MOSS was the same as a Z1.....just less polyphony and no XY pad.
sabol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
Trinity2112 wrote:
I actually prefer it to insanely expense Triton MOSS board...which is rather lame when compared to a full blown Z1.

You may find many discussions about EXB-Radias and I guess most of owners think it of great value, more or less like a must have. There have been also many discussions whether to have the expansion board or the complete Radias module (there are pros and cons).

But this is not a good idea to compare (EXB)-Radias to Z1. The Radias is just a virtual analog synth (although a very nice sounding). For Z1 the virtual analog is just one of 13 different synth engines. I can't comment about MOSS because I do not have it, but I have heard it like Z1 with limited polyphony.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:

They forgot to tell you about the MOSS board's 64 missing multisets, 384 missing programs, the complete lack of dedicated controllers & PE knobs, the scaled down editing parameters and anything else I forgot to mention. Other than that, it's all the same sh*t. Laughing
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
Synthoid wrote:

They forgot to tell you about the MOSS board's 64 missing multisets, 384 missing programs, the complete lack of dedicated controllers & PE knobs, the scaled down editing parameters and anything else I forgot to mention. Other than that, it's all the same sh*t. Laughing

What's the scaled down editing? I had a Z1 myself (but not now to compare) and I can't think of any missing parameters.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Synthoid,
Sorry I missed this. EXB RADIAS for the M3 is an excellent addition. I won't say it's better than MOSS, but employed within the M3's KARMA 2, realtime control surface and vocoding functions, it's awesome and a hell of a lot cheaper than EXB MOSS or Z1.
I'm still tweaking a RADIAS charged combi for the M3 that I will share with KLF and KF members when it's ready.
Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc

Last edited by EJ2 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
Synthoid wrote:

All the Z1 factory and exp-card sounds are in the download section in MOSS format.

Regards.
Sharp.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other interesting points for comparing EXB-MOSS with EXB-RADIAS... While the MOSS had several types of synthesis (which was very very nice), the RADIAS has a lot of advantages over MOSS, especially in the way it is integrated with the synth:

- On the MOSS, you had to assign the number of voices that should be used by each MOSS timbre when in sequencer or combi mode. The Radias does this dynamically, so you only have to enable Radias on up to 4 timbres.

- On MOSS, you had to select one of the MOSS timbres in sequencer or combi mode which would decide the effects settings for all MOSS timbres. In other words, every sound from the MOSS card went through the same sound bus into the Triton's effects system, and it was impossible to have one MOSS timbre with delay and another with overdrive, for example. On the M3, each RADIAS timbre can be routed individually through the effects just like any other timbre.

- On MOSS, there was program bank F. This was the only bank in the synth capable of storing MOSS programs. On the M3, bank I-F is still hardwired for RADIAS sounds and I-A - I-E are hardwired for EDS sounds (and I-G is the GM bank as usual). But each user bank (U-A - U-G) can be assigned to either EDS sounds or RADIAS sounds. I have assigned my U-F and U-G banks to RADIAS, so that I can create my own sounds without having to overwrite the presets if I don't want to. This is very nice.

- 24 voice polyphony compared to 6. Now you can actually play chords even if you have a little bit of release time on the envelopes. Smile

But I do miss some of the more exotic oscillator models of the MOSS card, the ability for both OSC1 and OSC2 to be synched to the other, the ability to select "fingered" portamento so that you have to play legato for it to glide between notes etc (however this is now possible on the standalone RADIAS with some clever use of version 2.0 features and EG3 controlling portamento time). So there are functions from the MOSS board that can't be emulated on the RADIAS board, just as there are functions from RADIAS that can't be done on MOSS.
r12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if korg release a combo exb radias/moss, I sell my exb radias and buy it even if it's more than 500 $ Very Happy

but I don't think so... Confused
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabol wrote:

But this is not a good idea to compare (EXB)-Radias to Z1. The Radias is just a virtual analog synth (although a very nice sounding). For Z1 the virtual analog is just one of 13 different synth engines. I can't comment about MOSS because I do not have it, but I have heard it like Z1 with limited polyphony.

No, I wasn't comparing the two. I have MOSS in my Triton, and know Radias is a different animal. Just wanted to hear some owner feedback.

Smile
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if you link synth sound and want a real (limited) VA on the M3 then you ahve to get the EXB-RADIAS, if you are not interesting in increasing the (real) synth (and not rompler) capabilities than save your money.

what i can say is that synth sound from RADIAS are better then many sounds in normal M3 prog and combi and also modulation and synthesys capabilities are much more similar to what you could find on a VA.

with respect to MOSS (i got it on Trinity), well, i prefer MOSS sound...
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say that EXB RADIAS sounds are better than the M3's internal programs; just different.

Hi rfoshaug,
Just so others don't misunderstand, you still may have to allocate your RADIAS voices, if you want to intetgrate them within a combi. RADIAS programs default to the first 4 timbres in an M3 combi. So, if you want to insert a RADIAS program elsewhere (eg. timbres 7, 9, 13 etc.), then you have to allocate them accordingly. This is done from the P2 EQ/Option page.

Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
i think if you link synth sound and want a real (limited) VA on the M3 then you ahve to get the EXB-RADIAS, if you are not interesting in increasing the (real) synth (and not rompler) capabilities than save your money.

what i can say is that synth sound from RADIAS are better then many sounds in normal M3 prog and combi and also modulation and synthesys capabilities are much more similar to what you could find on a VA.

with respect to MOSS (i got it on Trinity), well, i prefer MOSS sound...

I mostly agree. I lov MOSS, even with its limitations. Its one reason why I keep my Extreme
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: