Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i pod or creative's zen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: i pod or creative's zen? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of replacing my Creative's mp3 player as 256 MB of memory is not always sufficient.

The new i pod nano looks sweet but I'm a bit worried about all the constrains that come with it - mainly that the only way of interfacing with the PC is the 'i tunes' software.

A regular mp3 player (like the crestive zen) works as a USB key, no additional software is required. It is not 'i tunes' compatible but its Napster compatible.

I'm not sure which way to go so please let me know what you think.

sewa
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a mac and be happy
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 'i tunes' is also PC compatible so no problems there, but is there something particular about i pods (other then that "lifestyle" nonsense) that make them superior to other mp3 players?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you google the ipod 's share of the market , thats your answer

People choose with their pocketbook/wallet

Thats all I need to know
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
if you google the ipod 's share of the market , thats your answer

People choose with their pocketbook/wallet

Thats all I need to know

You got to be kidding. People's motivation varies. I'm interested in the actual capabilities of the product, not that "lifestyle-hype" that underlies many consumer choices.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats nonsense

read the #'s.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
thats nonsense

read the #'s.

With respect, not everyone has the same criteria, and not everyone is a blindly-following sheep. Respect people's wishes to research what else is on offer in order for them to make their own choice(s).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to equivocate a large volume consumer choice item based strictly on the narrow "lifestyle-hype" is clearly not accurate

There is a lot more involved. Thats my point

What 1 individual does here is fine
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is not to lock myself into something proprietary if I can help it. When I was looking for an mp3 player, I asked myself what exactly it was that I wanted it to do. My answer to myself? Play mp3s, and have room for lots of them. That's it.

I settled on a Rio Carbon (don't know if they're still in production - this was a couple of years ago). I'm perfectly happy with it. It's got 5GB of room, and it plays mp3s. Does what I want, and does no more than what I want. Perfect.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equally, giving someone advice to buy an Apple Mac computer, enabling them to buy/use an iPod - for merely allowing them to listen to music at the end of the day - isn't both ludicrous nor excessive?

Back on topic, I don't own an mp3 player nor know much about their interfacing and DRM, but after an initial scout around on the net some makes could be: Cowon, iRiver, Creative Zen, Rio audio, M$ Zune, and of course the iPod.

Call me stupid, but in my mind an mp3 player should play any mp3/mp4, that's it's job, not inflict restrictions on what you can and can't play as if it were some backseat grandma. That's the criteria I'd choose if I were to look for one.
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for feedback guys. I have been thinking about sony in particular this model: http://www.sony.de/view/ShowProduct.action?product=NWZ-A816&site=odw_de_DE&pageType=Overview&imageType=Main&category=NWA+WMT

It true however, that I'm mainly after big storage capacity. I'm not going to watch pictures, not to mention videos, on this player. Its interfacig with a PC isn't as easy as with an USB stick either. Sony delivers a dedicated software for that purpose just like Apple does.

Finding a right balance between functionality and simplicity does not seem easy nowdays...anyway thanks for suggestions, I will have a look at those.

cheers

sewa
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know about sony or the zen but a friend of mine use to have an mp3 player of a well known brand here in Italy (there are still lot of them in the streets... but I couldn't remember the name and I don't want to make a mistake writing the wrong brand here) and than he had a ipod shuffle for his birthday... well put the same song on both, attatch it to the ampli of his home hi fi (a really $$$ hi fi) and we were simply astonished by the fact that the two players could have so many differences in the sound. At the end of this little story... well the brand XYZ player became from that time a simple mass storage device... and the ipod... well an ipod. I want to say that here I'm not talking about volume, but sound quality and frequencies range played by the two models.
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that corresponds to what I read about ipods. They seem to have crappy earphones though, so replacement would probably be necessary there. At 149 Euro an i pod nano is a tempting option, however there is a large competition out there nowdays, offering similiar soundquality without Apple's restraints. I therefore want to research a little before I plunge in.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to know also that I'm not an ipod fun... eh eh eh I'm talking in good ways about ipod quality but I have to say that my girlfriend had problems with assistance... in the contract there is a charge of some money for software uploading buy the assistance (I already tried to fix her ipod loading the last software but they did it anyway and now they want 15€ for the work... I'll have to go there with a big katana or a machine gun and ask them if they are really shure about this... Evil or Very Mad ) and other services... so take your time to read the agreement too.
Regards, Lorenzo
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valid point Lorenzo, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: