Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compressed PCM samples in the M3: is lossless compression?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Compressed PCM samples in the M3: is lossless compression? Reply with quote

One of the difference often higlighted between the M3 and the Oasys is that M3 has compressed PCM samples, while Oasys has linear PCM samples.
Is the compression in the M3 lossless? Or the compression causes a sound quality drop?

thanks in advance

k.b.

Ps. I'm not complaining on M3 sound quality, I like it very much, it's only technical curiosity Wink
Animal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I guess that the compression affects the speed of loading new sounds when changing patches. This issue is discussed here.

It should be lossless compression though, I think.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCM compression is always lossy in synthesizers, and a requirement to fit large amount of samples in a ROM chip. But you shouldn't worry about if it sounds good for you, for most sounds isn't noticeable.

Evidently, as the OASYS is focused on delivering the highest possible audio quality it doesn't use compression for the samples. The differences in sound are evident between the M3 and the OASYS, as it is the price also.
anhe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oasys uses lossless compression since os 1.3.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorremifasol wrote:
The differences in sound are evident between the M3 and the OASYS, as it is the price also.

And sound quality differences is also evident between M3 and Triton series synths. Smile

Anyway, maybe the difference in sound quality is also due to the different synthesis algorithms.

Andrew
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer memory (ROM and RAM) is not so expensive that it explains the price difference between M3 and OASYS... Laughing

Actually, as cheap as memory is these days, there can't be much to save by using compressed samples in the M3. Something tells me that there is another reason why they compressed some of the samples. Maybe faster loading times? I don't know. But the extra PCM ROM hardware that would be required for all M3's samples to be uncompressed wouldn't cost many $'s...

What I do know, however, is that the M3 sounds very sweet. There seems to be more presence in bass and treble compared to the Korg Karma (using the HI synthesis from the Triton series).
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
Actually, as cheap as memory is these days, there can't be much to save by using compressed samples in the M3.

But the extra PCM ROM hardware that would be required for all M3's samples to be uncompressed wouldn't cost many $'s...

I think the issue IS cost. Given the Korg M3, Roland Fantom X, and Motif XS ALL use Sound ROM compression, if cost was not an issue one of them would have the extra RAM.

As I have stated before, I have been told that the actual cost of any hardware has a 3x-5x cost impact on the retail price. Therefore a $50 addition in hardware will turn into a $150-$250 retail price impact.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not confuse the kind of compression found in synthesizers with regular compression used in daily PC tasks such as ZIP, RAR, etc.

I have worked with many sound chips of game consoles (which are complete synthesizers by themselves), and all of them had some kind of compression, mostly based on ADPCM algorithms. Decompression is always made in REALTIME by the sound chips, there is no sample loading / decompressing procedure.

You can not compare computer RAM to specialized synthesizer RAM or ROM. One is sold in million of units and the other is sold in much less quantities, that makes a big difference in the price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: