Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the perfect complement to the esx? (9090)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: the perfect complement to the esx? (9090) Reply with quote

hi,

i just wanted to post here about how i'm going to be using my esx in the future. i'm building a 9090 drum machine. it's a roland tr909 clone, minus the sequencer, but can be triggered via midi. i really like both synthetic and sampled drums and the way they can sound when layered together, so i will be sequencing the 9090 with my esx for analog drums, combined with the esx putting out drum sounds i've recorded from my friends. i'll run that through another device i'm building that has a couple compressors, audio/midi triggered gate, and five distortion modules. wish me luck!

ultra
anselmi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!
really nice science project man!

did the 808 schematics have something in common whit the 909 ones?...of course i mean in the analog parts, not the sampled ones...if they did then you can make some routing switch to change from one machine to another in each drum, even in realtime or MIDI controlled...

did your clone project have the sampled based cymbals like the real 909?...i think this would be hard to make and since they´re just samples they aren´t so far from loading them in the esx...(please don´t start the analog-vca-s**t-blablabla here)

send us pictures of the progress work!
ultra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the analog vs. digital debate is non-existent to me. i'm building analog gear, but own a v-synth xt and use a computer (love live and reaktor). it's all great.

i'm not building an 808 and i really don't know much about them regarding the electronics. there is a system called "midibox" (http://www.midibox.org) that has many different projects to it, and i believe one might be an 808. of course, that might be a modification of something built by someone else. i'm building the pattern based sequencer from that site.

the 9090 does indeed have cloned analog circuitry and digital cymbals. the pcb kit i bought (http://www.introspectiv.eclipse.co.uk/) included roms pre-loaded with the cymbal sounds. there are over 1100 parts to put together for this, so it's quite a project. it's not quite as expensive at it would sound though, because the 909 is full of inexpensive passive components.

keep in mind that what i'm doing with this isn't so impressive. i'm not the person who reverse-engineered the 909 and i'm merely building something by following directions. anybody on this forum who thinks they might have an interest in building audio gear should really just jump into it. about a year ago, i decided to get into it and i built ray wilson's "weird sound generator". it's a very easy device to build and a great introduction into electronics because you get instant results. i still consider myself to be new to DIY electronics because there is so much to learn, but anybody with questions about how to get into it or anything should definitely contact me.

i'll get pictures soon enough. i'm so busy building these devices that pictures seem to be the last thing i think of. if you visit that introspectiv link, you can see pictures of the original 9090.[/url]
reddone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ultra , ive been looking on the midibox site at various kits , but apart from the x0xb0x the coolest one is the c64_sid synth mod .
I listened to the demos and was blown away . I see that the kit is only a small price , does it come with knobs or will i have to find them ? actually , do any of the kits have knobs ?

The sid demo showed off some things ive not even heard my mx do , i must have one .....
ultra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there are a variety of sid options available and i'm not too familiar with them. you can build it using anywhere from 1 to 8 sid chips. a guy on there created the "MB-6582", which is a set of two pcbs. one for 8 sid chips (and associated parts), and another for the control surface. this seems to be the most popular kit. they're also doing panel and case group buys for this.

none of the midibox projects come with knobs, you have to find them on your own. however, finding part numbers on the forum shouldn't be a problem.

the x0xbox available at the midibox site is not midibox related, just so you know. that's sasha's project and the only reason it's posted there is because he's a quite active member of the community.

knobs are the last thing i'd worry about if you're going to build a sid Wink. look into the group buys and pcbs for wilba's MB-6582 and see if you can still get in on any of them. wilba also sells sid chips. keep in mind they're not cheap (~$25 each).
michael day

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is refreshing...i just got the korg electribe and yeah it sounds super fat but i still see the benefits of keeping reason and ableton in the picture.

ultra wrote:
the analog vs. digital debate is non-existent to me. i'm building analog gear, but own a v-synth xt and use a computer (love live and reaktor). it's all great.

i'm not building an 808 and i really don't know much about them regarding the electronics. there is a system called "midibox" (http://www.midibox.org) that has many different projects to it, and i believe one might be an 808. of course, that might be a modification of something built by someone else. i'm building the pattern based sequencer from that site.

the 9090 does indeed have cloned analog circuitry and digital cymbals. the pcb kit i bought (http://www.introspectiv.eclipse.co.uk/) included roms pre-loaded with the cymbal sounds. there are over 1100 parts to put together for this, so it's quite a project. it's not quite as expensive at it would sound though, because the 909 is full of inexpensive passive components.

keep in mind that what i'm doing with this isn't so impressive. i'm not the person who reverse-engineered the 909 and i'm merely building something by following directions. anybody on this forum who thinks they might have an interest in building audio gear should really just jump into it. about a year ago, i decided to get into it and i built ray wilson's "weird sound generator". it's a very easy device to build and a great introduction into electronics because you get instant results. i still consider myself to be new to DIY electronics because there is so much to learn, but anybody with questions about how to get into it or anything should definitely contact me.

i'll get pictures soon enough. i'm so busy building these devices that pictures seem to be the last thing i think of. if you visit that introspectiv link, you can see pictures of the original 9090.[/url]

Korg Electribe SX

uniform recordings
homesick recordings
Inhale Music

www.michaelday.us
www.myspace.com/michaelday77
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: