Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smartmedia transfer for emx to PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: smartmedia transfer for emx to PC Reply with quote

hey havnt posted in a while.

i got a new dell pC recently and noticed as well as a firewire port, it has a smartmedia port (SM).

just wondering if i put my card from tyhe emx in there, if i could save my songs and patterns to my pc, so i could free up some space on my card?

if so, would i then be able to transfer songs back from the PC (obviously files compatiable) to my emx?

SMARTMEDIA CARDS ARE RARE! please help!
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the pc reads the file format if thats what you mean.I have a usb reader i plugin to my laptop and i can copy dragndrop the emx files just like anything else.I might know of someone on ebay who has SM cards,i'll check.Alternatively you can get an xD to SM adapter which will work out cheaper anyway,you could get two xD cards with the adapter and it would cost about the same as one SM card! Shocked
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv checked out adapters before, but now iv tried my card in the PC slot it seems to work.........except, my computer has no program to open the file with!

i noticed that free drag and drop software for ESX. will that work (in terms of organising) my patterns etc.. on the emx?
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESX wave organizer, it's been brought up so many times and it's the sticky topic on this forum... use the search feature, I have written about this topic so many times you can find a lot more information. in fact there's one that's just a couple posts down,.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

well here's the deal there are a few factors... first of all the original samples besides the waveforms kinda suck... in fact a lot of them are ripped from pcm on the emx so if you use them it's useless... the first thing I did was clear out all the samples except for the basic waveforms(which by the way I cleared out pretty quick too replacing them with these crazy potent analog versions I have laying arround)..... the program is not too good to be true, it is a very good utility and it works really well... it requires a smart media card (which are discontinued but you can get what's called an xd to smart media adapter on new egg for 4 bucks.... then all you gotta do is find an xd card that is LESS then 128 mb....)

anyways now that you have a card you can transfer the .esx files back and fourth...

megabytes do not equal seconds by any means... you gotta keep a lot of things in mind when organizing your collection.... first and foremost all ur samples must be .wav files or .asf files at 44.100 to be converted into esx format witht he wave organizer properly... it might handle other files but it has made a lot of mistakes in the past for me where files wouldn't load...

another thing is that it's a very good idea to keep most if not all your samples MONO... why? cause the esx memory is very limited and stereo take TWICE as much memory as mono.... third you want the MAJORITY of your samples to be short........ you don't want to be importing loops into it cause you'll have like 10 and NOTHING else.... the most useful thing to use the stretch and slice parts are for beats.... so I sudgest depending on the style of music you make to throw in a few mono breaks onto the machine... maybe a vocal phrase or two..

putting together a library for an esx is a tideous time consuming step... it is a big pain in the ass, you'll want a batch converter (if u got sound forge it has one built in)... you want to keep in mind how you're gonna use samples.... samplers aren't just for triggering different sounds, they are a way to make music.... keep in mind sound textures picture how you can stretch them or tweak em other ways...... if you put together one high quality sample bank for the machine then you won't have to do it again.... spend good time on it it's worth it.... don't forget to cover all areas of samples.... I usually have arround 120 drums organized by categories, about 10 high quality basic waveforms, (sin tri saw squ pulse and usually an "analogue" version of each).... then you want a few instrument one shots, vocal stabs stuff like that.... then you want a few one bar breaks to tinker with... and lastly fill the rest with short sonic samples for mangling to build the body of tracks....

have fun
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouchingsyntha wrote:
iv checked out adapters before, but now iv tried my card in the PC slot it seems to work.........except, my computer has no program to open the file with!

i noticed that free drag and drop software for ESX. will that work (in terms of organising) my patterns etc.. on the emx?

I haven't used it but there was talk about an editor for the emx and you can ask iirc,i think Ruso posted a link where you could request an editor for the mx.Maybe an editor would be a good idea,be great to organise patterns from different banks and mix banks together for example.Sometimes i create a pattern and i'll often come back it to it and end up with lots of different variations.Here's what i.ve been doing so things don't get messy,i use bank A for creating patterns which i name by style then i want to create a live set or use them in a track i just copy the patten to bank B to create more patterns or a song or whatever.So bank A is a scratchpad.Haven't decided what to do with banks C&D yet but i might aasign C to using the MX as a sound module with ableton and D as a FX unit.There is a lot be said for been able to rearrange your patterns/sets easily though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: