Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best amp to run M3 thru for live gigs with no PA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Best amp to run M3 thru for live gigs with no PA? Reply with quote

Hi,

I sometimes to do small live gigs (for say 50-100 people). Using the M3 with PA & then foldback monitors is fine. However, would any of you be able to recommend a small amp that I can use for gigs where there is no PA?

I want to create the warmest, most natural sound I can.

The style is mostly piano music.

Thanks - any advice appreciated.
Steve
bctines

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...that's about as subjective a question as you can have.

FWIW, look at the Barbettas. For cost, look at the Roland cubes. However, for my taste, Rolands and Hartkes are much too bright and brittle.

For the least colored, most natural sound (unless you tweak it) you can't the Bose PAS is pretty nifty. Also it's one of the most flexible for small, medium, even moderately large audiences. A very impressive device. And the newer model is much easier to lug around.

However, they don't come cheap.

The smaller "portable" PAs usually aren't the best choice for keys.

Whatever you do, consider getting something from a place that'll let you return it after 30-45 days if you don't like it. Like IO said, it's so subjective.

Also, I'd recommend trying whatever out in an actual venue. What sounds good around the house/studio might not do so well in the real world.
spinoria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should buy a pair of active pa-speakers. Check out JBL eon, HK Fast, Behringer B212A, Mackie, RCF.

Behringer is the budget but is really good value for the money. HK Fast is the speaker I use. It works really good.
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
wuss88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:
I think you should buy a pair of active pa-speakers. Check out JBL eon, HK Fast, Behringer B212A, Mackie, RCF.

Behringer is the budget but is really good value for the money. HK Fast is the speaker I use. It works really good.

Dont get anything Behringer, they tend to be unreliable in the power supply / transformer department. Have to agree on the JBL Eons, had a pair of Eon10s (first series) for years, amazing quality.
cowtothesky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a pair of Mackie HR824's and have been very happy with the sound I get. Like others mentioned, it really depends on a lot of different things. I would probably look at a pair of powered JBL's if I was going to gig in medium size rooms, so that I can place them on separate sides of the stage and get the stereo sound from the stage. I haven't messed around with subwoofers, but can imagine that it would be very nice to have that low end honking at you and rumbling your stomach in certain situations.

I have heard mixed things about the Bose system. For the price, you could probably do much better though unless money isn't an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: