Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cycle through notes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db120

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: cycle through notes? Reply with quote

Is there a way to cycle through notes with one pad on the padkontrol? I'm a relative newbie to this stuff and haven't wrapped my head around it all... thanks, Db
metastatik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not with the padKontrol by itself, you’d need 3rd party software.

This is a somewhat advanced set up, but I’d be happy to talk you through it if you’re interested. I’d need to know what software you’re using with the padKontrol though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classic I was just looking at the video on youtube "Preview of TKP by Kontrol Freqs"

I'm using it with Ableton Live and Guru.. When you say third party, Bome's translator? I'd definitely like to hear your solution! Db
metastatik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

So let’s say you have a pad sending C2 on channel 1. You would create a translator like this…

Incoming message - 90 24 pp
The “90” is a note on for channel 1. The “24” is note C2. The “pp” is a variable for velocity…so it doesn’t matter how hard you hit the pad.

Outgoing message – K (as in the letter K).

The result will be that the pad will send C2 and the letter K simultaneously.

In Live, drop a Pitch plug in (under MIDI effects) on a MIDI track and then drop an instrument after it. Go into Key mapping mode and map the pitch knob in the Pitch plug in to the letter K.

Now everytime you hit the pad it will raise by one semitone…
1st hit – C2
2nd hit – C#2
3rd hit – D2
And so on.

By default the range of the pitch knob is Min –48/Max +48…you can see this in the Key mapping window. I’m not sure what you plan on doing with this…but you might wanna scale the range of the pitch knob. For example, if you set the Min to 0 and the Max to 12, then there will be 12 steps. So each time you hit the pad it will raise one semitone until it gets to 12 at which point it will go back to 0.

You can also combine this with a Scale plug in (under MIDI effects), which lets you specify exactly which semitones will play. You’d place the Scale plug in between Pitch and your instrument.

Each time you hit the pad and the pitch raises…it will move one space to the right in the Scale plug in. You can move the note (orange block) on that space to any note you like.

This basically gives you a step sequencer where each step is triggered manually by you hitting the pad.

Of course you can set this up for multiple notes on the pK so that each pad has it’s own little step sequencer.

I’ve never used Guru, but I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar could be worked out for that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh very cool, gonna give it a go now. thanks for the info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: