Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware Sequencer - Whats good?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Hardware Sequencer - Whats good? Reply with quote

In the coming months, I am going to need to take a hardware sequencer out on the road to accompany my Oasys, 2500RS and JD990... (and yes, I know I could use the O's sequencer but to be honest I'd prefer something else at this point in time..) so I've been looking around and apart from the 8800 (which is really more money than I care to spend.. along with the fact I really don't need the sampling facilities though I love it's screen and mouse interface) I'm not sure what else I should be looking at. The MPC's really seem more sample based than sequencer... and something like the Electribe series, don't really match my tastes in terms of editing etc..

I've thought about the MC-808 but don't know much about them... so that might be a possibility I suppose..

So, suggestions in case I have overlooked something?

I'd prefer two midi outs... (32 midi channels) though I could live with just one.. and it should be easy to record and edit in both real time and step time. I don't need sampling and I don't need built in sounds... though obviously, if the sequencer has them and is within my budget then so be it..

Price.. under $1000... So thoughts anyone?

Cheers..

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around at whats available hardware wise and here in Europe the MV8800 is €2000, thats about $2700, ouch! I cant justify that, plus it does have a lot of stuff that I dont need, CD burning etc.
While it may be a great sequencer, it would mean I would be paying that much on top of the Oasys price to compensate for the woeful state of the Oasys sequencer. So it looks like back to software & the computer for me.
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardware Sequencer - Whats good? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Mag66 wrote:
In the coming months, I am going to need to take a hardware sequencer........................... so I've been looking around and apart from the 8800 (which is really more money than I care to spend.. along with the fact I really don't need the sampling facilities though I love it's screen and mouse interface) I'm not sure what else I should be looking at. Nigel

Isn't that the WHOLE point of the MV???? The Interface? I mean, look at the OASYS Interface. The Control Surface, the HUGE 10" Screen, the Software that makes it what it is today and that GORGEOUS Sound! For a LOT of us it's the Interface and the Intuitiveness that makes the OASYS such a joy to use.

My issue with the 8800 and the price.. is simply that I will be paying for a whole stack of features I will probably never use, hence my question.. The 8800 itself is, I'm sure, a great bit of equipment.. but I really don't need a major part of what it offers (the sampling stuff) and so I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at.. that is available now or shortly, that would suit my real needs.

Really appreciate the feedback though.. and your points have been duly noted of course!

Cheers..

Nigel

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent some time with a friends MPC1K, you should definitely check out the MPC 1000 running either it's native OS or, even better, the custom one from here :

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

The triggering of drum samples is just one part of it's function, it's also a great little MIDI sequencer. You can have 32 MIDI tracks addressing the 16 channels on of it's pair of MIDI output ports, AT LEAST. You can have many more tracks (99 IIRC) driving those MIDI ports too or kicking the internal sampler. With that custom OS you get a whole bunch of other really useful features too. I was very impressed the little machine, it was far more impressive as a MIDI production environment than any of the workstation sequencers IMHO. The Oasys sequencer is very basic in comparison to the MPC.

Forget the electribes, they are not supposed to be a generic MIDI sequencing solution, they are no good for this application.

Just in case Sharpy doesn't pop up ... I am sure he would recommend the Yamaha QY-300 and it's relatives.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. I've also looked at the Motif XS sequencer ... it's better than the Korg sequencer in a number of ways IMHO, but also has the limitations of any workstation sequencer in terms of number of addressable tracks and channels. So I suspect that not really an option either. It would be a rather expensive way to get a MIDI sequencer Wink
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derm wrote:
I've looked around at whats available hardware wise and here in Europe the MV8800 is €2000, thats about $2700, ouch! I cant justify that, plus it does have a lot of stuff that I dont need, CD burning etc.
While it may be a great sequencer, it would mean I would be paying that much on top of the Oasys price to compensate for the woeful state of the Oasys sequencer. So it looks like back to software & the computer for me.

Yeah.. that's sort of where I am.. in my thinking too. I can get a 8800 for about $2000 here.. maybe less.. but even so, thats a lot of money being spent on stuff I want use.. and Daz's comments about the 1k and the custom OS have perked my interest.. which I will address shortly with him!

Thanks!

Nigel

Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an old Roland MC-80?? Shocked
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wait here yah go, I have a couple Alesis MMT-8's I'll sell cheap!! Those and a bag of chips will get you 16 tracks!! Shocked
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only downside of the MPC 1K is that it's 96 ppqn, although you're used to the Oasys 192 ppqn you're probably not going to find that so much of a problem ... LOL

It's funny 'cos when I was using it with the custom OS, all the things you guys were begging for in the Oasys were all right there in this little puppy. Cue List, multi-track patterns, piano roll and grid based drum editors, graphical controller editing, MTC sync, dedicated tracks for internal and external sequencing, proper sysex support with the ability to view the messages and even edit them, the ability to record to a different track in realtime without stopping the sequencer etc. etc. etc. All very useable. It tickles me to read comments like you can't do these things on the Oasys touch screen, when the MPC 1000 has the same size LCD as the Triton Le Wink

I started with the thought that it was just a toy for triggering sliced loops, but I was very wrong ... and ended up being massively impressed with it's abilities.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derm wrote:

Well your gonna wait a long time before you see something this worthy inside the Oasys,so the Price of the MV really is worth it IMO,take it from me this and the Oasys are the Dogs Bollocks,you couldn't get a better match all the power of the Oasys with the awesome sequencing abilities of the MV.

I bought the MV8800 I don't need the sampling or the CD burning facilities,but I sure as hell needed the sequencing but without sacrificing user friendlyness and options,and boy does this machine shine over anything I've ever used hardware sequencer wise,and it's the closest thing to a Software seq alternative your gonna get,bring in the VGA and mouse and you have yoru very own software interface with hardware stability

its sure the best hardware sequencer on the Market at the Moment if you ask me...leave anything else standing ,even the Akai MPC4000 flagship model is leagues behind

Take it from me I've used Korg sequencers for years and most of the main software platforms but I always prefered the Hardware stability,but at the same time never found a hardware seq that was as feature laiden and flexible as a software platform

,the MV has been the answer to all my prayers,I wanted something that worked in the same way a Software option would but that would also allow me to work in the same way in a hardware setup without having to sacrifice the ease and comfort of software,the MV is a cross over point between those two,beleive me if your not interested in the sampling facility,once you used The MV8800 for sequencing you'll forget it even had a sampler

The further cost may seem madness after paying for an oasys to have to add that extra Money to compensate for the lack of the O seq,but its a wise investment,but if this the price I have to pay to help increase my workflow for a few years before the Oasys see's any(if anything) major improvements that would come half as close as the MV8800,then I for one am happy to pay the extra Bucks...

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Having spent some time with a friends MPC1K, you should definitely check out the MPC 1000 running either it's native OS or, even better, the custom one from here :

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

The triggering of drum samples is just one part of it's function, it's also a great little MIDI sequencer. You can have 32 MIDI tracks addressing the 16 channels on of it's pair of MIDI output ports, AT LEAST. You can have many more tracks (99 IIRC) driving those MIDI ports too or kicking the internal sampler. With that custom OS you get a whole bunch of other really useful features too. I was very impressed the little machine, it was far more impressive as a MIDI production environment than any of the workstation sequencers IMHO. The Oasys sequencer is very basic in comparison to the MPC.

Interesting indeed. I didn't realise there were custom OS's available for the 1K.. Which one do you have? The free one or the $30 one?

Quote:

Forget the electribes, they are not supposed to be a generic MIDI sequencing solution, they are no good for this application.

Yes, I have come to pretty much the same conclusion after using one for a few days..

Quote:

Just in case Sharpy doesn't pop up ... I am sure he would recommend the Yamaha QY-300 and it's relatives.

I used to have a very cheap and easy to use Yammy sequencer.. a long time ago.. (back in the mid 80's, which was, for what I needed at the time, pretty good) but I cannot remember which one it was.. I should look at what is available from them now.. Thanks for the FYI..

Cheers...

Nigel

Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
p.s. I've also looked at the Motif XS sequencer ... it's better than the Korg sequencer in a number of ways IMHO, but also has the limitations of any workstation sequencer in terms of number of addressable tracks and channels. So I suspect that not really an option either. It would be a rather expensive way to get a MIDI sequencer Wink

Heh.. yes... though I must be honest and say I was thinking about picking up a cheap s/h Fantom for the same reason.. but I decided against the idea in the end.. for the reasons you gave above..

Nigel

Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerzwhile wrote:
No wait here yah go, I have a couple Alesis MMT-8's I'll sell cheap!! Those and a bag of chips will get you 16 tracks!! Shocked

LOL!

Nigel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: