Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Techniques for transitioning between unlike patterns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Techniques for transitioning between unlike patterns Reply with quote

I often need to string several patterns/songs together in order to cover a 30min or 1hr set.

My patterns are frequently different BPM and sonically they may be radically different from one another.

Does anyone have some "sure fire" tricks to accomplish this?

The psytrance pro's integrate their stuff so seamlessly.

What's the key to achieving this?

Must EVERYTHING have the same bass drum locked to a single BPM and then contort and mangle the rest?

I'm sure there must be others out there with this same question.
bcallison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means an expert in playing electronic music live... but I would fill the transition with a voice sample or other sound effect, perhaps keeping some drums but cutting them into very brief pulses and then letting it to right into the next beat.
itch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

record your tunes and mix them?

if you have a laptop what about writing your tunes to mp3 adn using a program like traktor wiht one of these (vestax vci-100) to control it

or burn them to cd. name a club that doesnt have a set of cd decks in it!
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is to have plural sequencers... if you only jam on you EMX u need something else to help transition..... like for example you ableton where you create something that logically would fit between songs kinda like an interlude so you can let go of one pattern and bring in a totally different one without the sound changing COMPLETELY.... that's part of the reason why emx and esx are nice... buut... i'd recommend learning ableton.. I'll tell you I do miss the EMX for it's bassline possibilities... it's a monster for that. I'd just sequence that from within ableton...

but I don't need to tell you that any more, it's juts a matter of time before you can learn anything.... to be honest in your particular position I'd not play at that gig because it puts too much stress on you in a sence that all you're doing is preparing for that instead of learning the machine...

I'd send you some patterns to show some cool s**t on it but there are two problems, one is I can't make notes like I do in ableton... (speaking of which did you read my sample tutorial I sent ya?)... and it'd be very hard for you to figure out what I'm doing because there's no display that shows you all the parameters.... on top of that you wouldn't be able to put them together with your patterns...
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itch. wrote:

if you have a laptop what about writing your tunes to mp3 adn using a program like traktor wiht one of these (vestax vci-100) to control it

Hey Itch.,
Cyberdude here.
The pics look way cool, but I don't wanna be a DJ.
I wanna be a real musician that plays a real instrument, like the Korg RK-100.
I need the feel of the instrument, to move around on stage and interact with the people.
No disrepect intended just different means of self-express.
Cyberdude
"Semper Psy"
itch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_courville wrote:
itch. wrote:

Hey Itch.,
Cyberdude here.
The pics look way cool, but I don't wanna be a DJ.
I wanna be a real musician that plays a real instrument, like the Korg RK-100.
I need the feel of the instrument, to move around on stage and interact with the people.
No disrepect intended just different means of self-express.
Cyberdude
"Semper Psy"

fair do's then. well, like some one else said, just get some big long wooshy atmospheric (ie. no beats/tempo) samples you can fire off as and when you need inbetweem tunes

and remeber, nearly every psytrance tune has some "cool" drug related sample from a film in it.

some bullshit like "a kazillion years ago the universe was created from a single drop of salvia mescaline LSD"

lol. Laughing
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes paul I'd give you bunches more respect if you played goa psy trance instead of regular psy trance....

also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to drug related sample in every song...

also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to djing.... this is an electribe forum, we're talking about performing live with electribes, why would we ever want to record the songs and mix them when the whole idea is to play our own music...

but anyways like I said paul, it's not really that you're transitioning between unlike patterns on only one electribe... it's really that you go from pattern to pattern, and unless you have one part that will extend from one pattern to the next, and you have "transitional" patterns, you'll need another sequencer....

don't worry about this yet, learn your toys, learn ableton, learn your synths, see what you can do and how you can connect them together, what works best for you....

I still can't decide weather I want to keep my electribes or sell em and get a nice audio interface and a hardware 8 track mixer... but I'm just not sure I'm still trying new things to see what works best...
itch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
Rolling Eyes paul I'd give you bunches more respect if you played goa psy trance instead of regular psy trance....

argh! iv just been ahving a mssive debate on another forum about annaly pidgeon holing every sub-genre of music! to me, there is good psytrance and bad psytrance. but yeah "isrealy pop music/infected mushroom/skazi/ bouncy bouncy/generic/release a new track every week/psytance" does fall into the bad catagory.

Ruso wrote:

also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to drug related sample in every song...

ha ha, i ws only joking, but you know its true Wink

Ruso wrote:

also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to djing.... this is an electribe forum, we're talking about performing live with electribes, why would we ever want to record the songs and mix them when the whole idea is to play our own music...

yeah, fair do's, stupid comment really!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: