Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Electribe users "real musicians"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra wrote:
rush sucks Smile

Cyberdude Productions proclaims, "Look, listen and behold a real musician, Geddy Lee of RUSH!"
This guys got more talent in his little pinky finger than most of us have in our entire bodies.
I grew up listening to this guy and his bandmates.
He inspired me to play synthesizers.
I love Digital Man, The Analog Kid and Chemistry off of the Signals album!
I think Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions were the first keyboard riffs I learned to play.
After studying electronics for 5 years at DeVry Institute of Technology in Dallas Texas I worked at several music stores performing modifications and repairs to synthesizers... KORG, YAMAHA, OBERHEIM, ROLAND, MOOG, SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS, ENSONIQ, ARP...
Yeah you could say I'm into keyboards.

Geddy Lee
[/url]

and his #1 fan Cyberdude!

www.cyberdudeproductions.com
schampuuh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you say, youre becoming a programmer instead a player. Because your indirect creating music.
inducejack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we are actually ghosts who can walk through walls.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a programmer and a musician.... programming allows my music rig to be more advanced and lets me use it how I want...

unless you mean that on the electribes you program it into the box... which is true however the idea of performing with electribe is playing a song out with onboard controlls and instead of having a loop you play it like it's a diverse masterpiece...

on top of that there's a whole different aspect to electribes.... you can turn power on, put it on an empty pattern and start playing.... that is what makes it a real instrument...
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
I'm a programmer and a musician.... programming allows my music rig to be more advanced and lets me use it how I want...

unless you mean that on the electribes you program it into the box... which is true however the idea of performing with electribe is playing a song out with onboard controlls and instead of having a loop you play it like it's a diverse masterpiece...

on top of that there's a whole different aspect to electribes.... you can turn power on, put it on an empty pattern and start playing.... that is what makes it a real instrument...

Thats the aspect of hardware that i love.No dicking around with sw,debugging and worrying about the machine falling over.There's something to said for a dedicated interface as well..the electribe feels like an instrument to me not in the classical sense but hell it's got me to a place i wanna be with my music.When a friend heard music coming from the electribe he said it sounded 'real'.

Whats the definition of an instrument?Something you can pick up and play?If thats the case then yeah..wait what was the question again Laughing

Just as real as any other musician Wink
schampuuh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you be one with your music when your constantly thinking ahead, making evering ready, are in an divided state of mind...
shadowbunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_courville wrote:
ultra wrote:
rush sucks Smile

Cyberdude Productions proclaims, "Look, listen and behold a real musician, Geddy Lee of RUSH!"
This guys got more talent in his little pinky finger than most of us have in our entire bodies.
I grew up listening to this guy and his bandmates.
He inspired me to play synthesizers.
I love Digital Man, The Analog Kid and Chemistry off of the Signals album!
I think Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions were the first keyboard riffs I learned to play.
After studying electronics for 5 years at DeVry Institute of Technology in Dallas Texas I worked at several music stores performing modifications and repairs to synthesizers... KORG, YAMAHA, OBERHEIM, ROLAND, MOOG, SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS, ENSONIQ, ARP...
Yeah you could say I'm into keyboards.

Geddy Lee
[/url]

and his #1 fan Cyberdude!

Music = Art. Art = Subjective.
Doesn't matter how much gear this guy has or what you or he thinks he can or can't do with it, if somebody thinks he sucks then that is their opinion. If you think they are great then that is your opinion. There can be no "proven fact" if someone's music sucks or not.

Anyways. I guess I could say to all guitarists "All you do is hammer strings" while they whine "All you do is press buttons", but hey whatever.

Instruments are instruments to me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are real musicians. We tell the instrument what to play by our interaction with it.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we are.

What kind of question is that?!

Cool
http://www.youtube.com/SirCliveSinclair

SpyMace
----------
http://www.myspace.com/cosmicjetrobot
Bonida

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - ALL RI EEEEEEEGHT!!!

Here's to you Brotha! From Xanadu - to Heart of the Sunrise - to C'est La Vie... I'm sure you have it covered! But if you want to add some mor eglory to your presentation - include MIDI sequenced lighting and get your popcorn ready! ( Or a nice Blunt ) Shocked
justmull

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i found software not conducive to being able to jam with other musos which is why i got an electribe. I used to play drums years ago and can still get up with top notch musos and lay down a groove at the drop of a hat. something i was was having trouble doing using a computer since i didn't use it every day and didn't know what state the software was in (software is very high maintenance i've found). Now sure the electribe sound quality isn't much chop but at least I can just jump on it and get a groove going rally quick with other musos - that's what I feel is musicianship is and yes there was a while there where my computer could do that as well - but now i don't have so much time the electribes are great
jerseykorg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have to play live to be a "musician". I think a musician is someone who knows music theory, has a trained ear, can read music, probably should play some instrument at least decently, but actually performing live doesn't make a great musician. Someone like Giorgio Moroder did not perform anything live after he got success but he is certainly a giant musician. Also what is the point of making electronic music live? That's like Beethoven trying to compose a symphony "live". Perfect it in a studio and let the DJ's worry about "performing" it.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseykorg wrote:
I don't think you have to play live to be a "musician". I think a musician is someone who knows music theory, has a trained ear, can read music, probably should play some instrument at least decently, but actually performing live doesn't make a great musician. Someone like Giorgio Moroder did not perform anything live after he got success but he is certainly a giant musician. Also what is the point of making electronic music live? That's like Beethoven trying to compose a symphony "live". Perfect it in a studio and let the DJ's worry about "performing" it.

I disagree. I consider myself a pretty fair musician, I haven't played a live gig in a long time, never learned music theory and don't care about it, can only play a bongo and a midi keyboard.

It's pretty easy to define a musician. A musician is a person who makes music, be it banging coconuts together or rocking out on a violin or a circuit bent baby toy. If you can make something pleasant for the ears you are a musician.

http://myspace.com/audioruso
shabudua

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you create music, you're a real musician...doesn't matter if it's in the studio or onstage, or whether you use a guitar, an electribe, or a pencil and staff paper. The line gets hazy as to where "musician" stops and "someone involved in the production of music" begins. Keep on going and eventually you hit "fake musician." But not for a good long ways.

I wonder if people in the movie business ask themselves, "Am I a REAL filmmaker? I'm just a Key Grip/costume designer/props manager..."
chunky_lover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah i think playing these electribes is like playing an instrument, in the band i play in i do some percussion, singing, keys and use an electribe. And the most important one is probably the electribe! www.myspace.com/asleepbeneathvolcanoes if you wanna hear the fruits of our labour...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: