Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So who's afraid of a little abstraction?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: So who's afraid of a little abstraction? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the Korg EMX/ESX is capable of creating music similiar to www.psyradio.org ?

I am very much interested in this style.

Thank-you in advance.

Paul Courville is a.k.a. Cyberdude
www.cyberdudeproductions.com
itch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the esx maybe. but not by itself

iv been listening to psytrance from about 5 years now (im listening to some now, check it out) and its waaaaaaay to deep, complex, EQd and layerd to create on one electribe alone. even with a triton LE. iv tried (admitedly only for a few hours and wiht factory presets) to recrete just a just a simple drum/bass "wobble" that is signature to psytrance its very very hard, if not impossible.

wiht the esx im sure it would be a peice of piss to get the drums down.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make psy trance on the emx and the esx....

you can make anything on anything, the only challenge with the tribes is ambient cause they lack pad powers Wink
paul_courville

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
you can make psy trance on the emx and the esx....

you can make anything on anything, the only challenge with the tribes is ambient cause they lack pad powers Wink

Then my Korg Triton Le should be able to provide the missing "pad power".

setup: EMX, ESX (very soon), Triton Le and Ableton Live. I would also like to add the Radias for Christmas.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul you're overkilling... I bought a ton of gear since I started and I could probably buy a used beemer for all that I bought.... but in the end I've narrowed it down to one very nice midi controller (korg microKontrol) a kp2 for midi only, and a trigger finger...... alltogether under 500 bucks

of course then there's software....

the point is, don't rush into getting tons of gear, learn every piece of gear to it's limit until you get the next one.
paul_courville

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
paul you're overkilling... I bought a ton of gear since I started and I could probably buy a used beemer for all that I bought.... but in the end I've narrowed it down to one very nice midi controller (korg microKontrol) a kp2 for midi only, and a trigger finger...... alltogether under 500 bucks

of course then there's software....

the point is, don't rush into getting tons of gear, learn every piece of gear to it's limit until you get the next one.

Ruso, if we are to work together here are some basic facts to consider.

1. I am a dinosaur, I'll be 47years old Oct 1st.

2. In 1983, after 5 years of studying electronic engineering technology at DeVry University (then DeVry Institute of Technology) I began searching for a career.

3. My first job was working as a electronic technician repairing and modifying synthesizers, drum machines, sequencers etc. for the Lightning Music and Sound in Dallas, Texas.

4. I did this for about 3 years.

5. At that time, I had a ton of technical background but zero music theory.

6. I had not even ever played a musical instrument.

7. But I loved the synthesizer sounds used by a Canadian hard rock band very popular during that era i.e. RUSH.

8. The onstage multi-tasking of Geddy Lee inspired me to learn to play.

9. Because I am strong technically and relatively weak musically I have always played the "overkill" card; buying massive amounts of gear to overcome my poor musicianship.

10. I work 2 jobs in San Diego and have a very health income.

11. I made it very clear to my girlfreind I will buy all the music equipment I want. I am not shy about using my hard earned money to buy the toys that bring me pleasure.

12. Electronic music is very important to me.

13. Not one to wallow in self-pity because of my weak chops, I have worked hard and made significant improvements in my playing.

14. I am extremely willing to learning everything possible about the EMX.

15. In my 3 decades of f*ck*ng around with electronic music gear, the EMX is easily my favorite so far. The Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Korg Triton Le would also be on that list.

So in summary, I agree in what you say, am grateful for forums like this, and am willing to learn if you are willing to teach.

www.cyberdudeproductions.com
www.broadjam.com/cyberdude

P.S. In an earlier post you made a comment suggesting I quit pursuing fame.
It's probably important for you to know that while I work in San Diego, I play music in Tijuana and Baja California.
Here in this culture your ability to make money as an artist is closely tied to your ability to attract and entertain a crowd.
This "drawing power" comes from name recognition.
I try "with humility" to plaster my face and name everywhere down here in Mexico and on the Internet for that matter.
I spend a fair chunk of change on shameless self-promotion.
It's necessary, and quite frankly... I kinda of enjoy it. lol
Take care and thank-you very much for your knowledgable input.
paul_courville

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itch. wrote:
just a simple drum/bass "wobble" that is signature to psytrance its very very hard, if not impossible.

Can someone sample that "wobble" sound and post it or email it to me as a wav file?

Thank-you in advance.
Paul Courville is a.k.a. Cyberdude
itch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_courville wrote:

I try "with humility" to plaster my face and name everywhere on the Internet

no s**t shurlock!
reddone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: emx1 is THE FORCE Reply with quote

your EMX's will do ALOT more than initially seems possible if u just use your brain a little . It is great at pads , if you use it right . It'll do loads of bassy wobbles , belches , tears and stabs . The drums are only a little limited as you can feed them thru the synth section and filter by chosing the drums in synth/pcm mode , this will give LOADS of possibilities.
I have an ES1 , roland SH-32 , a P.C with plenty of sounds and a excellent controller keybd ..... but the "MX" see's me through 95% of my production ( no mixer , no external fx ) .

P.S EVERYONE !!! You know them plastic crappy knobs ??? well , they seriously hamper your tweakability due to them being so small an redundant of grip , not to mention that they spoil the finish on the mx .
I robbed some black rubber knobs off my DBX266 compressor and put them on my emx1 , along with some i get from a dj repair store , and they complete the mx in style and tweakability due to the rubber grip and size . Do yourself a favour and GET NEW KNOBS , it really is worth it .
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that paul, I've been making music for two years and have mastered all my hardware and software... f*ck music theory, stay away from it and f*ck with it as much as you can and the result will be more rewarding...

Music theory is for orchestral classical... In electronic music such basic concepts as chords aren't even used very widely.... in some sub genres THE best sounding basslines are single NOTED....

You don't need background in music to make music.. you don't need others to learn music, you don't need to follow other music to make good music... in fact it's opposite originality is key to success..
paul_courville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
I realise that paul, I've been making music for two years and have mastered all my hardware and software... f*ck music theory, stay away from it and f*ck with it as much as you can and the result will be more rewarding...

Music theory is for orchestral classical... In electronic music such basic concepts as chords aren't even used very widely.... in some sub genres THE best sounding basslines are single NOTED....

You don't need background in music to make music.. you don't need others to learn music, you don't need to follow other music to make good music... in fact it's opposite originality is key to success..

Wow, subconscienciously I had believed this but never really heard it expressed in public.

I mean, it makes sense.

A lot of the world's greatest musicians never had formal music training.

And with today's modern technology, success in creating cool electronic music seems more closely tied to intense experimentation.
paul_courville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: emx1 is THE FORCE Reply with quote

reddone3 wrote:
your EMX's will do ALOT more than initially seems possible if u just use your brain a little . It is great at pads , if you use it right . It'll do loads of bassy wobbles , belches , tears and stabs . The drums are only a little limited as you can feed them thru the synth section and filter by chosing the drums in synth/pcm mode , this will give LOADS of possibilities.
I have an ES1 , roland SH-32 , a P.C with plenty of sounds and a excellent controller keybd ..... but the "MX" see's me through 95% of my production ( no mixer , no external fx ) .

P.S EVERYONE !!! You know them plastic crappy knobs ??? well , they seriously hamper your tweakability due to them being so small an redundant of grip , not to mention that they spoil the finish on the mx .
I robbed some black rubber knobs off my DBX266 compressor and put them on my emx1 , along with some i get from a dj repair store , and they complete the mx in style and tweakability due to the rubber grip and size . Do yourself a favour and GET NEW KNOBS , it really is worth it .

Hey reddone3,
Sounds like a great idea!
Can you give us a vendor and part number for the new knobs?
Cyberdude
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul, the knobs on the emx are either rotary encoders or potentiometers which are all the same, standart size... you should be able to find them anywhere for you to choose from..... the one that will give you hell is the pattern changing one because it's a shorter I believe 1/2 inch..

as for service manuals and such I doubt you'll find em freely avalable.... are you in the US? Cause I'd drop by a korg service center and see if they'd let you look at it or maybe scan/photocopy it......
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
paul, the knobs on the emx are either rotary encoders or potentiometers which are all the same, standart size... you should be able to find them anywhere for you to choose from..... the one that will give you hell is the pattern changing one because it's a shorter I believe 1/2 inch..

as for service manuals and such I doubt you'll find em freely avalable.... are you in the US? Cause I'd drop by a korg service center and see if they'd let you look at it or maybe scan/photocopy it......

Good idea... I'll try Guitar Center in San Diego.
Where are you?
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle, WA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: