Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faster usb2 load ... usbstick vs harddrive ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanjai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Faster usb2 load ... usbstick vs harddrive ??? Reply with quote

Hi Korg'is,

I am trying to find out what has a faster load with the usb2 connector a usbstick or a harddisk?

The ubs2 stream is according to wikipedia USB 2.0: 480 Mbit/s (high speed) and a read/write of a usbstick is somewhere 15 Mb/s isn't this a bottleneck !

Does someone have experience with both ???

Thanks,
Sanjai
sound4sina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the USB stream is 480 Mbit/s in high speed, you can't reach this level with the USB stick.
I know Corsair USB sticks are very fast (up to 28 Mbit), but the Apacer 1GB HT203 Dual Channel is probably the fastest around (30 Mbit/s read speed and 18 Mbit/s write speed).

The USB-stick circuit have a certain amount of possible "write/re-write"'s so it is not as durable as a HD, but regarding the USB vs HD, I am not sure whether USB or HD is faster while being in-action on the PA800.
Generally, a HD will transfer data in different speeds depending on which part of the disc is written and read; ranging from about 40 to +100 Mbit/s.
paulgee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all but the slowest USB sticks I would expect the bottleneck to be in the PA800. Generally most keyboards use outdated hardware since their designs take a fair a while to get to market.

I do not know this for a fact, but it is quite likely that even the internal harddisk actually just uses another USB port. Certainly internally the connector to the harddisk is not supporting IDE because there are not enough pins. So I expect the harddsik kit includes an IDE to USB convertor, much like if you buy an external interface box for a hard drive.

Certainly this is the way I would do it. Why bother supporting multiple interfaces when everything can be supported with a single interface standard.

If you look inside the PA800 the actual electronics is a very small part of the unit, no bigger than a small paperback book (well there is another slightly larger block but that is just the audio amps and power supplies - which you cannot shrink much due to heat dissipation etc.) . These day's you are not buying much hardware, but you are buying a lot of software.

Best Regards
Paul.
marlo74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the PA800 takes a very long time to load a full set. Loading from the USB vs loading from the HD will not make a big differance. The majority of the delay is not due to the USB or the HD speed it is due to the proccessing happening inside the PA800. I think that this is somthing Korg has to improve. It takes me at least 15 minutes to load my set from a USB stick.
Sanjai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Well i payed 2000 euro at least i expect an up to date processor !
This is the world of core two or quad core ... so what's in it anyway ?

Regards,
Sanjai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: