Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! new PC.. new audio problems...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: HELP! new PC.. new audio problems... Reply with quote

I recently bought new Motherboard/CPU Combo: AMD Dualcore 2.00 Ghz X2, 3800+....

First time i reinstalled windows everything was ok in software recording,
than i had to reinstall it again, I installed cubase again and few soft synths....
And when I record i can feel that sometimes the system get stuck a little, sometimes even a buzz and slight freezes that messes up the timimng...

What can be wrong?

I'm using same Emu1212m Audio card from my old PC...
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Windows XP or Vista?
Audio driver are installed correctly?

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just formated HD, reinstalled windows again, (Win XP pro SP2)

btw, it's definatly not Audio drivers because the cursor was getting stuck even without any Music Software open...
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

%*#!*&% it's here again!!!!!!!

I hate computers!!!!!

Wat's wrong?

Is some program is causing to CPU to overflow or something?
It's dual core AMD!!
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you set all the options in Windows that Steinberg recommend. For example setting the OS to be optimized for Background Services rather than Foreground Applications ?

Lots of tips here :

http://www.musicxp.net/

Daz.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Have you set all the options in Windows that Steinberg recommend. For example setting the OS to be optimized for Background Services rather than Foreground Applications ?

Lots of tips here :

http://www.musicxp.net/

Daz.

Did that a while time ago..

i guess maybe this new motherboard has chipsets not recommended for music....
Marc
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest going to the Steinberg website or any website where users discuss the configuration of CuBase and see a) if others have the same issues and perhaps a workaround and b) make sure the combination of components you have are vendor-approved. I've been through similar "issues" with Pro Tools.

You also need to do some testing on other applications and see if they too are affected, as well as take a look at what processes are running when you load up CuBase.

And finally (for now) if you haven't been to the musicxp site in a while it would be worth visiting as new ideas are discovered and shared all the time. Most people would be shocked as to how much crap Windows loads up at startup that nobody really needs or uses.

I hope this helps,

Marc
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just discovered it's not just in Cubase, sometimes when i'm installing something and the music is playing, once in a while that buzz comes in....
Marc
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an audio driver, board, or related issue. Check your drivers, settings, and what other applications are using the same resources. See if you can play something non-CuBase through your PC speakers. Make sure the sound levels are set so they don't clip. And try and figure out what else is running and maybe start disabling things until you find the offending program.

Marc
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I don't know how you guys can use a Windows PC for making music. Yeah, I know you've taught me that the Intel Macs have the same innards as a Windows PC, but the Mac OS makes setting up any music software I've installed a breeze, and it always just work first time every time.

The new iMac line hits a pretty good price point, I think, and even if you're paying a bit more for a mac at the outset, it pays for itself so many times over in ease of use, stability - it's always a positive experience. I have a couple of Windows laptops in the studio, and I absolutely abhor them. They are soooooooopo frustrating for me to work with, and that's not restricted to music apps either. For me the Windows-based work sequence usually goes something like this:

Fire up Windows-based PC. Wait - and wait and wait and wait. Get glass of juice. Return to PC. Wait. Ready. Do a malware scan. Find some new malware (almost daily, guaranteed). Try to get rid of malware, or at least sequester it in a malware chest on the drive. Boot up chosen program. Wait. Run (assuming you've got drivers etc all worked out). Proceed with work. Crash (often fatal). Pull DC power adapter, remove battery. Replace. Fire up Windows-based PC.... loop above procedure. Swear a lot throughout entire procedure.

On the Mac: Fire up Mac OS-based PC. Wait 20-30 seconds. Boot up chosen program and proceed with work. Shut down when finished. Smile. Smile

Yeah, I know there are a bazillion apps that only run under Windows (which of course can run on a Mac, but I sure don'tneed 'em)

End of rant. We now return to the KF Windows Users Support Team.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm still tempted to cross over to the Mac side, I maintain a studio PC dedicated for that only - no internet, right. I've stripped all the s**t I possibly could from it and did the "Optimize XP for Music" thing. It's loaded with all kinds of music applications, VSTs, and all my files and it takes only 25 sec to boot up and be ready to roll.

Having said that, though, there is a good chance my next studio computer will be a Mac.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I had enough money, I would definatly by a mac, but this pc cost me way over $1,000....
So i have to deal with the Windows for about 5 years than maybe a Mac....

But at this point i gotta make this work..........
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i uninstalled Emu drivers and Emu patchmix, and installed "default" motherboard realtek drivers and Asio4all...

the problem is still here
Marc
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with EJ2. My music laptop is stripped of everything but music-specific stuff. The bootup and shutdown in XP are substantially faster then any other windows environment that I've used (well since DOS).

I only connect to the Internet to deal with SW setup/registration, SW updates, and related tasks when the manufacturer requires it -- otherwise I use a thumb drive to transfer data. This allows me to run an environment that doesn't have the overhead of other applications, in particular anti-virus and spyware apps which kill performance.

It is unbelievable how many applets can be disabled that are completely unnecessary for a music environment. Thanks Bill!

Marc
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mobo do you have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: