Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on My OASYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
Maybe the OASYS just needs better heat dissipation...

This statement implies there is problem, which is not true.

Any manufactured product will have some units that require repair. The OASYS is no exception, but all in all, the OASYS is very well built.
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it's not well built, Martin. Don't tell me what I'm implying. Ask me for clarification if you like but don't make assumptions you can't back up. All I was saying is that excess heat was responsible for my ESQ problems. Excess heat can cause problems in other instruments as well. When I look closely at the OASYS, or course I can see that it's well-built... I'm not so sure that I can see that it's sufficiently cooled.

BTW did you miss the word "maybe"?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
All I was saying is that excess heat was responsible for my ESQ problems.

Sorry Ricky but "Excess heat in my ESQ" and "OASYS heat dissipation" are not the same. If you re-read this entire thread you are the only person who makes any reference to "OASYS heat dissipation".

ricky recordo wrote:
Maybe the OASYS just needs better heat dissipation
The OASYS rad update would ideally be free of charge as well

ricky recordo wrote:
I'm not so sure that I can see that it's sufficiently cooled.

Who cares what you think about the OASYS cooling design? Cooling in the OASYS was NOT mentioned at all in this thread until you brought it up.

I responded to your innuendo (i.e. the OASYS has a cooling problem) with facts -- Korg has not encounted significant problems with cooling problems in the OASYS.

Just FYI -- The OASYS has a good design for heat dissipation -- there is an internal CPU fan and both ends of the keyboard have open mesh to allow air to flow across the motherboard. These products ARE designed by people with actual engineering degrees you know.

ricky recordo wrote:

Suggesting "better heat dissipation" and suggesting Korg "provide this update for free" absolutely implies the current product has a problem.

You can attempt to deny it all you want, but you clearly continue to give subtle jabs at the OASYS.
Mag66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:
Hey another local user how about that! Thanks for the words Nigel. Beer

Yes Smile I PM'd you a while back when I saw you were local to me but never heard back from you.. (Gilbert, AZ)

PM me if you would like to chat some time..

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Mag66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
I didn't say it's not well built, Martin. Don't tell me what I'm implying. Ask me for clarification if you like but don't make assumptions you can't back up. All I was saying is that excess heat was responsible for my ESQ problems. Excess heat can cause problems in other instruments as well. When I look closely at the OASYS, or course I can see that it's well-built... I'm not so sure that I can see that it's sufficiently cooled.

Given that my O has worked flawlessly, without any kind of 'heat dissipation' issue.. in the heat of the AZ summer.. I don't believe that there is any kind of heat issue.. imagined or otherwise..

Maybe you have an issue with the Oasys in general.. because you don't own one?

Maybe you can't afford to purchase an Oasys so you have an issue with those that can?

Maybe this is why most of your posts have a negative implication to them in regards to the Oasys?

Of course I am not implying anything because I am using the word 'maybe'..........

Very Happy

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mag66 Wrote

Maybe you have an issue with the Oasys in general.. because you don't own one?

Maybe you can't afford to purchase an Oasys so you have an issue with those that can?

Maybe this is why most of your posts have a negative implication to them in regards to the Oasys?

Of course I am not implying anything because I am using the word 'maybe'..........

Very Happy

Nigel

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, well it was a thought

uh yeah, I can afford an oasys, but yadayadayada
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha - Wow Ricky, thats the first time you have capitulated to Martin lol. Well done Martin lol. Three chears to Martin everyone lol

ahh, have a laugh - thanks gents for the laugh
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin rules! Very Happy
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mag66 wrote:
Maybe you can't afford to purchase an Oasys so you have an issue with those that canl

My studio expenditures over the last two years have exceeded the cost of the OASYS 88, but in my opinion it has been money rather well-allocated.

It's amazing how easily a couple of new well-fed Macs and a few dedicated synths can make "OASYS envy" a non-issue Very Happy

Maybe Martin's most miraculous and marvelous powers of assumption are beginning to rub off on the Magster Wink

(Yeah, I guess I assumed that heat could have be an issue with the OASYS - my powers of assumption can be mighty at times as well. Maybe I was w.w.ww.wwwww.rrr..o...n...g... dammit, would one of you guys pass the kryptonite, please?)
MarkF786

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any evidence of "heat dissipation" issues with the Oasys or any other design flaw. The only thing that makes it potentially have a shorter life span is it's by nature a PC.

I work as an engineer in one of the world's largest service providers and we have 100,000+ network devices, some of which I performed the product evalution for; some of them are PC-based appliances and some of them are "solid state". The solid state devices generally have less failures, probably because they have no moving parts, and use low power chips and passive heat dissipation.

Of course there's no way of getting around the fact that the Oasys is a PC; I can't imagine any manufacturer making anything near as power in solid state. I'm not criticising Korg about this. The only thing I'd offer constructive criticism on is that Korg should have used an industrial motherboard with a long MTBF rather than their consumer-level choice. I haven't looked much at the power supply and fan, but possibly the same criticism would apply there as well.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:

Yeah, I guess I assumed that heat could be an issue with the OASYS

Maybe I was w.w.ww.wwwww.rrr..o...n...g...

Note the strategic use of the word "MAYBE" preceeding the "I was wrong!".

Ricky is a crafty devil. Twisted Evil
MarkF786

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Martin and Ricky fight it out in a cage match. "Fanboy vs. Troll" Wink

Just kidding. I love you guys.
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
ricky recordo wrote:

Yeah, I guess I assumed that heat could be an issue with the OASYS

Maybe I was w.w.ww.wwwww.rrr..o...n...g...

Note the strategic use of the word "MAYBE" preceeding the "I was wrong!".

Ricky is a crafty devil. Twisted Evil

Hey Martin,

Where did I say "I was wrong!"? You must be unfamiliar with this very common abbreviation: "w.w.ww.wwwww.rrr..o...n...g..."

Everyone knows it means "write. write. weally write. wow what wisdom was wevealed. ricky recordo rocks..obviously...naturally...gnarly..." I don't know who came up with it. His grammar, syntax and punctuation obviously suck the big one, he sure can't spell and doesn't grok the homonym thing (and I suspect that he may have a slight speech impediment as well) but IMHO he's gotta be one cool dude. Twisted Evil

I don't understand how it could be misread! Wink
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkF786 wrote:
I'd like to see Martin and Ricky fight it out in a cage match. "Fanboy vs. Troll" Wink

Just kidding. I love you guys.

yeah... hehehe... here ya go then...

“GOOD EVENING KEYBOARD MANIACS AROUND THE WORLD!!!” roars the sartorially resplendant ring announcer - fully decked out in a spectacular glittering keyboard-motif-sporting (hehehe) sequined black and white tuxedo - “AND WELCOME TO KEYBOARDMANIA!!!MANIA...ANIA...NIA...IA...A!!!!!

The home crowd goes wild.

The "Theme from Rocky" begins to blast through the P.A.

“IN THIS CORNER” continues the announcer, “I GIVE YOU... THE MAN WHO KEEPS OASYS IN YOUR FACES!!!! THE DEFENDER ON A BENDER!!! THE ONE!!! THE ONLY!!! EVERYBODY... GIVE IT UP FOOOOOORRRRRRR... FFFFAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNBBOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

The home crowd goes berserk.

The "Theme from Ricky" begins to crackle through the P.A. in its full and glorious 8-bit mic'd Casio SK-1 monophonic splendour.

Over the SK-1's improbably loud, eardrum-splitting din, the announcer continues “AND IN THIS CORNER, THE DEVIL ON THE LEVEL!!! THE ANTI-KORG BORG!!! LOOK OUT FOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR.... THE TRRRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

The crowd goes deathly silent, except for one small voice.

“Troll, you're mean.”

It's Fanboy. He's sitting behind what is obviously an impossibly immense horizontal glowing black monolith.

“I beg your pardon?' queries Troll from behind what appears to be a similarly shaped but relatively small horizontal glowing white minilith.

“You're mean. You say bad things about my OASYS, and I don't like it” squeaks Fanboy.

“I don't like it either, Fanboy... so what's the problem?” asks Troll with childlike innocence.

“Don't do that!” says Fanboy, a glint of agitation beginning to form on the edge of his voice.

“Do what?”

“You know what!”

“What what?”

“Stop it!!! You're still doing it!!!”

“Doing what?”

The crowd sits staring in stunned silence.

“That!!!” growls Fanboy. “You... are... TROLLING!”

“Am not.”

“ARE SO!!!”

“No I'm not. It's all in your head” says Troll. “Listen mate, I didn't come here for this. I believe that I shall take my leave. Good evening to you, sir”.

As Troll turns away from Fanboy, the crowd stirs uncomfortably, quietly at first, then begins to issue a few sporadic hisses and boos. Troll issues back the “you're number one” gesture to the crowd and turns toward the dressing room. Suddenly, just as he's about to climb over the ropes, a menacing black shadow of impossibly immense proportions forms over Troll's unsuspecting cranium. A split second later, an impossibly immense vertical glowing black monolith comes crashing down on Troll.

A split second later, Troll is down on the concrete.

The home crowd goes insane.

As Fanboy triumphantly struts around the ring, the roaring crowd is oblivious to Troll's single inconspicous twitch. He'll be back.

Yes, he'll be back...

...for the rematch. Very Happy

:EDITED: once for dramatic effect

Last edited by ricky recordo on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: