Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't wait: Jen got me a camera 4 b'day - don't know which 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Photography and Graphic Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Can't wait: Jen got me a camera 4 b'day - don't know which 1 Reply with quote

I can't wait...

I am traveling to New York on Tuesday for a few days - which is my birthday - and Jen knows I have been looking for a Digital SLR recently. She let the cat out of the bag the other day by telling me she got me one... but hasn't told me which one.

The clues she has given me are that it's a black body, and is a 10 MegaPix camera Smile

She's also said that as I am traveling out on Tuesday - she has officially brought my b'day forward to tomorrow - wohoooooo. So tomorrow morning is when I get my hands on my spanking new Digital SLR.

I really want to get back into Photography again - I used to have an Olympus OM10 - remember those... manual etc... and I loved all this Macro stuff - so I may be posting here for some advice along the route.

I appreciate it will depend on the model and make, but are there universal digital SLR lenses available now? How about Macro lenses or adapters? What should I look for as a learner?

All advice appreciated.
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, nobody interested eh !! Smile

Anyway - Jen got me an Olympus e400, and I love it. I am busy reading the manuals as we speak, and I need some advice from you here.

Can anyone recommend a good forum to join regarding photography. I'd love an unbiased viewpoint as far as cameras go, and I am particularly interested in learning all about the art especially something I really want to get stuck into - close-up and macro photography.

So... anyone able to offer advice...?
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may.... while Jen certainly had the best intentions.... can I suggest, knowing the entire Olympus product line inside out.... change that model, if possible bring it back to the dealer and exchange for a wee bit difference.

Get the E-510!

Another thing, talk to me about lenses, what have you got?
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bear

Is the E400 not particularly good then...? I'd feel pretty bad about taking it back to be honest.

As for lenses, I only have the one that came with the camera - the 17.5-45mm lens.

You have me a tad worried...?
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry did not mean to worry you, but it is true, yes, I think this is the worst camera Olympus has come up with. As for closeups, If you want to shoot macro you should at least get yourself this glas:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/lens/dea/products/lens/50_20M/index.asp

The kit lense you have is not suitable for macro and also a very slow lense with F 3.5-5.6.

The 510 is a much better camera for a great many reasons and would give you much more pleasant results out of the box than that flimpsy E400. It also has a built in image stablizer, and and and and and....

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_E-510_Specifications.htm

The E400 does not have IS, the USB is 1.1 and the image quality of the E510 is a completly different class at a very reasonable upgrade price.

Did not mean to worry you, it is just the best advise I can give you.
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, well thanks for the advice Bear - much appreciated. Not worried anymore... Smile
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe Wink

Get the 510, you won't crie!
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't wait: Jen got me a camera 4 b'day - don't know whi Reply with quote

themusicman2001 wrote:
I used to have an Olympus OM10 - remember those... manual etc...

I've kept my OM-4Ti (with special lizard skin leatherette). Still unsurpassed for large prints, unless you happen to shoot in 6x6 or 6x7. But with those Zuiko lenses like the 100/F2, this camera is one of the best ever.

Bear is right, upgrade to the 510. I'm sure your wife will understand, specially if she is not very versed in what's available out there.
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, against your better judgment, I stuck with the e400 and to be totally honest, I don't regret it at all. I have had a fantastic weekend of taking pics, testing settings, and purchasing lenses et al.

I now have:

Olympus e400
Olympus Digital Zuiko 17.5 - 45 mm zoom
Olympus Digital Zuiko 40 - 150 mm zoom
Olumpus Digital Zuiko 35mm Macro lens

I bought some black back-drop material for some experimental portrait shots I wanted to take, and despite still having loads to learn, I think they came out sort of OK.

Here's one of my daughter Heather

... and one of some bug taken with the Macro lens..!

Remember, photography is still very new to me, especially digital SLR stuff and I am happy with these shots. Any comments and critique very much welcomed though.
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I did it... I caved in... I got myself an Olympus E-510 - and I am one happy bunny.

Not had chance to use it too much though as I have been in SA on business. Here's a few I took with the E400 when there though;

My close up croc shot...

Nice Albino lion up close and personal;

Don't come near me when I am eating Smile

More if you want them...Smile
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Kewl John. I am glad you decided for the 510, she is a totally different class in deed.

Another tip, get yourself Adobe Lightroom 1.1, the RAW processor is even better than C1 from phase one or Bridge camera Raw.

Lightroom is top notch!

If you are on Mac, Aperture would be my choice.

Now if Olympsu would finally come out with the camera I am waiting on since 6 month already.... tap tap tap Wink
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing_bear wrote:
Very Kewl John. I am glad you decided for the 510, she is a totally different class in deed.

Another tip, get yourself Adobe Lightroom 1.1, the RAW processor is even better than C1 from phase one or Bridge camera Raw.

Lightroom is top notch!

If you are on Mac, Aperture would be my choice.

Now if Olympsu would finally come out with the camera I am waiting on since 6 month already.... tap tap tap Wink

Hey LB

Thanks for the comments. I am very happy with the E-510, very happy indeed, in fact I am also keeping the E-400 as a backup/second body.

I have both Lightroom and Aperture (am on a Mac), but I find Lightroom easier to use, and better on the eye... perhaps I haven't given Aperture enough of a chance yet, we'll see.

Here's a few more images I took but this time with the E-510. When I was in Johannesburg Jen got two new King Charles Cavalier pups - we lost our beloved Jessie 4 months ago and always knew we'd get another one after our holidays but I had no idea she planned on getting two. Well... she didn't plan on this per sé, moreover she couldn't resist the look of the second pup when she went to the breeder in Pembroke with the kids and family in tow!

Enjoy!
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I like it. They all showsa magenta cast on the white background and the highlights are blown out, hence you loose details in the fur. I would also pay attention to not cut of the legs. You might be able to recover the highlights in photoshop.

The third one is the best, the crop might be a bit too close for my liking.

How did you shoot? Are they Jpegs out of the cam or RAW and post processing?

I just saw pictures of the E3 on a korean site. Hopefully they manage to bring her out this year. Can't wait!
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LB

I used the 'Highlight' mode on the E-510 so was expecting the slight emphasis on lights and the burn-out.

I shot in RAW and used Lightroom to post process, using PhotoShop for the borders.

I am really very new to photography, let alone digital photography, and fully accept that I still have a lot to learn. I did try not to cut out legs etc, but obviously missed hehehehe...

You have an expert 'eye' as I wouldn't have spotted the magenta in the background. How do I remove that within LR? Can I...?
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

I heard that there might be a slight problem with the RAW settings, if this is true it will be adressed in a firmware update.

Check on this subject magenta cast and Oly 510, you should find some more info.

And btw. you are doing just fine John! I am no expert either, same boat like you thats the beauty of photography you can lear a lifetime, no end in sight. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Photography and Graphic Design All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: