Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIPS ON DRUMNBASS PATTERNS!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: TIPS ON DRUMNBASS PATTERNS!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I've had the EMX quite some time, and i adore it.

people may roll their eyes but I got into buying the electribe after listening to enter shikari like 2 years ago. Now i've got it i find it to be an amazing piece of equipment.

theres still a few things id like to crack. i love the patterns that rou from enter shikari writes. listening to www.myspace.com/routron5000 , i have no idea how he writes such cool drum patterns with all the rolls etc...

has anyone got any tutorial vids on youtube etc... giving tips on writing patterns like these?

please help! my drum n bass sucks!

Confused
nemmo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: you don't program the drum n bass beats. You have to sample them. That's all.
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how do you mean sample?

what would i need to do to sample these patterns?

i didnt a manual with the electribe cus i got it from ebay, so im learning everything by experimenting.
TrrP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouchingsyntha wrote:
well how do you mean sample?

what would i need to do to sample these patterns?

i didnt a manual with the electribe cus i got it from ebay, so im learning everything by experimenting.

Hi Syntha,

To set things straight. You cannot sample with the EMX. Nemmo has given you wrong information on what to do here.

My advice would be to:

1. Start with reading the EMX Easystart, Quickstart and finally the manual:

http://www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/EMX1_EasyStart.pdf
http://www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/EMX1Quick_E1.pdf
http://www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/EMX1_Manual.pdf

2. Restore the factory patterns (how to do this is stated in the manual)

3. Look up some Drum n' Bass patterns in the EMX (there are some cool DnB patterns in the factory presets, best presets i've heard for DnB).
+Tweak them to see/listen to what the knobs buttons do.
+Figure out how the are made up and try to make some youself using a blank pattern starting from scratch.(this is the best way to learn). Blank patterns start from D-32 or something like that.

4. Experiment, practice, and tweak away. (you could actually start by doing this without reading the manual, thats what I always do)

By the way: the MySpace you referred to: that song SHIKARIALWAYSBITESB started with a preset straight out the microKorg. Easy to hear.

GOOD LUCK Wink
nemmo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I meant that if you want to go for the real thing, you have to sample the amen break. Everything else just doesn't sound like the real thing.
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thanks so much!

will do! however restoring the factory settings will surely wipe my data clean and iv got alot of stuff on now.

if you buy another smartmedia card and insert it into the electribe, will it just have empty patterns? i suppose then i could restore the factory settings?

but thanks alot for your help TrrP!!!!!!!!!!
citrus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of his stuff too, I think his Drum and Bass success lies in his es1 mkII, its good for doing the sampling drum and bass stuff, and he creates those rolls with the roll button, i don't know if he uses the time slice function or not. I think he uses the emx for the more trancy patterns and the kinda slower bits he plays on his microkorg (this is for the Enter Shikari stuff). I read in a magazine that he uses a Radias for the more stringlike sounds. Hope this helps, if i find the mag i'll post more info up for you Very Happy
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does help indeed! anything to build up my knowlege on how to put together some good sounds thankyou!

what magazine was that interview from?

Smile
exacty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemmo wrote:
I'm sorry. I meant that if you want to go for the real thing, you have to sample the amen break. Everything else just doesn't sound like the real thing.

lol maybe in jungle. the majority of drum n bass has had quantized drums for years.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i do is start with a 1 bar pattern and build the drums,bass and lead and once i have a nice groove i save it.Don't worry too much about the sounds,just get a good groove.Don't know if you know this but when you save the pattern it copies to the other seven bars.I assume this is the way the MX is meant to be used and it works really well.Saves a lot of time anyway.It's a good way of working on your drum programming,once that 1 bar is tight,save it and then it's copied across to the other seven Smile

Then change the length from 1-4/8 bars and add your variations,drop bits out addfills rolls etc.

I've found this the best way of working with the EMX and maybe can help you with your D&B programming Very Happy
Portland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ This is the way to go.

Sometimes I'll make a song based on an eight bar pattern and for the intro just copy that pattern to make it just play the first bar over and over again for an intro. This works well with making trance intros/outros. But I digress...
crouchingsyntha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks!
got the hang of it completely now.

so much so iv just gone and bought a kaoss pad.

looks like ill be on this forum alot more now.............
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouchingsyntha wrote:
well thanks!
got the hang of it completely now.

so much so iv just gone and bought a kaoss pad.

looks like ill be on this forum alot more now.............

A kaoss pad will be killer with the MX Cool

Good tip about the intros Portland,hadn't thought of doing that..

Good luck CS Wink
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemmo wrote:
Simple: you don't program the drum n bass beats. You have to sample them. That's all.

dude I don't know what you're smoking. Sampling beats for any genre of music is pathetic and using loops. Drum n bass drum patterns are complicated, and take a long time to get used to but in any case you should use your own.... besides you can't sample into the emx.

the trick to the more progressive drum n bass of today(spor mayhem so on, chris renegade) is that the bassline(where it hits) is relative to the kick drum..... this is very hard to play out on the emx so you would have to do some creative step editing or use say ableton live and record the midi data into the electribe(works well).....

check this out. I have a song on my virb called not wanted: http://virb.com/ruso

well s**t I was gonna post a screenshot for it's drum pattern however I don't have an image editing program on this music machine Wink I'll do it later

DO YOU HAVE A SMART MEDIA CARD? cause if you do I can put some beats together for you to learn from.
wilmerv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: d'n'b Reply with quote

I'm thinkin' Nemmo (was that right?) might be talking just as well about using sampled drum sounds and slicing and rearranging drum parts (like from records (vinyl). A live drum sound recorded with some tube pre-amps, from off a drum kit can be pretty nice, too.
BTW, I'm actually looking for EMX patterns that I could drag to my smartmedia card, for ideas, experimentation, etc. Are there any out there? (how bout some good latin and other ethnic beats?).
Thanks,
Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: