Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using sliders as drawbars, ribbon sensitivity & step rec

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Using sliders as drawbars, ribbon sensitivity & step rec Reply with quote

Hi!

I have three questions for you. First, can I use M3' sliders as drawbars for organ sounds and if so, then how many of them support this feature? I've read that in case of Motif XS, not all of the organ sounds have the ability to let the drawbars moved. As far as I know, M3 doesn't have a special clonewheel organ application like Oasis does.

Secondly, what do you say about the sensitivity of M3's ribbon controller? There is a topic about the Oasys' ribbon, it needs some pressure to work correctly and so does Triton Extreme. Unfortunately I'm not able to test M3, as well as most of the synths I'm interested in, not many keyboards are in stock in my local music stores. But if you try to compare M3's ribbon with a laptop's touchpad, does the M3 need significantly harder pressure to work smoothly?

And finally - does the M3 have a step recording feature in the sequencer?
r12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could use sliders as drawbars in SEQ or COMBI mode by assigning these sliders and value slider (9 sliders for 9 drawbars) to track volume and a SW to switch perc, but you need to have separate programs for each drawbar with a dedicated sample
these samples are not in ROM

but YOU CAN...emulate this
Animal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. So I need to get new samples somewhere for that, right?
And can anyone say something about the ribbon and step recording?
r12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at first, for example, you can simulate drawbars with sine waves (it's not a real drawbar but better than nothing) and add a 11th program with key-click and key-off and use real samples later (when you will get them)
so : 9 programs for drawbars
1 program for perc (a sine pitched like 5th drawbar with short decay and a percussion sample)
1 program for key off

for ribbon an d step rec Think
MyMusic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: drawbars Reply with quote

i've done something similar for the Triton extreme, but used an organ sample (like a 16' hammond drawbar sample) instead of a sine wave. You can transpose these samples in combi mode to make them sound like the correct drawbars setting (i.e. the 8' bar would be an octave higher, the 5/13 bar would be (i think) 7 semi tones higher, etc). most instruments come with a basic organ tone like the 16' bar.
KarmaKazi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Using sliders as drawbars Reply with quote

Just a related note:

"M3_ExtSetups_E1.pdf" is a PDF that covers external settings: M3 with Korg and other manufacturers' software. http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1246

Page 6 has the Native Instruments B4 & B4 II. It has 2 scenes (A and B) set up; the B scenes are for the traditional drawbar interface.

I don't have these particular soft-synths to test, but it might be helpful as a template to use on what you may have available.

Your Mileage May Vary,

KarmaKazi
Animal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'll bounce my old topic. I'm just wondering if anybody has found some great Hammond drawbar samples that could be set separately to each slider, plus key click and percussion? How the M3's built in organ patches sound in general?
Voltan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might wanna check this out for the drawbars:
http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10942

As for the ribbon - it does need some pressure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: