Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer recording setups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Numinor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Computer recording setups Reply with quote

This might be the wrong place to ask this..

I'm thinking of selling my hard disk recorder to buy a computer setup.
I don't really know what specs to aim for with this, so I guess I'm asking what setups you guys have, and if they work fine for you.

I record guitars, my TR61, vocals and drums machines..
Any help greatly appreciated..

Adam
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't want to be unpleasant, but this topic has been covered several times, you should just do a little search on the forum and you'll find what you need.

BTW, you should tell us your budget, and if you need portability (so go with a laptop) or you plan to record at home/studio...

feel free to ask what you need to know, I'll be more than pleased to help you, but there are a lot of possibilities...

you should consider to buy a PC/Mac, a software sequencer (Cubase, Sonar, Logic, digital performer, live, and so on), an audio interface (MOTU, Presouns, M-Audio, etc) and a pair of monitors.
I think you'll understand that we need a little more details Wink

HTH, regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego - I'm in a similar situation myself. I currently own a Korg D3200 hard disk recorder and wish to switch to a software based sequencer/recorder. I'm using my Korg M3 as a master controller for my other synths (see my signature). They are then mixed down to a submixer and the L/R outputs sent to the D3200. All I want to do is use the same setup (but with a software based sequencer/recorder) and have the ability to edit tracks as I would with an internal sequencer (ie: quantize, erase/delete/insert measures) ...if that's even possible. I hope I've explained myself properly.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
All I want to do is use the same setup (but with a software based sequencer/recorder) and have the ability to edit tracks as I would with an internal sequencer (ie: quantize, erase/delete/insert measures) ...if that's even possible. .

That's possible if you record in MIDI and then play it back with the tone generator on your keyboard. If you want to record the audio, you will have to record MIDI, edit it, trigger the tone generator on your board and record the audio (that is, if you want to record for a CD. If you just want to edit and then use the software to trigger your keyboard live then just record and edit the MIDI).

Like was already mentioned, budget is a big issue. I run Cubase SX3 on a Toshiba laptop and a desktop. I use the Mackie 400F firewire interface with two Yamaha HS80M powered monitors. That basic setup ran us:

Desktop Computer - $1,200
Laptop - $1,600
Mackie 400F - $700
Cubase SX3 (now Cubase 4) - $800
Yamaha HS80M $700 ($350 per speaker)

Total $5,000

That doesn't include cables and if you only choose to have one comp - then shave about $1,400 or so. You will have to have a nice sized hard drive as one wave file at 96khz for 3 minutes can be over 200mb (and since most record each instrument seperately for a good mix - think about 10 tracks for 3 minutes being 2gigs and that is just for one song)!! You can double that if you want to record at 192khz - but that is beyond the scope of our keyboards.

I use an external hard drive that runs at 7,200 rpms. Another thing to consider in your comp. If your hard drive is 5,400 rpms or slower, you will have to record less tracks at one time. You will want 2gigs of ram and should go with 2.0Ghz processor speed or faster (though my laptop is 1.6) and try for dual core. Of course, running a mac can alleviate some of this but you will pay for it in higher computer prices.

Don't let any of this give you a bad taste. Software recording is great!!! The only thing stopping your ability and talent is the limits of your computer and interface. Upgrading to a newer build of software is usually cheaper and you can install as many effects and virtual instuments as you want. Again, you are only limited by your hardware.

You can get much cheaper setups as well and you don't have to use firewire (usb is another option but slower and not my preference). Again, as was stated, a target budget and a more detailed idea of what you want to accomplish will help a lot. You can also check out http://www.tweakheadz.com for a more thorough understanding of DAWs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: