Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips and Tricks Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decrepitude wrote:

"The most confusing thing about the KP3 is the way it handles looped samples. Rather than triggering loops from the beginning when you press a sample pad, it runs the loops continuously in the background."

"If you have four samples of equal length that all start on a downbeat, that design ensures they'll always be synchronized with each other. But it also means there's no way to know which section of the loop you'll hear when you press a pad."

Actually, if you save all of your samples into the librarian within your editor and make sure that retrigger is checked for all of the samples downloaded to the librarian, they will all start from the beginning each time that they are triggered. I was very happy about this little dicovery I can assure you all. Wink
hades of spades

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaoss Pad Quad Decimator trick:

http://youtu.be/bG1xhcJO2Ag

With no input volume use the decimator and touch the top left of the pad to hear internal noise being bitcrushed.

Use Jet + tape echo and drag your finger from the left corner up towards the top right (but not all the way as it produces nasty high frequencies).

It produces an interesting transition/riser effect.

Drag your finger to the left instead for weird vocal sounding delay tails! (my favourite)

Enjoy!
leeseibert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Kaossilator Pro's Secret Fifth Track Reply with quote

Batmosphere wrote:
Hi all.

Thanks for this excellent resource. It helped a lot while I was working on my Kaossilator Pro review for EM. Here's a trick I discovered that addresses two complaints with the KO Pro -- the lack of undo and the lack of track bouncing. I call it The Secret Fifth Track:

You can use Program 199, Audio-Looper, to capture one bar of external audio. Just hold the far right edge of the touch pad. If you don't like what you captured, lift your finger. That's the undo function.

If you do like what you captured, then hold down a loop button to overdub your new audio onto that button. Details here: http://emusician.com/tutorials/option_click_kaossilator_pro_fifth_track/

I found this tip very useful. Thanks Batmosphere.

I made a youtube video of what he means here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWDskg0kdPw
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Direct sound source to "Send" on KP Reply with quote

If you plug Direct into a KP or if your mixer has a pre-fade FX send,the Kaosspad would usually be set to Direct mode,so we can monitor the dry,original signal too.
I like to sometimes flick to Send mode,which makes the pad silent until we touch the XY ,which then opens the gate to let the (effected) sound through.
Two uses I've found for this:
1- Transformer scratch effect.
If you've got decks plugged in,save your faders from damage by tapping the pad with rapid finger rolls to get that crab technique easy.plus pick an effect you like to compliment your style.(Obviously use your other had to wiggle sound back n forth on deck ,like traditionally).
2- Ambient evolver switch.
No decks needed ,but an extra reverb unit is ,placed in serial,after KP.
I use a good sounding Lexicon Reflex ,set to hall/longest decay/predelay with a high mix.but lots of room for experiment ,any reverb or delay would be worth a try.I set the KP to looper &Isolator or looper/Isolator&HPF ,but again-try any, then feed the pad any source. Radio should do. I really liked classical records with female vocals.literally anything.Then experiment dropping sound snippets into the cavernous reverb and varying position on your pad for tonal/length variations.

Using the pads as extended faders for the mixer ,with an effect built in is a really nice thing about this Kaoss device. I like to have a mini KP after the KP3,then after my mini I have the reverb unit.
I then double this lay out with 2nd KP3 followed by mini and reverb for two parallel channels of 3 effects out of my DJ mixer. One set on master out, the other on effects send. -It's a modular synth were the oscillators are the decks and the sample library is kept on my shelf.
(Throw in synth & drum machine to taste).
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick of Tempo synced delays on Kaoss?
- Use the BPM knob to shift delay time, for those pitch slurs and manual modulated delays.

Last edited by Spheric El on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaOscillator timing trick-
Press stop before recording a time crucial phrase like an GateArp pattern or a drum loop. While stopped ,press and hold record (without releasing it) then touch pad to start your pattern overdub and it will start record/play in perfect sync from beat 1 ,everytime. (It is in the manual).
This doesn't work with the 4 bar mode (start up hack ,switching on while rec/tempo is held) on KO1.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Pad Motion with 2* KP3s midi. Reply with quote

If you have two KP3s , plug midi out from one into the other.
You now have two pad motion's affecting one pad. -Change the midi CCs of the controllers XY to match the FX depth of the receiver (and any other non XY CC number), then make motion sequencers on both pads ,with different time lengths. Try to get the FX depth (mix level) to move to min for a bit.
We now have a motion sequence that lasts for longer than 4 seconds and is constantly changing. Extra Kaoss pad motion.

Last edited by Spheric El on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Off The Scale. Reply with quote

On the KO1 there is an "off" setting in the scale menu.Click left from chromatic.
This allows quantise free pitch control like the Monotron /tribe for micro tones and FX with every synth program.pick a gate arp (pattern 1 works well-16ths) and a synth with delay (-Ambient Lead) and climb that micro scale with suble bends of the finger ,or go all out warps and glides with gate off.Maybe combine with more melodic 5ths/root notes.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Kp3 Samp 6&7 hidden feature Reply with quote

Sample program's 6 & 7 on Kp3 have a hidden feature.
7 is Grain sampler. Well locate a sample start position (midway through) ,then switch program's to Timestretch (6) and the new start position is remembered. So play back your loops and 1shots with new start positions quickly on the fly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: