Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do i teach my self

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  

will you reply?
YES
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

korgrx100question

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: how do i teach my self Reply with quote

is there like "tabs" for synth/keyboards. How do you play by ear? I have a CASIO CT-638. Is that a good syth/keyboard to start with. What is the difference between synth and keyboard?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i teach my self Reply with quote

korgrx100question wrote:
is there like "tabs" for synth/keyboards.

The only thing like that I know of that is similar are the many MIDI files for well known songs that you can find on the Internet. You can load one of those up into a MIDI sequencer on your computer and look at the keyboard parts in a piano roll editor. That's the closest to guitar tabs that I've come across.

Quote:
How do you play by ear?

I almost exclusively play my own pieces so this is not really an issue for me.

Quote:
I have a CASIO CT-638. Is that a good syth/keyboard to start with.

No comment ... I am not familiar with that piece of kit Wink

Quote:
What is the difference between synth and keyboard?

Home keyboards generally offer a bunch of sounds that cover most bases and the products are easy to use. Synthesizers are like the professional version of that and offer not only a large number of sounds but the opportunity to create/edit your own sounds, tailor effect settings etc.

Synths, generally speaking, let you go a lot deeper in the sound design and music creation process.

Daz.
korgrx100question

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, with me knowing nothing about keyboading, what is a begginers, not expensive keyboard to start out with? and thank you for responding
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it highly depends on what you will have to do with your keyboard.
tell us please the budget you want to invest on that deal...

if you don't plan to gig live with your first keyb, you can go for a cheap casio, or a cheap yamaha psr series...
or if you want to stay in the mid range, you can look for a used Korg Triton Le 61 keys, which could be found for about $500 if you're lucky.

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
korgrx100question

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, but i think i just fool around with what i got, i might go for Korg Triton Le 61 keys later on. 700 bills is my max amount of spending right now. Will i use in it a gig, i have no idea. thanks for answering
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ... 4 people voted that they would reply ... but only 2 people did Wink You jokers ! Smile

Korg Triton Le or TR61, Roland Juno-D, Motif MO 6 ... or even a Korg X50.

It totally depends on what sounds you are after and what kind of music you want to make. All these keyboards have strengths and weakness, some are better for different kinds of sounds than others.

Daz.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I might add, to start learning piano depends on your age as well, however, if you do a google on the subject, you will find a great deal of sources.

My suggestion would be to spend $ 100 bucks on a couple of lessons before you make the expense of $ 700 towards a keyboard. You might change your mind and wish to play bass triangle instead....
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing_bear wrote:
My suggestion would be to spend $ 100 bucks on a couple of lessons before you make the expense of $ 700 towards a keyboard. You might change your mind and wish to play bass triangle instead....

Just what I wanted to say as well......kick the tires and check under the hood before you buy. Cool
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: how do i teach my self Reply with quote

korgrx100question wrote:
is there like "tabs" for synth/keyboards. How do you play by ear? I have a CASIO CT-638. Is that a good syth/keyboard to start with. What is the difference between synth and keyboard?

If you know nothing about synthesizers or keyboards, buy a cheap one but take care:
- It has full size keys (most have them nowadays)
- It has velocity (hard play -> high volume)

Playing by ear? Just listen to an mp3 or cd and try to play ... start with melody, that's the easiest to hear, switch to other parts (bass line etc later and actual keyboard sounds).

A synth is basically for creating and playing sounds. It does not have a builtin speaker system and originally does not have a drums and accompaniment (hope my english is good enough).

Keyboards have less possibility for sound adaption (fixed sounds) but have speakers and rhytm section. However synths and keyboards tend to grow towards eachother. When sound creation is not that important but only to play around ... stick to a keyboard.

Spend lots of time learning how to play, either by taking lessons and learn to read notes or by listening, but its nice to have some basic knowledge about notes. Hearing what to play and actually play it are two different things.

Good luck and most of all: have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: