Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA 5X MIDI Implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: PA 5X MIDI Implementation Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have a PA 5X and I am trying to understand how to acess the internal sound bank using MSB/LSB commands. My DAW is Studio One, I am not sure how many of you use studio one.

Is there an Instrument Definition File for the PA5X, could anyone point me in the right direction?

John
trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Isn't there anyone who can help me on this? I haven't been able to use this on Studioone at all.

Can someone point me to a good link that shows how we can program full songs on the keyboard itself? I read through the manual, but it doesn't cover this area in detail. It just skims through. So, I have a keyboard that I can't fully use.

Please help. TIA

Thanks,
John
deminda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the MSB/ LSB below the voice names; There is a setting to get this on the screen
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: PA 5X MIDI Implementation Reply with quote

trumpet wrote:
... I have a PA 5X and I am trying to understand how ...

I really think you did not read the Pax manual.

Download pa5x-manual (https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/895/4924/).

trumpet wrote:
... trying to understand how to acess the internal sound bank using MSB/LSB commands. ...

You will find a table lists (page 1408 ff)) of all Factory Sounds as they appear in the Sound Select window. The table also includes MIDI data used to remotely select the Sounds. CC00: Control Change 0, or Bank Select MSB. CC32: Control Change 32, or Bank
Select LSB. PC: Program Change.

trumpet wrote:
... Can someone point me to a good link that shows how we can program full songs on the keyboard itself? I read through the manual, but it doesn't cover this area in detail. So, I have a keyboard that I can't fully use.

Pa5X includes a 16-track MIDI sequencer. You can record and edit MIDI Songs in Song Edit mode. It is described detailled on page 767 - 785.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
leland_iko_music

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, I was led to believe that the Assignable Switches are the only ones that can be "captured" to control MIDI functions -- I guess I misunderstood this? I had originally asked if the matrix pads could be reassigned to switch patches on Mainstage, but apparently this is not possible.
I was told that the only way really to do what I want to accomplish is to use another MIDI controller, such as a DJ Figher Twister or a Traktor.... I would dearly love to be able to select the Mainstage VSTs from the Korg itself though without having to invest in yet another device.

I have currently assigned the assignable switches as follows in Mainstage:

1. Previous patch
2. Next patch
3. Mute

1 and 2 "skip" about 5 patches so impossible to granularly select what patch I want from Mainstage without mouse-clicks. 3 works fine to switch between Mainstage patches and internal PA5X sounds.

Ideally, in the absence of being able to use the matrix to select, to create "dummy" entries in the USER section of the sound edit mode, to be able to select any of the patches by a name that I define (much like can be done with the Roland Fantom). However, when I look at what midi signal is passed from one of the user slots, of the 10 slots, they send the suffix 0 to 9 for each, but the exact same signal is sent for other "pages" of the user banks..

Does this mean that I can only assign for a maximum of 10 specific plugins ?

(please don't shoot me .. I just play the thing .. )

Leland
leland_iko_music

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I killed this thread Sad

LOL
korgpask

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly as it is in the Pa5X manual or when the name of the sound is displayed there is also a number (for example 121.026.51) According to these numbers it is possible to turn on the exact sound.
Just look at the Pa5X screen and the numbers at the sound. Then write these on a midi track and you're done.
leland_iko_music

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korgpask wrote:
Yes, exactly as it is in the Pa5X manual or when the name of the sound is displayed there is also a number (for example 121.026.51) According to these numbers it is possible to turn on the exact sound.
Just look at the Pa5X screen and the numbers at the sound. Then write these on a midi track and you're done.

AHA !!! just noticed that user-saved banks assign a unique code also so for example Legacy/Bass "Dr. Octave" has 121.016.038 , but if I then save it to a user slot, it's 121.068.001

Nice !

time to see exactly how I can associate these with specific patches in Mainstage then ...

Thanks !

Leland
leland_iko_music

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update -- *PARTIAL* Success...

Mainstage is not receiving the 9 digit codes, but rather another code corresponding to the placement in the instrument menus, and irrespective of what instrumentation screen is being used, it's limited at 20 unique codes, and they're all the same for the same placements in every screen.

(The same codes are sent from those menu positions whether it be in Factory, Legacy, GM/XG, or User, and for any instrument group).

What I have managed to do is create in the Sound Edit section, I created a User bank which I've called "Mainstage" and copied just a piano into the various positiions as a placeholder which I simply just renamed to whatever patch was being triggered in Mainstage. Some of the placements don't send a code that Mainstage understands though so there are some gaps.

I use about 40 patches in Mainstage, but can only directly switch to a maximum of 20 with the PA5X. The Assignable swithes above the pitchbend/articulation send signals which I've mapped to previous, next, and mute, but the previous and next actually skip about 5 patches at a time in Mainstage, so for many of the patches I still need to use the mouse for now.

Short visual of where it's setup:

Selecting Mainstage Patches from PA5X via MIDI

It's a start for now though ...

Leland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: