Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing Kronos screen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Replacing Kronos screen Reply with quote

I fixed 4 different Korg M3s where the screens died. I recall getting and replacing a new ribbon cable to fix a couple screens, and sometimes just buying a replacement screen and swapping the whole thing out.

I have a Kronos, 1st gen, where there was not backlighting or lighting. You could press different areas of the screen where you knew where the touchbuttons were (from memory), and that worked, but no lighting so basically flying blind. In trying to repair, I've had a few different screens where I've sometimes successfully
1. laid the new screen in place and attached the KLM-3007 board connections, but again dark/"invisible" buttons work, but you just can't see anything on the screen. Sometimes invisible buttons work, but no lighting. Sometimes I get just contiguous backlight a solid light gray. One replacement screen I ended up disassembling and there were layers of sheeting you could not easily see through, and these layers when stacked formed the outline for where the top or bottom buttons that form a left to right menu were cut out. Now I'm going to swap out the KLM3007 board.
Any ideas that could fix this? I noticed some screens have a 2 prong connector for what I think is lighting, like 3-5v, that plugs into the 3007.
I had one screen where it looked like it was supposed to look when I finally got light projected, but then a very light transparent sheet, like saran wrap, got pinched and no more sensing the buttons (they emit a beep) Or projecting the menus, and interface.

Thanks!

PS - I tried to buy a second hand Kronos off of Reverb, but was obviously being scammed and finally got my money back. DO NOT USE REVERB, they have gone WAY DOWNHILL and you'll NEVER get a person on the phone.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
gurn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea but I'm following the thread. I just bought a used Kronos off Facebook for a good price. It has 3 vertical lines on the screen. So that's why I got a discount. I hope I'm not looking at a replacement.

Korg Kronos-88, Korg M3-88, Kawai K1r (alive), K-1 (dead)

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow, Fender Jazzmaster, 2015 Gibson Les Paul Special, acoustics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: