Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA5X and GENOS 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vangelismusic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:17 pm    Post subject: PA5X and GENOS 2 Reply with quote

I recently visited Guitar Center in Lakeland Florida and to my surprise I see a YAMAHA GENOS 2 just sitting there, so, I sat down and started playing, to my amazement it just sounds so good out of the box, I have a PA5x but the GENOS2 especially the drums are fabolous to my ears, why couldn't KORG install the exact KRONOS 2 drums if they said they redesigned them? also I feel that the GENOS is more geared to the organist were the 5X is tailored towards the piano player heavier keys. The built looks flimsy to me as opposed to the 5X which is built like a tank, and although I like most of the features in the 5x the GENOS is lighter to me and more appealing to carry around, what are you're thoughts? maybe Korg might upgrade the drum kits to a KRONOS sound? although I think the sampling of the KRONOS maybe takes up to much room?
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked...

My opinion is that the drums are the least important of these machines. Noone sitting opposite you is listening for nuanced drums. I don't see them improving upon drums when they can't even get OS updates out that add needed functions.

And I don't care if the Genos 2 wiped the floor with the pa5x in overall sound quality in all categories(it doesnt), it's a colossal waste of $ for 1 simple reason..

No seamless sound transition. No way in hell am I paying $6k for a plastic box that doesn't support an important feature to me. That's 1 thing I like about this Nautilus/Pa5x combo, them both having sst makes it all a breeze.

End Rant 🤣

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
People will make the comparison as they are both flagship arrangers. That said, the Genos 2 is 50% more in price than the PA5X here in the U.K. In those circumstances how can it be a fair comparison.

If I preferred the Genos 2 to the PA5X (which I don't) the additional price to buy one would stop me. I simply could not justify that kind of outlay on what essentially is a hobby for me. I'm not a pro, I don't gig out, I just unwind by playing a few tunes for my own pleasure and I bet at least 70% of Genos 2 and PA5X owners are in the same situation as me.

Could somebody please take the time to explain what is so groundbreaking about the Genos 2. In the latter stages of ownership of my PA4X I had more than 800 styles available with Korg bonus styles stored on a USB stick and Dopamine 2.6 loaded into the user sections. I doubt that sounds on the Genos 2 are much better than the sounds on the original Genos, there will just be more different high quality sounds. Please don't take that I am criticizing the Genos 2, I'm not but I've heard it all before at the product launches. My guess is that new owners of the Genos 2 will be more than happy with their purchase, albeit at an excessive cost.
Chris

p.s. Vangelis, the reason the Genos 2 sounds so good 'out of the box' is because Yamaha know exactly the market that the keyboard is aimed at. Martin Harris, Richard Bower and the Team have been doing this for many, many years and everything is aimed at the 'hobbyist' from 40 years of age and upwards with a bit of savings. Select a style, press the one touch settings and away you go !!
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenomorph wrote:
You asked...

My opinion is that the drums are the least important of these machines. Noone sitting opposite you is listening for nuanced drums. I don't see them improving upon drums when they can't even get OS updates out that add needed functions.

End Rant 🤣

Are you an entertainer for live audiences? If you are, surely you know that the Drums and Bass set the "Groove" and dance-ability of a song more than any other instrument. Drums are of EXTREME importance. Just look at Ketron products and why they are primarily interested in RECORDED LIVE DRUMMERS.

With all that said, the only thing the G2 offers over the G1, is a new AMBIENCE setting which the Pa5x already has. In my opinion the REVO drums in the G1 and G2 are inferior to the Korg. Also, the Korg drums are more editable. I find the groove on the Korg more dance-able than on the Yamaha.

And btw, I've done 100's of gigs with the Pa4x and the Pa5x. I would NOT take the Genos out gigging unless it was for Orchestral and Acoustic guitar sound support. The Hammond B3 sounds in the Korg blow the doors off of the G2. In closing, the Korg is more of a contemporary sounding and song engine compared to the more home player/organist players for the Yamaha.

Here's some food for thought....In some respects, the Ketron beats them both!!!
Yamko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I finally sold my Pa5x 76.
The almost countless complaints and reactions here on the forum have played a very important role!!
Korg has a very bad reputation for support, just one example is the faded buttons not to mention the other massive issues!!
Anyone who wants to contradict this should read this forum carefully!! I have now switched back to the trusted and reliable Yamaha!!
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamko wrote:
Hello,
The almost countless complaints and reactions here on the forum have played a very important role!!
Korg has a very bad reputation for support, just one example is the faded buttons not to mention the other massive issues!!
Anyone who wants to contradict this should read this forum carefully!! I have now switched back to the trusted and reliable Yamaha!!

Maybe you should read it more carefully?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=130460

Enjoy your new arranger Cool

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
Yamko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I shouldn't read better, let it be a warning to those who want to buy another one!!!
JagiChan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamko wrote:
Hello,

I am amazed by how quickly bad news can kill a Great product. No wonder the social media is notorious for spreading fake news.

Coming to your point of Korg PA5X issues. Firstly, I would like to say that out of the box the PA5X is far superior to the Genos, in terms of sounds, build quality, amount of options available in the H/W, etc., For the sake of repetition, "There definitely are some shortcomings and missing features, which are mostly software related. Software is like Wine, it takes time to mature.".

Our Pros on this forum have done some extremely great work on the PA5X in terms of creating new sounds and styles or even reprogramming existing sounds and styles. Check out the forum and you'll see the bright side of owning the PA5X.

Congratulations on your new arranger, have fun.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagiChan wrote:
Our Pros on this forum have done some extremely great work on the PA5X in terms of creating new sounds and styles or even reprogramming existing sounds and styles. Check out the forum and you'll see the bright side of owning the PA5X.

Agree Very Happy

I would love to buy the PA5x but my issues are the more serious "non-working" problems (not the odd bugs) plus my fear and lack of confidence in Korg (PA5X arranger-related only). Korg's communication is now pitiful and look at all the new and updated products they are churning out - BUT not a word about the PA5x. Confidence with any very expensive gear is essential for me. Korg have obviously been working on the PA1000 OS - just updated!!!! Summing it all up, my confidence is currently shattered - that, and the PA5x, need to be fixed first... I do not throw money at sub-standard gear!!!

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Vangelismusic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am picky and I really don't care what people comments say about bugs, they are the ones that don't deep dive into the instruments capabilities and give up on the slightest road block, you have to put time into your instrument to learn it, and at this particular moment my PA5X is playable and once you dive into the deep you might find a few bugs but eventually they will get straightened out, now, the main reason that I would not buy a GENOS is, crazy expensive, and mostly the reason I stick with KORG is, I have too much material to switch to another brand, Korg for the money gives you the most bang for your buck and I have always been mostly a KORG supporter, as far as support most if not all big companies have failed in this category it's the sign of the times, they don't have time for idiots calling to ask how to use their products from what I gathered through the years.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vangelismusic wrote:
as far as support most if not all big companies have failed in this category it's the sign of the times, they don't have time for idiots calling to ask how to use their products from what I gathered through the years.

Charming... ((((Idiots)))) you say, who is calling customers/user's idiots may I ask, You? Or the manufacturer's??.....
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I threw money at a sub standard product over two weeks ago.

I love it, yes I am finding annoying quirks that should not be, but that may be me getting used to the Korg way after a break.

I’m still within the 30 day return, but it is a keeper.

For all but one thing it does what I want.

For info, I save the Style to Songbook with the Keyboard Sets etc that I want to use but it does not save what I have programmed into Player 2, everything else is OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: