Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It has arrived....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

I threw it under the Nautilus real quick, spent about 90 minutes with it, and I'm floored with what can be done with this beast! I'll be rewatching Qui's videos for tips and tricks, and soon I'll be ordering Global Sounds goodies.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SgBINBWIoqM?si=vFnw-Se6NEzbq0HY

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz WOW , TOYS! PLAY GROUND! NICE

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Blazenko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

Xenomorph wrote:
I threw it under the Nautilus real quick, spent about 90 minutes with it, and I'm floored with what can be done with this beast! I'll be rewatching Qui's videos for tips and tricks, and soon I'll be ordering Global Sounds goodies.

Can you please tell us how the KORG PA5X compares sound-wise to the KORG Nautilus? For example, by selecting the same sounds and simply listening to determine which keyboard sounds better. Yes, I know, subjective, but still in a direct comparison. Better stereo image, more assertive, just crisper.
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazenko wrote:
Xenomorph wrote:

Can you please tell us how the KORG PA5X compares sound-wise to the KORG Nautilus? For example, by selecting the same sounds and simply listening to determine which keyboard sounds better. Yes, I know, subjective, but still in a direct comparison. Better stereo image, more assertive, just crisper.

That was the 1st thing I did, I matched volumes as best I could, and compared japanese and Italian grands, and the Nautilus wins, but they are almost identical. Actually, it is indeed subjective, the Nautilus sounds lighter and ever so slightly clearer. But the heavier sound of the pa5x sounds great too. I'll make a vid comparing the factory sounds in a few days and I'll post it.

*I will say that the brass and strings on the pa5x kill the Nautilus. Maybe I just wanted to hear the difference, I need to spend more time on it, but my jaw dropped when playing the orchestral sounds, etc. The build quality is amazing too, I'll take quality and heft over light cheap plastic every day of the week. I just turned 50, I may have a different opinion on weight in 15 yrs.

I love the keybed on the Pa5x. Might be the best I've ever used. OK I could gush for hours, that's enough for now Laughing

* 1 more thing.. the screen response is immaculate. Cannot stand the antiquated screens on everything else that Korg seems to love.

Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
Blazenko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy

I just ordered my Pa5X .
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

Blazenko wrote:
Xenomorph wrote:

Well I have my Pa5x and the Nautilus in my home studio and would say, from my perspective, that the two keyboards complement each other rather than one sounding better than the other. Being primarily a piano player, I like the shear amount of available pianos in the Nautilus. The Pa5x is not a slouch in the piano department but it shines in other sounds in my opinion as well. The strength of the Pa5x is in its ability to modulate sounds to provide more accurate sounding interpretations of brass, guitar and strings for example. Having played for many years, I can say that keyboard players of today are blessed with all the available options that we never had 40 or 50 years ago. I am happy to have both. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazenko wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

I just ordered my Pa5X .

Congrats!

Xenomorph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
Blazenko wrote:
Xenomorph wrote:

Well I have my Pa5x and the Nautilus in my home studio and would say, from my perspective, that the two keyboards complement each other rather than one sounding better than the other. Being primarily a piano player, I like the shear amount of available pianos in the Nautilus. The Pa5x is not a slouch in the piano department but it shines in other sounds in my opinion as well. The strength of the Pa5x is in its ability to modulate sounds to provide more accurate sounding interpretations of brass, guitar and strings for example. Having played for many years, I can say that keyboard players of today are blessed with all the available options that we never had 40 or 50 years ago. I am happy to have both. Cool

Agree on everything above. I saw 2 gentlemen that had the same combo, they do indeed compliment one another. Thats another I forgot to mention, the guitars, some of the nylons specifically. Very very impressive. And to think, I believed we were at the pinnacle of sound quality 36 yrs ago when I got the M1 Rolling Eyes

chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have then same combination, Nautilus 88 lower keyboard with the PA5X 61 note upper keyboard. I also have Roland PK5 bass pedals connected (I started my musical journey playing organ).

I find it useful to be able to midi them up and play the piano sounds on the PA5X using the 88 note weighted keys of the Nautilus. It would be easy to say one is better than the other, but together they are very powerful. I would not want to fault either as they both have a big 'learning curve' (for me anyway), but I don't regret owning either. Strongest sounds on the PA5X against the Nautilus for me are the acoustic guitars. The choice of Nautilus pianos is huge.
Chris
F-Minor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

Xenomorph wrote:

Congratulations with your purchase & I bet you will be musically inspired by this beautiful instrument. Qui’s videos will surely help you to get the best out of it, I still re-watch them regularly! Good luck!

F-Minor

PA5X 88 (& I love it! Smile )

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@FransV2010
F-Minor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

F-Minor wrote:
Xenomorph wrote:

Congratulations with your purchase & I bet you will be musically inspired by this beautiful instrument. Qui’s videos will surely help you to get the best out of it, I still re-watch them regularly! Good luck!

Another great source of information on YT is the UK Keyboard Academy. Paul Carman explains a lot of the basic functions of the PA5X in a very detailed, pleasant and easy to understand manner. Highly recommended for the basics.
www.youtube.com/@KeyboardAcademy-UK

F-Minor

PA5X 88 (& I love it! Smile )

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@FransV2010
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: It has arrived.... Reply with quote

F-Minor wrote:
F-Minor wrote:
Xenomorph wrote:

Another great source of information on YT is the UK Keyboard Academy. Paul Carman explains a lot of the basic functions of the PA5X in a very detailed, pleasant and easy to understand manner. Highly recommended for the basics.
www.youtube.com/@KeyboardAcademy-UK

I'm sub'd to that channel too, very insightful. I've barely touched it between work, moving rack onto a different wall, and setting up led lighting. When I sit down at it, the entire day will go by in the blink of an eye.

JagiChan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup. Congratulations and most of all have fun.
Blazenko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazenko wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

I just ordered my Pa5X .

So, now I’ve had the KORG PA-5X keyboard for just about two weeks and can state the following, at least personally.

The KORG PA-5X sounds significantly better than the PA-4X. And I also find it sound wise better than the Genos2. It has better stereo width, better stereo depth, just clearer and more assertive the PA-5X sounds.

What I absolutely do not like are the styles. The styles, in my opinion, are an absolute disaster. And in comparison to the Yamaha Genos2 for example, the Genos2 just has excellently programmed styles. Although they are song-based styles, these styles are just superbly programmed, wonderful to play, and just fun.

The styles on the PA-5X are really a catastrophe. And so uninspiring, no idea what KORG was thinking. The keyboard, the keybed feeling is really very good, the display is excellent. So far, it has crashed on me a few times, but okay, I feared that might happen. One can live with it and I am waiting for new updates. So basically, although I am satisfied with the PA-5X in terms of sound, the styles are indeed a downer (for me).
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazenko wrote:
Blazenko wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

I just ordered my Pa5X .

So, now I’ve had the KORG PA-5X keyboard for just about two weeks and can state the following, at least personally.

The KORG PA-5X sounds significantly better than the PA-4X. And I also find it sound wise better than the Genos2. It has better stereo width, better stereo depth, just clearer and more assertive the PA-5X sounds.

What I absolutely do not like are the styles. The styles, in my opinion, are an absolute disaster. And in comparison to the Yamaha Genos2 for example, the Genos2 just has excellently programmed styles. Although they are song-based styles, these styles are just superbly programmed, wonderful to play, and just fun.

The styles on the PA-5X are really a catastrophe. And so uninspiring, no idea what KORG was thinking. The keyboard, the keybed feeling is really very good, the display is excellent. So far, it has crashed on me a few times, but okay, I feared that might happen. One can live with it and I am waiting for new updates. So basically, although I am satisfied with the PA-5X in terms of sound, the styles are indeed a downer (for me).

16 days with it, and loving it. I don't do any deep editing, no crashes or issues of any sort, yet. Absolutely love the screen, the keybed is the best I've ever had. Its so easy to get to all parameters, straight foward workflow imo. But I tend to agree on the styles. I knew what I was getting, as I watched videos for 6 months b4 buying it. You have to get creative when matching a song to a style, but if the styles were better, we wouldn't have to get so creative. In that department, they are lacking.

But the sounds are so damn good that I'm not focusing on the generic styles. Again, I knew what I was getting. Now if I was an uninformed buyer and heard a genos 2 style demo, and assumed I'd be getting the same or better with the pa5x, I'd be very confused and upset right now.

Having the Nautilus in the mix is great. Best decision I ever made was to sell the akai and 06, and replace them with this. Adding Global Sounds Artist edition made it even better.

I get the feeling that this might be Korgs last Flagship arranger. If it's not, they really really need to prioritize much better Styles moving forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: