Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did Korg change the font?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Why did Korg change the font? Reply with quote

This is a critically important question for which I need answers! Why did Korg change the font for the Kross, Krome and Kronos product lines?

In the early 2010s, they had this futuristic font for the logos of the KROME, KRONOS and KROSS. When they did their product refresh (the Kross 2/Krome Ex and Kronos 2), they moved to a softer, rounder font.

Anyone know why? I always thought the original font was really cool.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a first world problem ;-)

Looking at a whole range of Korg instruments over the years, the main Korg logo has only changed subtly, and relatively recently, with the removal of the small lip on the end of the "G" of KORG.

As for the name of the instrument itself, Korg have never been tied to a specific font. Look at the fonts used for labelling the M1, M3, Radias, and Wavestation, for example. They are all different. It's part of product development. Look at how the Windows UI has changed over the years, starting from Windows 1, through Windows 98, to Windows 11. To me, the most recent iterations of Windows are a bit yuck, if I'm honest. Far too soft and flouncy!! :-)

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries there, as all big companies do that. Pepsi just changed their logo again, they do that about every 3 to 5 years. Cool

Beer Beer Beer
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the Star Trekky font for the company name KORG hasn't changed much over the decades. Product fonts probably strive to look fresh and not dated. Nautilus adopted the currently in vogue convention of using an upside-down V for a capital A.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First world problems?! This is of critical importance!

Well, in any event, I am pleased I updated my original Kronos 61 to the Kronos 2. Because in the meantime, I have ended up with a Krome Ex and a Kross 2, and had I not upgraded the Kronos, the fonts wouldn’t have matched!

I just thought it was interesting to change the font for the product name during a mid-cycle product refresh.

Anyway, we probably all have vastly more important things to do a discuss. As you were!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the same reason they periodically seem to change the color scheme. Just to make it look more or less edgy. I thought it might even be something more technical like an expired Trademark but that seems less likely. So I go with option 1.

Although more importantly why did they stop making workstations in their iconic Korg color of silver? That silver stood out in the studio or on stage.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
I thought it might even be something more technical like an expired Trademark but that seems less likely. So I go with option 1.

That's not unheard of. Perhaps the licensing for the typeface used in the original Kronos expired and they had already secured the newer one for the subsequent line of models. Or perhaps they felt that the older one was somewhat out of fashion. Designers are going to design.

This is of paramount importance, now I need to _know_
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: