Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to prevent memory stick from coming loose?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: How to prevent memory stick from coming loose? Reply with quote

I think I remember reading something here about this before, but I can't find it. Is there some kind of silicone rubber "goop" that I could use to hopefully prevent the memory stick on the motherboard from coming loose. In order to minimize the occurrence of the dreaded "a problem has been detected" screen of death, every few months I have to remove a couple dozen screws to open up my Kronos2-61 and re-seat the SO-DIMM memory module. I worry that any kind of adhesive might work its way into the connector and foul the electronic contacts. Also, memory sticks fail sometimes, and need to be replaced. So I'd like to find some solution to hold the memory stick in place without making a mess, and allow future removal and replacement of the memory stick without too much pain and suffering.

I gig fairly often with my Kronos. I carry it in a semi-hard case, and try to treat it gently, but it goes for rides in the car, and I play pretty hard, too, so it gets a bit of a physical workout on stage, as well.

Does anyone have experience "ruggedizing" the Kronos motherboard like this?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drop of hot melt glue might be the way to go, and can usually be subsequently peeled away, if necessary, without causing damage.

I've found that, at least with some DIMM type memory sockets, both on laptops and PCs, the memory stick needs to fully engage with the locking/release arms, to prevent it working loose, and the degree of engagement isn't always blindingly obvious.

Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I’ve been giging with my K2 since 2015….no issues 🤞
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of trying this: https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Electronic-Grade-Silicone-Squeeze/dp/B0063U2RT8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: