Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing GM sound to a Korg sound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve350

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Changing GM sound to a Korg sound Reply with quote

Is it possible on a song with all midi tracks to change lets say the GM Steel guitar to a Legacy Korg Steel guitar? If so, would someone please tell me how to step by step?
Thank you, Steve
steve350

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this impossible?
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: GM Steel guitar Reply with quote

I would think so..
on the pa4x and pa1000

I got a global turn off factory protection then I could copy any instrument to a new spot or location and the GM sound department if you're going to add a new guitar or piano you have to delete one other spots you cannot add more than what they have there I've tried that as an example..

Some of my MIDI files default to a GM piano which I don't like so I overwrite it with a factory piano but I cannot add it to the end they don't let you do that but you can't change all the GM sounds give it a try nothing to lose..
When the style calls up GM guitar it will now play the guitar that you replaced it with.

Tell me if it works for you have fun.
steve350

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off thanks for the reply. I am not trying to add a new midi track to the song. So for example on track 4 of my midi song is a GM Acoustic guitar. It does not sound so good.

I just want to replace that GM Acoustic Guitar with one of the Korg Factory or Legacy Acoustic ones but when I click on track 4 it lets me go to the menu of sounds. I choose an Factory Korg Steel Acoustic.

I try and save it to everything in the drop down arrow but when I go and restart the song it goes back to the GM Acoustic Guitar.

I hope I am making sense.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI file probably has a Program Change near the beginning setting to the GM sound each time the song starts.

In a Korg workstation you can delete this Program Change event in sequencer mode using the Event Editor filtering to show Program Change events only. I don't know how this is done in Korg arranger keyboards.

If you start the playback a bar or two after the first measure, it might skip that program change - as a temporary workaround.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:12 am    Post subject: GM Steel guitar Reply with quote

bpoodoo

bpoodoo right , MIDI file probably has a Program Change near the beginning .
Simple to change.

My mistake I thought you were referring to a style inside of the keyboard.

Send me the MIDI file pick the guitar you want and I'll change it and send it back if you like then you could take it apart and see what I did which is basically.
what bpoodoo said ..

Edit all could be done inside your keyboard or a DAW
steve350

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will send you the midi file. I use a Program called PowerTracks by PG Music. I can open this song in that program and see all of the midi information.

At the start of the song is controller 7 which is the volume followed by the pan which is 64, then some reverb and chorus, nothing else.

This program allows me to change the GM sounds to the Korg sounds. I think it is an INI file that I found for the Korg PA something. So I can change the GM to one of the Korg instruments.

But when I save the song and load it into the Korg song sequencer it goes back to the GM Acoustic Guitar.

I have a lot of midi song files so I would like to know how to do this for all of the other songs I have.
Thanks,
Steve
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:27 am    Post subject: GM Steel guitar Reply with quote

I do have power tracks all the bandana box stuff but I will probably use cakewalk 9.
Yes like everyone else out there I got sonar bandlab and so on but cakewalk 9 is really easy to use to edit midi...
thanks
let's see what happens
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: patience Reply with quote

Forgive me I don't read much of my e-mail that sent to me so if you sent something and I haven't replied it's only because I didn't look at it yet.

I'm always out working playing somewhere don't get much time on the computer thank you for your patience though.
steve350

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your email thank you. I asked you a few questions. So, when you get a chance let me know what you think.
Thanks again.
steve350

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sending me the files but they are GM sounds. I am trying to use my Pa4x sounds not GM. Is there a way to do this?
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 3x its a simple procedure and should be the same on the 4x.
Open the midi file in Sequencer Mode.
Touch an Instrument twice and select a new Instrument.
Top Right drop down menu, Save Song (as new name or overwrite.)
As mentioned the only time you might have problems is when there are Control messages reverting the Intrument back. These can be removed in Menu, Event Edit.
steve350

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reuben. The mistake I was making is that I was in the SONG mode not the SEQUENCER MODE. Now I can change it to any instrument, save it and it stays.
Thanks again,
Steve
steve350

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay the only problem with the SEQ mode is it won't let me choose the 4 presets I have set up to play along with the song. So is there a way to do that? I've been playing all of my Midi songs in the Song mode which allows me to choose one of the 4 presets on the screen.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play them in Song mode. Set it up as a Songbook entry. Songbook is perfect for midi's and the 4 STS's can be set up - in fact I dont bother with Styles generally but all my Songbook entries are actually midi files. If you put say your initials as Artist you can then filter the Songbook by Artist and have only your entries listed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: