Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi to Style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Midi to Style Reply with quote

I realize that this Mod is not in the PA5X yet (?).....

I wish to ask the PA4X User's if this was a useful Mod ?

Did it work as expected ?

Do you think it will ever come to the PA5X ?
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very usefull,

We all hope it will be there in 5 X.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Asena - it was very useful - I had some great results with it.

Unfortunately I am unable to predict the future of the PA5x

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
Personally never had much luck with it, probably the choice of midifile I was trying to convert, or maybe it got updated? and it improved.(I sold my Pa4x really early 😞).

Anyway, I think maybe Qui’s option

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=129108

might be of use for time being.

Simple enough to do , and one isn’t sacrificing tracks.

(Just in case you haven’t seen the video)

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Midi to Style Reply with quote

keyboard wrote:

Did it work as expected ?

Yes and no.

I always made my own styles, so only used it a few times to see how good it was. I came to this conclusion that it was a useful feature in that you could come up with something to practice with or buy time until you actually come up with something better. The results were violently different. I don't know how the Pa5x version would be, but at the time the whole process was fully automated.

I remember I tried a pretty good midi file and I wasn't impressed with the results. Then decided to help the bot. I edited the midi file, cleaned it up, took out questionable sections and came up with a much more suitable midi file and tried again. The result was actually worse than before!

But all in all, it's a useful feature, as long as you don't expect it to spit out a fully functional Style. Even if you get 1 playable variation out of it, it's still good enough.

QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi to Style Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

Yes and no.

I always made my own styles, so only used it a few times to see how good it was. I came to this conclusion that it was a useful feature in that you could come up with something to practice with or buy time until you actually come up with something better. The results were violently different. I don't know how the Pa5x version would be, but at the time the whole process was fully automated.

I remember I tried a pretty good midi file and I wasn't impressed with the results. Then decided to help the bot. I edited the midi file, cleaned it up, took out questionable sections and came up with a much more suitable midi file and tried again. The result was actually worse than before!

But all in all, it's a useful feature, as long as you don't expect it to spit out a fully functional Style. Even if you get 1 playable variation out of it, it's still good enough.

I totally agree!

The midi creator bot is in my opinion more like a gimmick. Of course you can help the results by cleaning up the midi file (removing the not needed tracks, setting the correct midi channels, etc), but even then most of the time you can get one variation that can be used for the song.

But especially if you are a commercial style maker, just do it in a DAW, it's so easy to create full styles from existing midi files, or by recording your own midi files in a DAW. It's really just a matter of assigning some labels and set the correct channels and do some revoicing on the pa5x.

When you have done this a few times then this doesn't take long for perfect full new styles.

For instance I have over 120 song styles now converted from yamaha styles. And when you have done so many styles than the time it takes me to do this is 2 minutes for converting the style to pa5x format and about 5 minutes for the revoicing / mixing process. So around 7 minutes to convert a yamaha midi style to a pa5x style, once you are experienced with it.

No way that you would ever get the same end result with the midi creator bot on the pa4x.

When creating styles from midi files (so where you have to decide yourself what parts goes where), then it takes longer. Because in most cases the downloaded midi files aren't that great quality, so you have to edit the midi events in them to make them correct (which the creator bot also doesn't do on a pa4x).

But even then, it doesn't take long. And Korg made it extremely easy to create styles in a daw (which is much more suited to create styles) and transfer it to the pa5x. In the yamaha genos it's much more complex (with the casm blocks for instance) to create styles.

But on the pa5x the process is very easy to do.

So to conclude:
the creator bot is a nice feature for users that just want to have some luck with the conversion in one variation. Professional sound designers or style makers should never use the creator bot, just use the tools that are available, we live in 2023, so why not use the much better tools for this we have nowadays.

So to conclude, how to do it:
- use a DAW that supports labels
- load a midi file or the song parts yourself (you can use your pa5x in the daw with just one usb cable for the midi connection)
- assign the labels to the sections you want to use
- export it as a midi 0 file
- import it in a new style
- do the revoicing

there are tutorials on my youtube channel where I show this process so you can see how easy it is once you know how the label and channel requirements for styles work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: